You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I think I played this badly... any thoughts?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This was only the 4th hand at the start of a MTT so I had no reads. I would never have played K2 at this stage, but got to see a flop for free in the Big Blind.
jimstor111 Small blind  10.00 10.00 2320.00
Pysterman Big blind  20.00 30.00 1960.00
 Your hole cards
  • K

Frogmella Fold     
allinmikey Fold     
sticks31 Fold     
krisb79 Call  20.00 50.00 1710.00
jimstor111 Call  10.00 60.00 2310.00
Pysterman Check     
Flop

• K

jimstor111 Bet  60.00 120.00 2250.00
Pysterman Call  60.00 180.00 1900.00
krisb79 Fold     
Turn

jimstor111 Bet  20.00 200.00 2230.00
Pysterman Call  20.00 220.00 1880.00
River

jimstor111 Bet  220.00 440.00 2010.00
Pysterman Call  220.00 660.00 1660.00
jimstor111 Show
  • Q
  • K

Pysterman Muck
  • K

jimstor111 Win Two Pairs, Kings and 8s 660.00  2670.00
My Rationale

I flat called his raise. I think I was trying to trap him into shoving on the turn/river. There was no reason for him to think I'd hit anything and this was a 713-player low stakes tournament where people tend to go crazy early on and try to double up. [Was this a valid play?]

I don't like the 8 on the turn. Not only has my hand been forfeited (I'm now losing to virtually any King), but there is now the possibility of trips if he was betting on 2nd pair. I am also suspicious of his strange minimum bet on the turn - is he trying to trap ME now?

I don't really know whether the call on the river was correct. I suspect not. My hand was losing against any 8 or K. I guess I felt just wanted to know what he had to start to get a read on him. So early on, he could have been playing with anything.

In hindsight, I reckon I should probably have re-raised him with a proper sized bet on the turn to ascertain where I was, although this would have cost me almost as much in the end anyway.

Comments

• edited September 2011

raise flop, fold river

• edited September 2011
    In Response to I think I played this badly... any thoughts?:

1.I guess I felt just wanted to know what he had to start to get a read on him. 
    2. In hindsight, I reckon I should probably have re-raised him with a proper sized bet on the turn to ascertain where I was, although this would have cost me almost as much in the end anyway.
    Posted by Pysterman

dont ever bother doing the first bit, losing chips unnecessarily getting a worthless read thet will never help you. 

you should not have re-raised him to ascetain where you are in the hand, its not req m8 playing a big pot early on is a big no no. when the 8 falls you should be thinking of mucking, its ok to call the 20 on the turn but for me its a fold on the river, its rarely a bluff,or at least give him credit as its the first hand with him.

• edited September 2011
    i would'nt try trapping at this stage and with that kind of hand, the reason for that is if his hand improves at all then your behind more often than not. You should raise the flop, if you want you can try double barrelling but im just taking my time and giving up on the turn.
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Yeah, I think I knew I'd played it badly at the time. It was only my 2nd ever MTT, so I'm still learning.

Having said that, is there such thing as the opposite of tilting? e.g. when you play a hand badly and it acts like a slap in the face and makes you concentrate and play better on subsequent hands?

Anyway, I refocussed and for the rest of the tournament I don't think I ever got myself involved in a major pot where I was behind, and was lucky enough not get outdrawn, at least not until the latter stages when I being forced all-in. I eventually came 9th (out of 713), going out when my AK failed to connect (vs 66).
  • edited September 2011
    Easy raise on flop can't favom why you wouldn't.

Turn gotta call, river fold.
  • edited September 2011
    713 player low stakes tourny ?? its a freeroll then yeah ??
  • edited September 2011
    Always going to be raising flop here.  Grim turn, I think I shut it down, opt for pot control, likely folding to significant action.

But then theres the min lead on turn.  Have to admit I often read these wrong.  Often seems like oponent is testing the strength of your hand to see if you raise him - if you dont often overbetting river if your not going to raise at turn.  But most often its just a "person" not knowing how to bet their hand. 
  • edited September 2011
    just read OP

You should raise flop...
    When the eight comes it kills your hand, you only have a bluff catcher on river.

raise turn as bluff or fold - calling here does nothing 

fold river

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: I think I played this badly... any thoughts?:
    just read OP You should raise flop... When the eight comes it kills your hand, you only have a bluff catcher on river. raise turn as bluff or fold - calling here does nothing  fold river
    Posted by rancid
    Really? what better hands do you expect randomer in low buy in tourney to fold?

As for calling, I think we can cos he bets worse hands sometimes