You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 days later and its still bugging me

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
was playing the me on sat at dtd and 1 particular hand has been bugging me .  blinds 100/200. graham (eyeman) raises utg to 600, has been serial raising for the first few hrs peg1 re pops it to 3k, folds round to me in the bb and i have 99s. stack sizes eyeman 20k peg 6k behind and me on 11k. i think flatting is a bad idea due to pegs and my stack sizes (although some may not agree) so my thinking is jam or fold. spent a couple of mins thinking this over and decided to bail out. eyeman puts peg to the sword peg calls eyeman shows 5s peg ak . not only do the 5s hold but first card on flop was a 9!. being a pretty deep event was this the right move. all that went through my head was do i want to go out with 9s after calling a raise and reaise, hence the fold. on the other hand it was the 4th time eyeman had done this in tourny and peg woulda noticed this and is well capable of 3 betting light.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    55 bb's deep I fold.
  • edited September 2011
    UTG 600 then repopped to 3k?  Awful bet sizes.  Auto muck the 9's.  Really wont to be picking spots with less resistance.  Is a jam or fold spot, cant flat.  But I'm always going to lean heavily towards fold.

You have 55bb's.  Play poker, not bingo here.  GF IMO.  Really want to get it in vs AK here?
  • edited September 2011
    I really like magic 9's. Especially black ones. I think they are lucky.
    It's a tough spot. I'd JAM with black 9's but fold red 9's or the red and black variety.
  • edited September 2011

Good fold v Peg imo!
  • edited September 2011
    If no nine on flop you wouldn't even be thinking about it.
    Forget the result, it's a good fold.
    You can find better spots than this to get all them bigs over the line.

Agree Eyeman your not concerned about, your at least racing with Peg.
    Most of the time Peg turns over 10's+

• edited September 2011
    People can say as they please but ultimately tourney poker is just bingo at some point. Is what bothers you that you went against your instincts ? The 9's were calling to you weren't they ? What i love about 9's is firstly they are a very powerful hand and secondly they are lucky.
    I'm being totally serious when i say i would fold J-J there ( v. unlucky hand ) but not 9's.
    Poker is weird isn't it ? Try not to focus too much on the so-called skill element next time maybe ?  It's that sort of apprehension that the bully boys, good players, whatever you want to call them constantly exploit to build up their stax.
    Know what i mean ? Having a few cheeky drinkies can really help overcome the fear factor.
    Saying all that you didn't do anything really wrong. I wouldn't worry about it too much man. GL in the future.
  • edited September 2011
    i think black mass, it was the amount of moves being made on the table, now im not saying there were any easy tables at an event like that, but daiboot , peg, jamesl ,julian thew to name a few, it was pret ty hard to find places to pick up chips. 3 and 4 bets pre were more common than not. gut instinct told me i was ahead of eyeman and was going to reraise but it was pegs raise that had me stumped. like aymbr says it was a "strange" size re raise. either it was an isolating bet or a scared protecting bet. i have watched him play nl300 quite a few times and from utg+1 i had to respect it (i think) phil
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: 2 days later and its still bugging me:
    People can say as they please but ultimately tourney poker is just bingo at some point. Is what bothers you that you went against your instincts ? The 9's were calling to you weren't they ? What i love about 9's is firstly they are a very powerful hand and secondly they are lucky. I'm being totally serious when i say i would fold J-J there ( v. unlucky hand ) but not 9's. Poker is weird isn't it ? Try not to focus too much on the so-called skill element next time maybe ?  It's that sort of apprehension that the bully boys, good players, whatever you want to call them constantly exploit to build up their stax. Know what i mean ? Having a few cheeky drinkies can really help overcome the fear factor. Saying all that you didn't do anything really wrong. I wouldn't worry about it too much man. GL in the future.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    At some point, yes.  But not @ 55 bigs.

Totally acknowledge that my game is slightly risk averse.  But we dont have to be super aggro.  Key to winning poker is aggression.  But selective aggression.  3betting 5's to 3k at 100/200 after an UTG open of 600 is kamikaze IMO.

I like Elsadogs quote on this, be a sniper not a machine gunner.  Are you happy 4bet jamming here and getting snapped by AK and 10's upwards?  No.  I'm not playing 9's in a 3bet (before action gets to me) pot pre with nothing invested.  Especially when there is ample time to find easier prey.  But you describe an early aipf with 55's vs AK, when sat deep.  Which is certainly gamble.  How much gamble do you really want in a deep nicely paced MTT?
  • edited September 2011
    i think black mass, it was the amount of moves being made on the table, now im not saying there were any easy tables at an event like that, but daiboot , peg, jamesl ,julian thew to name a few, it was pret ty hard to find places to pick up chips. 3 and 4 bets pre were more common than not. gut instinct told me i was ahead of eyeman and was going to reraise but it was pegs raise that had me stumped. like aymbr says it was a "strange" size re raise. either it was an isolating bet or a scared protecting bet. i have watched him play nl300 quite a few times and from utg+1 i had to respect it (i think) phil
    Posted by pod1
    Jeez all of these names here , defo not easy playin so many serial raisers and bluffers ;))
  • edited September 2011
    lol deb, it wasnt! i lasted till 11 pm mind so not that unhappy. think i played ok, no excuses but was utterly card dead.
  • edited September 2011
    POD

Overall it was a good and correct fold - forget the nine on flop - BY THE WAY THE RAISE WAS 2K not 3K

The move by Eyeman was what I was looking for - did not expect 55 though - high pair yes

lost race how it goes - correct by you in long run incorrect call by Eyeman

remember I folded JJ 4 times pre flop against races so folding 99 is in my mond a correct call

Correct though tough table
  • edited September 2011
    POD Overall it was a good and correct fold - forget the nine on flop - BY THE WAY THE RAISE WAS 2K not 3K The move by Eyeman was what I was looking for - did not expect 55 though - high pair yes lost race how it goes - correct by you in long run incorrect call by Eyeman remember I folded JJ 4 times pre flop against races so folding 99 is in my mond a correct call Correct though tough table
    Posted by peg1

Nice of you to post peg, I know you normally dont.

I was kind of waiting for this post as the bet sizes sounded ludicrous to me and hoping that Pod had maybe errored.

2k IP to isolate seems better :p
  • edited September 2011
    Good fold and still didnt last longer pfft fish ;)
  • edited September 2011
    tnx for putting me right peg, memory not what is was lol. again tnx for the imput to, like ambyr says it isnt as often as most in the clinic would like as we value feedback from players like yourselves., yg you know its just a loan so dont go spending it bud!
  • edited September 2011
    was a good fold mate regardless of everything else id rather not be racing w/ 55bbs in a tourney with that structure so many better spots to get it in
  • edited September 2011
    If you 4bet shove the nines here its a bluff
  • edited September 2011
    very true grantorino, eyeman says he woulda folded if i jammed but i dont think peg would of, and considering he was the one i was most worried about i decided against it.