You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Old firm in premiership?

edited October 2009 in The Shed
Does any1 in England acually want to see Celtic and Rangers in the premieship? lol
The only club bigger than Celtic in terms of fan base in England is Man Utd but we all saw what happened when Rangers got to the UEFA Cup final.

Do you think that will scupper any chances we have of playing against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc or will SKY just tell every1 in England that they will take the old firm down there lol. The Old firm derby is the biggest derby in Europe and woud also add something extra to the premiership!

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Old firm in premiership?:
    Does any1 in England acually want to see Celtic and Rangers in the premieship? lol The only club bigger than Celtic in terms of fan base in England is Man Utd but we all saw what happened when Rangers got to the UEFA Cup final. Do you think that will scupper any chances we have of playing against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc or will SKY just tell every1 in England that they will take the old firm down there lol. The Old firm derby is the biggest derby in Europe and woud also add something extra to the premiership!
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    I don't think it would be fair on the other scottish clubs they would go out of business if the big 2 left they need the income from the 4 big home games per year they get are the equivalent of league one clubs in ability, stadiums and fan bases.If they did move the big two down here i think stick them in the championship and let them EARN there place in the prem that's my opinion anyway:-)
  • edited October 2009
    I have a couple of views on this

1. I think they are good enough to be there but then it would'nt be called the English premiership.

2. If they let them in to the English premiership that would be the end of lower league scottish football, unless they imalgamate all of the scottish and english teams which is very unlikely.
  • edited October 2009
    It would be disastrous for scottish football and at least the bigotry is contained up here.

Unfortunatly I think they may have a case to join english league based on the fact cardiff, swansea are there already.

But would they start in lower divisions?
  • edited October 2009
    I don't think either of the old firm have the quality to cope in the premier league to be honest. I think that the Celtic's result against Motherwell at the weekend and Rangers results against Aberdeen and Killie have shown the true level that the old firm are capable of. Not to mention the 4 1 Rangers are currently being beat by a team nobody has heard of.

If they want a better quality of team to play against then they should stop cherry picking the best players from the rest of the teams for next to no money, it's a vicious circle.
  • edited October 2009
    so what would you do in 5 years when they are in the conference?
  • edited October 2009

To be honest with you , if they allowed that to happen english football would go down in ratings , both of them clubs suk .. Always remember that the SPL is equivelant to England 3rd division teams ....
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Old firm in premiership?:
     To be honest with you , if they allowed that to happen english football would go down in ratings , both of them clubs suk .. Always remember that the SPL is equivelant to England 3rd division teams ....
    Posted by D_O_A
    Do you watch the SPL on a regular basis? If not then you really can't give an opinion on the quality of football.
    There are some excellent players in the SPL. Not just with the old firm, for instance Kevin Kyle at Killie who was a goalscorer in the Premiership.