You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Phobias

edited September 2011 in The Shed

I've got a really horrible phobia of spiders & crane flies so this time of the year is a real nightmare for me. I spent half an hour being chased round the living room earlier when a crane fly got in!

The thing is, I know my fear is totally irrational but no matter how hard I try I just can't overcome it. The worst thing is if I see a spider or something when I'm with my 3 year old girl I have to try my hardest to be "brave" so she doesn't grow up with the same fear (I don't think that's working though).

In the grand scheme of things my fear is quite common (not that it makes me feel any better) but I've met some people with (what seems like) some real bizarre phobias. I knew a guy who had a morbid fear of tomatoes!

Who else wants to share their phobias (& ways to deal with them too)

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I HAVE PHOBIA OFF BEING MARRIED, EVERY MORNING I HAVE TO WAKE UP TO MISSES.
  • edited September 2011

I live occasionally in the shadow of fear of the Toilet Roll Ghost.
    It visits once, maybe twice a year, always at night  and spirits away a single toilet roll.
    I wouldn't class this as a phobia because my fears are justifiable. The Toilet Roll Ghost is real !
    Has anyone else been the victim of this phantom ? I'm sure i'm not alone. Can anyone assign a motive to this spectral pilferer ? Perhaps it is the ghost of a playful, Labrador puppy woefully short of toys on the Astral Plane ? Maybe something more  bleak and sinister ?
    Any help here would be gratefully received !
  • edited September 2011
     May-be not so much a Phobia more a fear which comes from a recurring dream I have about walking through the high street and finding I have no clothes on.  Everyone staring, leering and laughing at me and no where to hide. I wake up shaking like a leaf.  Bridget Jones I could handle but starkers no.!  It's not funny to keep getting this dream and Hubby telling me,  do it for real to get rid of it,  people having a Phobia of Spiders have to confront the fear by holding one and then the fear goes.   Well if he thinks I'm going to walk down the high street with no clothes on to get rid of the dream and fear.     "Dream on Buster". !    He does think his little jokes are funny,  wish I hadn't told him now. ?   "Men are you sure"
  • edited September 2011
    I had the biggest fear of spiders until recently, couldn't enter a room if I knew there was one in there.......My dad's friend is a well known hypnotist in our area and after months of everyone bullying me into it (very skeptical of all things like that) I eventually paid him a visit last Sunday....

Although it was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life it worked!!!  Yesterday I came across an absolute monster of a spider in the bathroom.  The initial fright was still there but I managed to squash the beast no problem!!  (not quite ready to catch them and put them outside!)

Would definitely recommend hypnotism to anyone with any fears and phobias :)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Phobias:
    I had the biggest fear of spiders until recently, couldn't enter a room if I knew there was one in there.......My dad's friend is a well known hypnotist in our area and after months of everyone bullying me into it (very skeptical of all things like that) I eventually paid him a visit last Sunday.... Although it was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life it worked!!!  Yesterday I came across an absolute monster of a spider in the bathroom.  The initial fright was still there but I managed to squash the beast no problem!!  (not quite ready to catch them and put them outside!) Would definitely recommend hypnotism to anyone with any fears and phobias :)
    Posted by lisar83
    Please.......?
    don't kill spiders because it has been unlucky since a spider spun a web over baby Jesus to hide him from Herod.
  • edited September 2011
    I had the biggest fear of spiders until recently, couldn't enter a room if I knew there was one in there.......My dad's friend is a well known hypnotist in our area and after months of everyone bullying me into it (very skeptical of all things like that) I eventually paid him a visit last Sunday.... Although it was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life it worked!!!  Yesterday I came across an absolute monster of a spider in the bathroom.  The initial fright was still there but I managed to squash the beast no problem!!  (not quite ready to catch them and put them outside!) Would definitely recommend hypnotism to anyone with any fears and phobias :)
    Posted by lisar83
    The thing is, if I can help it I don't actually want to kill 'em cos they are a living creature after all & they do have a purpose. I'd love to try hypnotherapy but I don't have the money.
  • edited September 2011
    I live occasionally in the shadow of fear of the Toilet Roll Ghost. It visits once, maybe twice a year, always at night  and spirits away a single toilet roll. I wouldn't class this as a phobia because my fears are justifiable. The Toilet Roll Ghost is real ! Has anyone else been the victim of this phantom ? I'm sure i'm not alone. Can anyone assign a motive to this spectral pilferer ? Perhaps it is the ghost of a playful, Labrador puppy woefully short of toys on the Astral Plane ? Maybe something more  bleak and sinister ? Any help here would be gratefully received !
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
     its quite simple to explain the loss of your loo rolls, but first  a couple of questions.

do you have any sons, aged  14 or above ???

If yes   lol   its not a ghost
  • edited September 2011
    I have absolutely no phobias that i can think of, OK i may have one, i just havn't discovered it yet, and to be honest i cannot understand all these illogical irrational fears that people have. Having said that, i do have a respect for things that will cause me harm, i don't put my hand in boiling water (i have no fear of boiling water) i don't go swimming in shark infested waters with blood around me (i have no fear of fish) but i am sensible (though my wife says im not)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Phobias :  its quite simple to explain the loss of your loo rolls, but first  a couple of questions.  do you have any sons, aged  14 or above ???    If yes   lol   its not a ghost
    Posted by bludreid11

Lol i don't man.
    But i have just remembered that i killed a Labrador puppy one dark and stormy night about 20 years or so ago.
    I think it was an accident.....
  • edited September 2011
    i have a fear of poker but im faceing my fears head on :)