You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

seriously missing something

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
ok now its got to the level where i KNOW im seriously missing something, i got the chance to watch TheDon yesterday, he told me which table he would go on to make money, he even named the player that was going to give him the money, i attempted to join him on that table and yes Don took half the guys stack (the guy started with over £20

now me, i am on the same table, i make the same raise sizes, he is guessing my cards saying that its a good thing he can guess my cards cus that means im playing ABC poker properly, and yet, i lost 3 BIs, my 2 pair getting beaten by better 2 pairs, my flushes getting beaten by Full houses.

Now im putting it down to cus everyone wanted to take that same guys money, but the fact is he was able to tell me who he would get his money from, he knew he could get players to call his pot sized raises, and yet whenever im at a table i put a half pot raise in and everyone folds, except of course when they have something, and whenever they have something, i always have something aswell, whether it be trips two pairs, flush draws, so what am i missing, how can someone go to the lobby and chose the right table?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to seriously missing something:
    ok now its got to the level where i KNOW im seriously missing something, i got the chance to watch TheDon yesterday, he told me which table he would go on to make money, he even named the player that was going to give him the money, i attempted to join him on that table and yes Don took half the guys stack (the guy started with over £20 now me, i am on the same table, i make the same raise sizes, he is guessing my cards saying that its a good thing he can guess my cards cus that means im playing ABC poker properly, and yet, i lost 3 BIs, my 2 pair getting beaten by better 2 pairs, my flushes getting beaten by Full houses. Now im putting it down to cus everyone wanted to take that same guys money, but the fact is he was able to tell me who he would get his money from, he knew he could get players to call his pot sized raises, and yet whenever im at a table i put a half pot raise in and everyone folds, except of course when they have something, and whenever they have something, i always have something aswell, whether it be trips two pairs, flush draws, so what am i missing, how can someone go to the lobby and chose the right table?
    Posted by sillymunch
    I watched this game for a little while last night to see how you and The_Don90 were getting on.
    I think you made some major mistakes tho. I can tell you if you want my opinion.
    It will be criticism but i will make sure it's constructive.
  • edited September 2011

It doesn't matter if Don/other regs can read your hand, thats probably a good thing in a way.

The donks are the people you are trying to win money off. And there's millions of em.

They wont even try and read your hand, so don't worry.

• edited September 2011
    black mass i think that would be useful. I was reading things blind and discussing hands after they where played, problem being i was playing 2 tables with a number of serious fish and therefore a few times missed vital info.

I was able to pick up on sillymuch's range a little better and i discussed inparticular the two pair hand. Ill get critised for this but the villian who stacked him in the hand in question i dont think ever has worse. I cant remember the other hand where you got stacked mate.

If you can, post em up and we can discuss in more detail.

Also for note, post up any hands your unsure of, ive filled the clinic before (not recommended btw) but by posting regular on the clinic ive vastly improved my game. Also speak to Dohhhhh and get his guide to NL4, ive not read it myself as i speak with him alot, but its rated as one of the best. The guys a genuis.
  • edited September 2011
    please do criticise, thats the reason im here, i know im missing something xD and i know its big lol, so definately do criticize :)

And DOHHHH i know its a good thing that the regs can read my hand, and i know the donks wont be reading my hand, my point was if he can read my hand then i am playing well, maybe xD

but right now im curious about black mass' POV
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: seriously missing something:
    please do criticise, thats the reason im here, i know im missing something xD and i know its big lol, so definately do criticize :) And DOHHHH i know its a good thing that the regs can read my hand, and i know the donks wont be reading my hand, my point was if he can read my hand then i am playing well, maybe xD but right now im curious about black mass' POV
    Posted by sillymunch
    The other thing i should mention mate, youve specifically pointed out me as a player youve watched. Ive played NL4 losing for 18 months. In this 18 months ive built up a better sense for it and i have a huge amount of notes on players. This does make life easier. When i started the diary Dohhhhh said i would finally crack it, i can crack higher and ive proven that in my mtt play, however i never could do NL4. And i think its that determination that ive managed to install that helps too.
  • edited September 2011
    grrrrr forget this time to type out my hands xD

Munch - SB [Js Kc]
    Clive - Raise 20p
    Vespilo - call 20p
    Munch - call 18p

Flop - 8d Ks Kd

Munch - check
    Clive - check
    Vespilo - bet 20p
    Munch - call 20p
    Clive - raise £1.44
    Vespilo - foid
    Munch - Raise [all in £3.93]
    Clive - call

Munch shows [Js Kc]
    Clive shows [As Kh]

Clive wins the pot, 

my onnitial thought here is something i have learnt and i dont know why i keep doing it
    I hate being given KJ, because its one that looks nice to the eyes, but from my own experience even when i hit i can easily be dominated

• edited September 2011
    ok so next hand

Robri [BB]
    pokerwin calls - 4p
    munch [7c 10c] - calls 4p
    robri - checks

Flop 6h 7s qd
    Robri - check
    pokerwin - check
    munch - check

Turn 10h
    Robri - bet 7p
    pokerwin - call
    munch raise - 42p
    robri raise - £1.14
    pokerwin - call £1.14
    munch - all in [3.54]
    pokerwin - folds
    robri - call £2.63

Robri - shows Qh 6s
    munch - shows 7c 10c

This hand, i wouldnt normally play, but because of pokerwin i felt 2 suited cards that can also turn into a straight the implied odds, since he calls most things with mediocre hands was good if i hit
    once i hit two pair nobody showed huge agression so i had no reason to believe my 2 pair wasnt good, was i meant to know he had flopped 2 pair
  • edited September 2011
    another hand

Munch [UTG] - Ad 8d - call 4p
    robri - call 4p
    pokerwin - call 2p
    Hunti - BB raise 4p
    munch - call 4p
    robri - call 4p
    pokerwin - call 4p

Flop 10d 6d 8c
    pokerwin - bet 32p
    Hunti folds
    Munch - call 32p
    robri - raise £1.60
    pokerwin - call £1.28
    sillymunch - call £1.28

Turn 
    Qc

Pokerwin - checks
    munch - checks
    robri - bet [£3.84]
    munch - call [all in £2.03]
    Robri - shows 7s 9s

River 9H

this is a hand i always like to see a cheap flop, but after re looking at the play i cant believe how badly i played it >< he was showing pure agression, i was not priced in at all to make the call and i made it anyways, 

I put it down to my judgement being clouded as i was keeping my eye on one player and not the whole table, but yes i will admit i was stupid in this hand xD
  • edited September 2011
    those were my 3 biggest losses last night hence the reason i chose to show them, but blackmass if you can think of any other hands then yep please do carry on to tell me, lol, im already criticizing myself cus as im looking back i feel that i wasnt playing my normal game :S but at the same time, it all comes down to that one thing, i have no clue who the calling stations are, nobody is willing to put in when i raise, they will call pre flop, but not to a second raise, if i try and slow play it then they just check, and the only time they raise then is if they have hit it big [better then me] its frustrating me cus im sitting on £19 BR, i keep getting it up to £37, thats the number i keep seeing, but as soon as it reaches that number BANG lose it all in one day, and its because of that one thing, i win small pots as nobody is willing to call, but then lose HUGE pots when they are willing to call
  • edited September 2011

KJos oop - tight, but fold pre when hand's already been raised.
    T7c - fold pre.
    A8d - fold pre.

I've sat in and watched a couple of your sessions I've thought that you were playing the table fish without too much thought for the table shark sat with position on you, and that your range is too wide.

Problem is with your range that if you hit someone may easily have hit harder, and if you limp in anything is possible.

• edited September 2011
    yeah as harding says fold all above hands pre. The T7 i still think you can fold turn. The KJ your always going broke when u hit.

Just fold em all pre.
  • edited September 2011
    Hand 1 - Easy fold pre, will be dominated alot. post flop kinda plays itself if youi have good notes on players mayb fold but i doubt it.

Hand 2 - Again fold pre if you want to play it (wouldn't recommend) come in with a raise. As played I might even bet out on flop to find out where i was in the hand. I think with all that action on the turn you can still fold.

Hand 3 - Just really ugly  fold pre again - If not come in with a raise. As played I get it all in on the flop with the nut flush draw and middle pair. i think the way you played it it's an easy fold on the turn?

Over all pre flop play is terrible all 3 hands i think are an easy fold pre flop. The way those hands have been played makes you look like a NL4 fish. You'd made decisions alot easier down the streets for yourself with better play preflop.
  • edited September 2011

Ok Munch. I watched for about 1/2 an hour till just after Don_90 left and i couldn't see your cards ( obv ) but some things were very clear.
    Table selection. Don had a 4 bi stack and so did another player. Another had just over 3 bi stack. The other 2 had normal full buy in but looked a bit tightish. This isn't the best table to sit down at. Try to find tables where there are some people in for less than full bi. And not bad boys with monstie stax. There were some i checked.
    I thought you were playing too many hands, passively and oop. You can't keep calling off Dons ( or any other players )  5x raises oop. Don quite rightly is gonna c-bet most flops and you are going to fold. It's a death sentence.
    You need to review your starting hand selection with regards to position and fold more hands like Q-9 os oop to button raises. You need to play your strong hands in position by re-raising. Try not to call so much. Be aware that when it goes utg raise, you call, bad boy don for example on button RAISE  you fold- this is donation. Think about the people behind you and how you are going to react.
    You did something real bad. I wasn't going to type fold man in the chatbox but i felt like it because it was obvious someone had flopped BIG. He had 7s-9s and flopped str8. You were calling off MASSIVE bets on a flush draw that improved to tp on turn. That turn bet he made was screaming fold but you didn't ( you had Ad-8d ) you must obey pot odds rule or it's suicide. With your stack size there were no implied odds to remotely justify it.
    As a general overview after 5 minutes it was obvious that Don was the better player on the evidence. He was on your left :(  If i'm totally honest you appeared to me that you were the one out of their depth ( not playing ABC! ) If i hadn't tried to get you to think more the other day i would have immediately occupied the seat Don left. I didn't but if i can see it so can other people. I will concede that a couple of the others play looked bad to me too but they were more aggressive than you and called less oop.
    Look maybe you were having a bad day. I couldn't see your cards. You need to read Dohhhhs guide again. If you understand it you have to implement it in your play. Not sure ask Dohhhh or anyone.
    I think you should tighten up. Focus more on position. Think re-raise or fold more than call. Choose softer tables. Try not to sit on right of known regs that outchip you 4-1. Obey pot odds always ( to start with ).
    I am not Phil Ivey ok and i don't want to trash you. It was late too maybe you were a bit tired ?
    Don't play sub-optimally just because you think a player is weaker. You can win the stax of the impetuous people that jump in short. Try not to let greed make you lose patience. Try not to think of people as fish. It's all relative. Do not overestimate your ability. Always think I AM A FISH MUST TRY HARDER because it will always be true throughout your poker life. Always more to learn for everybody.
    Please take this positively. I do not mean to offend, i want you to succeed. I believe that you can do a lot better and show good willingness. Dohhhh is loads better than me. If you post up hands listen to him. It'll be worth it. You read Don's diary, it takes hard work and losing and bad beats etc etc to learn. GL man !
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    Black mass, the hand in question is here.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    pokerwin10 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £17.93
    Hunti10 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.70
     Your hole cards

sillymunch Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.67
    The_Don90 Fold     
    robri Call  £0.04 £0.14 £8.39
    pokerwin10 Call  £0.02 £0.16 £17.91
    Hunti10 Raise  £0.04 £0.20 £3.66
    sillymunch Call  £0.04 £0.24 £3.63
    robri Call  £0.04 £0.28 £8.35
    pokerwin10 Call  £0.04 £0.32 £17.87
    Flop

pokerwin10 Bet  £0.32 £0.64 £17.55
    Hunti10 Fold     
    sillymunch Call  £0.32 £0.96 £3.31
    robri Raise  £1.60 £2.56 £6.75
    pokerwin10 Call  £1.28 £3.84 £16.27
    sillymunch Call  £1.28 £5.12 £2.03
    Turn

• Q

pokerwin10 Check     
    sillymunch Check     
    robri Bet  £3.84 £8.96 £2.91
    pokerwin10 Fold     
    sillymunch All-in  £2.03 £10.99 £0.00
    robri Unmatched bet  £1.81 £9.18 £4.72
    sillymunch Show
    • A

robri Show

River

robri Win Straight to the 10 £8.49  £13.21
    Im going to say a different route here as suggested.

Firstly, sorry munchy but just fold pre please. Really getting in OOP with A8 here is a killer. One the flop you flat twice. You have a pair + NFD your huge in this hand. Re-raise the 32p and jam over the re-raise imo. Ok so he has 97 thats just harshly unluky, but tbh theres only 4 hands i hate to be all in against here.
  • edited September 2011
    black mass i think that would be useful. I was reading things blind and discussing hands after they where played, problem being i was playing 2 tables with a number of serious fish and therefore a few times missed vital info. I was able to pick up on sillymuch's range a little better and i discussed inparticular the two pair hand. Ill get critised for this but the villian who stacked him in the hand in question i dont think ever has worse. I cant remember the other hand where you got stacked mate. If you can, post em up and we can discuss in more detail. Also for note, post up any hands your unsure of, ive filled the clinic before (not recommended btw) but by posting regular on the clinic ive vastly improved my game. Also speak to Dohhhhh and get his guide to NL4, ive not read it myself as i speak with him alot, but its rated as one of the best. The guys a genuis.
    Posted by The_Don90

You appeared to play a solid game to me and you were running fairly well at same time by looks of things. Your raise-sizing seemed good and you exploited position well in conjunction with that. You appeared confident.and weren't afraid to let go when you worked out you were behind. Another thing i thought was good was you weren't pushing people around on every button getting yourself into spots and reducing your credibility.
    It looked like you had the Dohhhh method rolling nicely.On the evidence of what i saw you played good ABC and just allowed the method to capitalise on other peoples mistakes. You were controlling the dynamic without trying to force it. i was impressed. It seemed very remote from some of the stuff i was reading in the earlier parts of your diary.
    Tbh if you continue to play like that i don't really see the point in sharing a table with you esp. oop. ( i don't like the 5x raise, it's hassle )  I'll go elsewhere and take my chances i think. You offer poor value The_Don90.
    I'm no expert by any means so don't let it go to your head ;)   but nice one, keep doing that.
  • edited September 2011
    I've sat in and watched a couple of your sessions I've thought that you were playing the table fish without too much thought for the table shark sat with position on you, and that your range is too wide. Problem is with your range that if you hit someone may easily have hit harder, and if you limp in anything is possible.
    Posted by harding10
    +1  and more concise :)
  • edited September 2011
    but not as eloquently put.
  • edited September 2011
    Going back to the opening post, at nl4 there is very little chance the player in the chat box can put you on a hand. If that sort of thing is affecting how you're playing you need to turn the chat off and concentrate on your own game.
  • edited September 2011
    Going back to the opening post, at nl4 there is very little chance the player in the chat box can put you on a hand. If that sort of thing is affecting how you're playing you need to turn the chat off and concentrate on your own game.
    Posted by harding10
    im confused???? which post are you talking about xD