You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should you duck players?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
ok, been playing at nl 30 for awhile now and doing alright, but there is 1 player i really struggle playing against. now when i select a table i ob pick one where this person isnt playing, but as they multi 3/4 tables and there not being a lot of nl30 open we meet often when they join. last 4 sessions i have been up before they arrive and down when i leave with the profit of that session going to said player. now its got to the stage they are hunting me down !!.i dont really think that but playing said player with all the notes i have on them i just cant get the better of them. do i just stand now when they come on table? pm them and tellthem i will burn there house down if they come on my table again? or just send them a cheque each week to save them the hassle of trying to win it off me.? advice needed before i drop down to nl20. thanks

Comments

• edited September 2011
    There are plenty of players at 20nl and 30nl that you have to be cautious with imo (but not too cautious!). Sometimes my ego gets in the way though, they can't always have it!

Whilst I don't avoid them completely I think a really good thing to do if you are joining their table is to only join when you have position on them, if a spot comes up directly to their right I will wait.

Also avoid the temptation to completely tighten up against them, if you are in position 3 bet them light early on maybe, try and mix it up, esp if they may view you as a tight player capable of laying hands down you need to make think about your game too
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    mattless the problem is i dont go on the table before them, they join so postion is kinda out my hand. yes i have a big ego (very) but i have learnt to put it to one side at a poker table so i dont "go at" this person with the attitude "mine is bigger than yours!" i will pm you jj

• edited September 2011

i want to know too.

there are 6 on the table....its not too difficult to choose only good spots to get involved with them

• edited September 2011

Shut up and use proper font.
  • edited September 2011
    to be honest huuume i think its down to my betting patterns and they got a good read on me when i have and have not got the goods. normally i wouldnt change my game around for one person, and maybe i shouldnt , but i think i am going to mix it up a bit.

• edited September 2011
    i aint shouting! no capitals here! just find 4pt easier to see than 3pt esp when i open the 3rd bottle!
  • edited September 2011
    tbf, if he can read your betting patterns he's a better player than me, and wont be at thirty nl for very long!

It's reallyyyy hard to get betting tells on you coz you do such wierd stuff. You could pot it with top pair, good kicker, then bet 1/4 of the pot with the nuts! 

Then next time do it the other way round!

Got your PM, will reply later, but I wouldn't be worrying too much about that player if I were u. Maybe he's just been making loads of good hands against ya!
  • edited September 2011
    hope your right jj and they are just running hot. are you suggesting i have a slightly left of centre approach to betting . slander pure slander!
  • edited September 2011
    Its above my level but as Dohhhhhhh says, if you think he has a read on your betting patterns (not likely by what Dohhhhhhh says) then you may have to mix it up and do the opposite against him for a bit.

The only other thing i would say is that if you get the chance, move seats to get position on him. If it is getting to you too much then move tables.

Could be that he just has a bit of run good on you at the moment.
  • edited September 2011

I never avoid anyone at cash so long as there are one or two fish im happy.

If you find yourself getting involved in pots against a certain person you are uncomfortable with then at least try to get position on them. If not, then just concentrate on getting money off the fish.

P.S, who is it? Can i get a PM also tyty

• edited September 2011
    nothing wrong with avoiding a better player imo, esp if he is one seat to your left and is aggro. Finding fish prob more important than avoiding sharks though
  • edited September 2011
    Hi pod this chappy plays nl20 as well and i aint avin bother him em , widen ure range and stick it to him when ya flop an unusually hidden monster OR just send him the cheque ;))

PS i may have actually only played him on my rare ish visits to nl30 , i will check sum of my  HH's

PPS just to make sure ive got the right person it begins with an S yeah??
  • edited September 2011
    to be fair grantorino he aint aggro on the whole. its just when i  bet he 3bets if i play back he jams. i think its time to use dohhhs thread earlier this week and pull out the "4bet bluff" this puppys going down!. 1 more bottle of wine and its on!!!! lol

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: should you duck players?:
    mattless the problem is i dont go on the table before them, they join so postion is kinda out my hand. yes i have a big ego (very) but i have learnt to put it to one side at a poker table so i dont "go at" this person with the attitude "mine is bigger than yours!" i will pm you jj
    Posted by pod1
    As other posters have said there are other people to take money off on a table. Me for example! I think it is very unlikely they are searching you out. Until you get a better read on them just avoid getting in awkward spots with them and mix your own game up as much as poss.

Good luck.
  • edited September 2011
    cheers mattless , im going in!
  • edited September 2011
    to be fair grantorino he aint aggro on the whole. its just when i  bet he 3bets if i play back he jams. i think its time to use dohhhs thread earlier this week and pull out the "4bet bluff" this puppys going down!. 1 more bottle of wine and its on!!!! lol
    Posted by pod1

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    FULLFACE Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £456.12
    gadgerno1 Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £196.60
    sam1986 Big blind  £2.00 £5.00 £198.00
      Your hole cards

PMG215 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £10.00 £15.00 £183.71
    sam1986 Fold     
    LOL_RAISE Raise  £26.00 £41.00 £179.00
    FULLFACE Fold     
    gadgerno1 Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Raise  £40.00 £81.00 £143.71
    LOL_RAISE Fold     
    DOHHHHHHH Show

DOHHHHHHH Win  £57.00  £200.71
    DOHHHHHHH Return  £24.00 £0.00 £224.71
  • edited September 2011
    you were told to have a k in your hand when you do it!!!!!!!!!
  • edited September 2011
    as you know (and the whole forum) lol is good enough to put down a 3 bet . think i can count the amount of people at this level on 1 hand who would!
  • edited September 2011
    Dohhh please stop this advertising ;))

WP
  • edited September 2011

I'll take your advice Debs, and not post up the hand where I put 200 quid in with pocket 3s on a 5 6 8 board and lost! 

;)

"dont try this at home"
  • edited September 2011
    one day debs will will be pullin stunts like that, honest!
  • edited September 2011
    I'll take your advice Debs, and not post up the hand where I put 200 quid in with pocket 3s on a 5 6 8 board and lost!  ;) "dont try this at home"
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ave ya read the pm i sent ya ?
  • edited September 2011
    here debs, why dont we set up a hand where you 5 bet me light and get me to fold, then vice versa and make ourselves look good! ps dont tell the forum. dam, thought this was a pm!!!!!!
  • edited September 2011
    here debs, why dont we set up a hand where you 5 bet me light and get me to fold, then vice versa and make ourselves look good! ps dont tell the forum. dam, thought this was a pm!!!!!!
    Posted by pod1
    luv it ;))

1 prob tho , my 5 bet light prob dont need to be a set up ;))
  • edited September 2011
    Yes got ur PM debs, thanx. Will b contacting every1 over the weekend to confirm just giving it time to come thru n stuff.

• edited September 2011
    man up podders u t@rt ;)
  • edited September 2011
    hehe. i think they read post and have run. come join me on table yg, give me a chance to get that 20 back!

• edited September 2011
    maybe later dude 11pm + lol like u have a chance woman!
  • edited September 2011
    if you need to get drunk first to play me fair enough, dutch courage is your friend :-)