You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

100nl, tp after 4b bluff in position.

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Opponent posts in the clinic and it's clear that he knows what he's on about from his posts.

First time I've ever played him, and he hadn't been at the table very long.

From what I remember though, I'd opened loads of buttons, I think 4 of the last 5 buttons I'd opened, and he might have defended once or twice, but just given up on the flop, or something, no post flop history.

I just had a feeling that he'd got fed up of me opening in late position. He's obv very capable of playing back light, or I'd assume he is anyway. Is this a mistake to assume things, and anticipate things, rather than waiting to see for sure?

Post flop, I've improved from a bluff to top pair again.

Without any post flop reads, what line do you think is best?

Bet fold, bet call, or check?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
miekemur08 Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £70.71
xxxBig blind  £1.00 £1.50 £89.35
  Your hole cards
  • J

RemyMartin Fold     
varney Fold     
Sakugawa22 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.00 £4.50 £160.48
miekemur08 Call  £2.50 £7.00 £68.21
xxxRaise  £11.00 £18.00 £78.35
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £20.00 £38.00 £140.48
miekemur08 Fold     
xxxCall  £11.00 £49.00 £67.35
Flop

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  £17.00 £66.00 £123.48
xxxAll-in  £67.35 £133.35 £0.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  £50.35 £183.70 £73.13
xxxShow

DOHHHHHHH Show
  • J

Comments

• edited September 2011
    if this was nl4-30 you know what the posts would be commin at you!!! i like your pre flop play to be fair. not sure if i like post. can i ask why c bet is so small,was it to induce re raise? had you made your mind up to put it allin after seeing flop? why not jam? why not bail after his all in?  so many questions lol. could you run through thought process of post flop play please in other words mate!
  • edited September 2011
    4 bet bluff gotta love it lol, you say he a forum poster and poss a  good playerbut tbh i dont rate players who dont top up(suppose thats nothing)

I like ur cbet but only if it was intentional, and if you knew where you were in the hand, i mean it allows your oppo bluff since he has fold eq against you, so its best to bet bigger if you gonna fold to a shove. So great play imo if you got him beat here, but tbh id bet flop bigger withought reads or even check behind because if i 4 bet him with 10j and got called id be looking for 2pairs(not inc paired boards),draws, etc.
  • edited September 2011

My line post flop is something I've learnt from the clinic.

Last few times I'd got myself in this kinda situation (some would say mess, lol) - I've been criticised for betting too big.

I've flopped top pair in a 4b pot v an 90xbb stack, so I don't think I'm ever folding. I bet really small to induce the shove, if he has air and I bet big he just check folds. If he has me beat, he just crai.

So although his range is still supposed to be in good shape v me even after I flop top pair, at least it includes some bluffs after I bet small. Although again to assume this without a read is probably bad?

I was hovering over the call button just waiting for the jam, and snappvd within 0.021 seconds.

But maybe checking behind the flop was better, I dunno.

• edited September 2011
    i dont think i would have called allin, folded with my tailbetween my legs lol
  • edited September 2011
    Interesting hand dohhh , what do you put villian on pre flop ??

IF he had QQ would he not have jammed on ya pre ??

Wouldnt surprise me if he had AK maybe ?? is A 10 a poss ??

I think you have played the hand well and i hope ya got ure reward
  • edited September 2011
    i think if you bet for a valid reason i dont think you should be criticised,

but here i lean more towards checking back but if i was gonna bet i would make it 24-25 aim to take it down on the flop and fold to a shove(kinda sucks and tbh on a paired board i dont think i would do this).

imo you dont want worse/air to call or bluff you because villains "Air" here would be AKcombos and not much else, villain may think 88< may be good here and shoving them but unlikely.  also villain could play jj poss qq this way but im gona be result orientated here if you got him beat, its great ballsy play wp lol  
  • ybyb
    edited September 2011
    check back flop w/o better reads imo, when regs flat 4bets 90bbs deep they normally have these sort of boards crushed.

if you want to take this line your sizings are good though.
  • edited September 2011
    stop 4betting with terrible hands to 4bet with
  • edited September 2011

im curious now, has he got AA

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: 100nl, tp after 4b bluff in position.:
    im curious now, has he got AA
    Posted by leon621
    I gurantee they dont have AA
  • edited September 2011
    stop 4betting with terrible hands to 4bet with
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Blimey if I'm bluffing, surely my cards don't matter?

Of all the hands I could do it with, I'd have thought TJ isn't too bad?????

What shud I be doing it with? Or shud I stop doing it altogether!!!
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: 100nl, tp after 4b bluff in position. : I gurantee they dont have AA
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    i know but im just expecting something bizarre K9 suited or AA for some crazy reason, obviously these hardly ever happen but im still waiting for it lol
  • ybyb
    edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: 100nl, tp after 4b bluff in position. : Blimey if I'm bluffing, surely my cards don't matter? Of all the hands I could do it with, I'd have thought TJ isn't too bad????? What shud I be doing it with? Or shud I stop doing it altogether!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    with better blockers than a ten and a jack
  • edited September 2011
    These sort of hands scare me lol
  • edited September 2011
    lol dude,i agree. its definatly a big jump nl50/100 to anything else.  i see people worry about going from 4-8 and 10-20 etc but i think nl100 is where it starts getting fun!!
  • edited September 2011
    lol dude,i agree. its definatly a big jump nl50/100 to anything else.  i see people worry about going from 4-8 and 10-20 etc but i think nl100 is where it starts getting fun!!
    Posted by pod1
    I've completely skipped 50nl.

Playing over-rolled at 30nl for like 75 years means I'm easily rolled for 100nl, and it just seems so much easier than 50nl. 

But that sounds as stupid as someone who says 20nl is easier than 4nl.

Oppo had K3 of spades in this hand. Brag/advertising/etc, it seems there isn't much clinic discussion of hands 50nl and above really, which is kinda understandable.

But thanx to everyone who replied.
  • edited September 2011
    i understand what you mean jj, i find nl30 (with the right table selection) easier and much more profitable than 10/20 which can be manic at the best of times. nice call mate, as you can tell i aint ready for that type of play yet!
  • edited September 2011
    i understand what you mean jj, i find nl30 (with the right table selection) easier and much more profitable than 10/20 which can be manic at the best of times. nice call mate, as you can tell i aint ready for that type of play yet!
    Posted by pod1
    Aint it weird how diff players find levels lower TOUGHER than levels higher , ive just started playin nl20 and im findin it better so far than nl10 , strange ;))
  • edited September 2011
    you really choose strange hands to 3 and 4bet bluff

I'd prob 4bet a little bigger, although him being short makes it awkward

Postflop idk, I prob check back with your limited reads but if you are betting I like your sizing and snap the shove
  • edited September 2011
    you really choose strange hands to 3 and 4bet bluff I'd prob 4bet a little bigger, although him being short makes it awkward Postflop idk, I prob check back with your limited reads but if you are betting I like your sizing and snap the shove
    Posted by grantorino
    This is because I pick the time to do it, rather than the hand to do it with...

I thought that would be more important?

I'll have to read up on what to bluff with pre. Or just stop doing it.

I have something in my head that says suited King rag hands are good hands to do it with? But thats like 1 blocker, and surely doesn't make too much difference?
  • edited September 2011

I may be wrong on some of this, but anyway

I dont think you always have to have hands with better blockers but as you are usually making a kind of educated guess when you do this, you may as well do it when your hand is a little more sutiable. I understand why you 4b here, and I dont mind it, but you usually seem to have unusual hands for doing it with when you post these type of hands here (could be advertising :)). Obv the situation is important also.

I would think your cards are more important when you 3bet bluff than 4bet bluff (not sure though) as you are much more likely to be flatted, and his range is usally less polarised.

Also a K blocks significantly more value hands than a J.

• edited September 2011
    this is way above my level if thinking, but i need to ask, if we are 3/4bet bluffing can we assume that the oppenent has a half decent hand to come along with you. would this not involve a  king on many occasions kk ak, so would you 4 bet bluffing with a king get you into more trouble than a jack(if one comes down) like i say this is above my pay grade. or is this range merging. please help as i would like to get to grips with this level of thinking.

• edited September 2011
    you have leveled yourself pre. imo.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: 100nl, tp after 4b bluff in position. : Aint it weird how diff players find levels lower TOUGHER than levels higher , ive just started playin nl20 and im findin it better so far than nl10 , strange ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    How would you say it's better, more fish ?
  • edited September 2011
    this is way above my level if thinking, but i need to ask, if we are 3/4bet bluffing can we assume that the oppenent has a half decent hand to come along with you. would this not involve a  king on many occasions kk ak, so would you 4 bet bluffing with a king get you into more trouble than a jack(if one comes down) like i say this is above my pay grade. or is this range merging. please help as i would like to get to grips with this level of thinking.
    Posted by pod1
    Well this is way above my level also but I'd imagine that's not the case, because (this is just my thinking and I don't play anywhere near this level so I could be completely wrong) but when you're 3/4bet bluffing with say K4, you're not doing it to try and hit a king and then think you're good. You're doing it to represent massive strength and continue to do it throughout the hand if need be to make better hands fold. Thus it doesnt really matter, obviously if they have KK and a K comes out, you're not getting him to fold but that's pretty unlikely, especially if you have a K yourself.
  • edited September 2011
    a really interesting hand!

As the villain here posts in the clinic, i wonder if he/she might see this, remember it, and advise us why they flat called the four bet, and the reason for this.  (this is an odd flat with junk imo, k3s, when they are only 110bbs deep.) I guess they had a plan, which went wrong when dohhhhhh connected with the board. But If i thought dohhhhhh was at it (he always is:), i would five bet jam pre!!

Another question, What would he/she do preflop in this situation if they had a monster premium hand?
  • edited September 2011
    On this point of hand selection if you are going to make a 4-bet bluff. Should you be doing it with total junk hands such as 74 or 42? rather than hands with picture cards since you are less likely to be dominated by your opponent's range.

I've never even considered a 4-bet bluff at the level I'm currently playing (NL4) since most 4-bets at this level are all in anyway. But I was just wondering what is considered more profitable.

If you do it with 74 then you are almost certain that the opponent doesn't have a seven in their hand. However your opponent could more likely have a jack.
  • edited September 2011
    You NEVER bluff at 4NL, certainly not a 4bet bluff!
  • edited September 2011
    basically what i was saying jugglegeek, if your gonna do it lets stay away from anything that may connect my hand and his

• edited September 2011
    Usually when we 4bet bluff we have opened pre, so we usually dont have complete muck

We are rarely getting flatted (assuming 100bb deep against reggy villain)so our hand value or being dominated doesnt really matter, so I prefer have blockers to his likely shoving range

3bet bluffing is slightly different as its much more likely we get flatted, but hands like Axs, Kxs can have decent equity on some boards, as well as blockers to villains continuing range,  whereas theres not many boards we like with 74o when villain flats a 3bet.