You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River shove - call or fold?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Villains been sat at the table with me for a good hour or so. He's been getting involved in a fair few pots & once he decides to see a flop he rarely let's go pre.

One hand in particular stood out for me regarding villain earlier in the session. I was in the BB, UTG raised 4x & villain min 3b UTG+1. Button called & the blinds folded. The original raiser (UTG) then shoved for ~110BB. Villain snapped him off for ~70BB (fwiw the guy on the button snapped it off too but that's irrelevant). Villains' 3b & subsequent call to the 4b shove was with QJs so I now know that he loves any kind of SC.

With that in mind I was wary when he lead out on the flop but called as I had position & could re-evaluate on the turn. Turn card is both good & bad for me imo. If he's flopped the straight then I can only win by housing up. Is this a bad call on the turn here or should I just let go?

A total blank on the river gives me a tough decision. I've got a strong hand but knowing his love of all things connected I could easily be beat here. Does anyone make the call here?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
VILLAIN Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £16.74
TheRat1 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £4.06
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

Mikes_Nuts Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.32 £0.44 £22.99
keeley0244 Fold     
VILLAIN Call  £0.28 £0.72 £16.46
TheRat1 Call  £0.24 £0.96 £3.82
Flop

• K

VILLAIN Bet  £0.96 £1.92 £15.50
TheRat1 Fold     
silentbob Call  £0.96 £2.88 £22.03
Turn

• K

VILLAIN Bet  £2.88 £5.76 £12.62
silentbob Call  £2.88 £8.64 £19.15
River

VILLAIN All-in  £12.62 £21.26 £0.00
silentbob Call or Fold?    

Comments

• edited September 2011
    i think u can put him on the king here, maybe AK aswell or more likely KQ KJ due to your reads and him leading out so strong so yes i would make the call, if he turns over the str8 or a set of 9's or tens then ul but from what you say he could have anything and betting this strong so i think ur ahead.
    For the record if your not happy on turn fold or raise (Raise being for info)
  • edited September 2011
    The way its played out i cant fold the river and im hoping he turns KQ KJ
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: River shove - call or fold?:
    i think u can put him on the king here, maybe AK aswell or more likely KQ KJ due to your reads and him leading out so strong so yes i would make the call, if he turns over the str8 or a set of 9's or tens then ul but from what you say he could have anything and betting this strong so i think ur ahead. For the record if your not happy on turn fold or raise (Raise being for info)
    Posted by Batkin88
    Yh I wouldn't be doing this too often lol

As for hand I probably call flop as well, turn when bet into again I raise and get it in.

As played snap river bet off.
  • edited September 2011
    I'd snap of the river as you have underrepresented your hand, if they have QJ then just make a note that next time they shove with the nuts, also bit of a weird shove if they have a flush i have to call
  • edited September 2011
    its a tough spot do u think the villian would lead out on the flop and turn for the pot and shove the river wae hands like kq,kj, hands that u beat if yes call or is the villian doin it with qj,10s,9s,k10 or k9 hands that have us beat if u dont have any notes on player a personally call and make a note whatever the outcome but im not 100% confident im good here but you do have a strong hand.
  • edited September 2011

I might raise flop

I definitely raise turn, and its not for info, its for big fat value

call river

• edited September 2011
    Thanks peeps.

In hindsight I think my biggest mistake was probably just calling the turn. If, as suggested, I'd raised there then the river is a snap call.

As it was I folded at the last second. There was just something telling me I was behind here but I can't quite put my finger on what it was. I kinda wish I'd called now just to see what he was doing this with but it seemed like an expensive way to find out.