You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekdn footy betting (17th/18th)

edited September 2011 in Betting Chat

It’s the weekend again & that gives us another opportunity to take some cash from the bookies. I made a pig’s ear of my midweek selections so hopefully I can make up for that here.

Three bets to get started with this weekend.

Main Acca:

Forest/Derby – Both to score @ 4/5

Leeds to beat Bristol City (H) @ 2/3

Hartlepool to beat Bury (H) @ 10/11

MK Dons/Huddersfield – Both to score @ 8/13

These 4 pay tasty 8/1.

There are always goals when Forest & Derby meet at the City Ground & I expect that trend to continue tomorrow. The last four meetings in Nottingham have produced at least 4 goals in the game & there’s not been a clean sheet in sight. Forest have made a stuttering start to the campaign & find themselves 4th from bottom. Despite not scoring in their opening two league games they have scored at least once in their last 4. Derby made a cracking start to their season winning their first 4 games but they’ve slipped up of late & have lost their last 2. Both sides will want bragging rights come the end of the 90 minutes here & whilst I can’t call a winner I do think they’ll be a few goals.

Leeds have been gloriously inconsistent so far this season but they’re a tough nut at home & will take the points more often than not. They had to come from behind at home to Palace last weekend to take the points & with Becchio fit again they’ll fancy their chances when the Robins fly into town. Bristol City’s only victory this season actually came on the road in a 2-1 win at Leicester. Unfortunately that’s been the only shining light in their season so far as they’ve struggled for results home & away & currently find themselves in the bottom 3. They’ve only scored once in their last 3 & you just know they’re likely gonna have to score more than that if they’re to take anything from Elland Road. Leeds did the double over City last season & they should continue that winning streak here.

Hartlepool have made a strong start to their campaign & are one of only 3 teams in League 1 yet to taste defeat in the league this season. They come into this game in fantastic form having won their last 3 & should be very optimistic of making that 4 when Bury roll into town. Despite a positive start to their season it’s all gone a bit pear shaped for the Shakers recently. They’ve lost their talismanic hit man Ryan Lowe to Sheffield Wednesday & are now struggling for results. They’ve lost their last 6 in all competitions with 4 of those coming in the league. I expected Hartlepool to be a shorter price than this so backing them to take maximum points here looks fantastic value.

If there’s one thing MK Dons & Huddersfield have got in common it’s the fact that they’re both more than capable of getting goals. In the 15 league games they’ve played between them this season they’ve scored a combined 31 goals. In their last 6 meetings there’s only been 1 clean sheet so history is on our side too.

Both to Score Acca:

Bolton/Norwich @ 8/11

Peterborough/Burnley @ 8/15

Leicester/Brighton @ 8/11

Port Vale/Shrewsbury @ 4/6

AFC Wimbledon/Cheltenham @ 4/6

Barrow/Mansfield @ 8/13

These 6 potentially pay a big 20/1 so well worth a couple of quid.

Bolton will be looking to get a first home win of the season after defeats to both Manchester clubs there so far. They’ve certainly got goals in them as they proved on the opening day at QPR but their back line also has it’s frailties & Norwich are certainly capable of exploiting that.

Peterborough were THE team to back in this market last season & despite not hitting the back of the net in their last two league outings I still think they’re a good bet in this market. Burnley roll into town tomorrow & they’ll attack as they normally try to do. This should be quite an open game & there should be a few goals.

Leicester are yet to really get going this term & they’ll be looking to get their 2nd home win when Brighton roll into town. Make no mistake, the Foxes have got players who can get goals at this level but their back line makes for nervous viewing for their fans. They’ve only kept one clean sheet in all competitions so far & that came on the opening day at Coventry. Brighton have continued their attacking philosophy from last season & it’s certainly brought them some early season rewards as they sit on top of the Championship. They’ve kept a clean sheet in their last 2 league games but Leicester will be their toughest test so far.

Port Vale certainly can’t be accused of not giving value for money as there have been goals galore in their first 8 games. There have been a total of 32 goals for & against them in their opening 8 games & 19 of those have come in their 4 games at Vale Park. Shrewsbury are another side who have started well & sit one place below Vale in 4th spot on goal difference.

Similar to Port Vale, AFC Wimbledon are another side who have given their fans value for money in terms of goals scored in their games. They’ve seen a total of 15 goals in 4 home games so far & with Cheltenham just as likely to concede as they are score this looks a good bet.

Barrow & Mansfield have met 6 times in the league since the Stags were relegated to the conference 3 years ago. To date there’s not been a clean sheet in any of their meetings & the way both sides have started this is likely to continue.

Long Shot Acca:

Arsenal to beat Blackburn (A) @ 5/6

QPR (+1) to beat Wolves (A) @ 10/11

Leicester to beat Brighton (H) @ 11/10

Preston to beat Brentford (A) @ 15/8

Huddersfield to beat MK Dons (A) @ 15/8

Stevenage to beat Notts Co (H) @ evens

These 6 potentially return a goalkeeper concussion inducing 121/1

Arsenal are looking to get their season back on track & this could possibly be the best fixture for them right now. There’s unrest at Ewood Park with the Blackburn faithful planning a protest before the game to get rid of Steve Kean. They’ve lost all 4 games so far & if Arsenal actually turns up they really should be too strong for them. I don’t usually put too many odds on picks in my long shots & although I think it’s highly likely they’ll take the points back to North London I don’t feel comfortable enough to put them in my main bet.

QPR will be looking to get another win on the board & with their new signings on board they may well take the points at Molineux. Having said that I think it really all depends on how Wolves react to losing last weekend which is why I’ve backed Rangers with a goal start here. They’re certainly good enough to get a point from the game so it gives me two chances to win.

As I touched on earlier, Brighton have made a fantastic start to the season & are currently top but this will be their toughest test yet. They’re gonna lose sooner or later & this could easily be the game in which they do so. I seriously doubt you’ll get a price this big on Leicester again this season which is one of the main reasons I’m backing them here. They’ll have a game on their hands but they know they really need to start taking the points if they’re to be considered serious promotion contenders.

Preston got off to the worst possible start with a home defeat to Colchester on the opening day but they’ve since found their feet & are unbeaten since, winning their last 5 in all competitions. Brentford won’t be easy, particularly at Griffin Park, but Preston should have enough quality to get the job done & this is a massive price on them to do so.

Huddersfield have won their last 4 meetings with MK Dons & come into this game high on confidence after their fantastic midweek win at Sheffield Utd. MK Dons are usually pretty solid at home but a lot depends on how they react to last weekend’s defeat at Sheffield Wednesday. This is a massive price on Huddersfield & if you’re taking a long shot gamble this weekend then it simply must be included.

Stevenage have been the surprise package in League 1 for me so far this season. Although it’s early days, they’re currently in 6th spot with only 1 defeat in their opening 8 games. They’ve been strong at home with 2 wins & 2 draws from the 4 played there & they walloped Sheffield Wednesday 5-1 there in midweek. Notts County are very hit & miss on the road & fortunately for Stevenage it’s mostly miss. Stevenage are unbeaten in their 3 (winning 2) & even money is too good to turn down.

Good luck if you’re having a go this weekend.

Jay

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Get the cobblers in ther Jay...great result midweek!
  • edited September 2011

Been waiting for this going up Jay!!

Tomorrow is the day for my first winner of the season.

Having a tenner on....

Villa
    everton
    Swansea
    Wolves
    Leeds

These pay a bang tidy 22/1.
  • edited September 2011
    5 accum aston villa,bolton,everton,leeds @ reading  pays 73e done all to win @ H/T also

5 accum  hartlepool,sheff utd,sheff weds,oxford utd,swindon @ crawley all to win pays 392e all to win at H/T FOR 3QUID
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekdn footy betting (17th/18th):
    Get the cobblers in ther Jay...great result midweek!
    Posted by splashies
    It's funny you should mention that cos I very nearly had them in my long shot. Great result in midweek but I wasn't convinced they'd make it two in a row. That & the fact that Macclesfield did the double over you last season put me off.
  • edited September 2011
    For those who like their solid bankers...

CSKA Sofia 1/5
    D Zagreb 1/12
    Narva JK Trans 1/5
    PK-35 Vantaa 1/8

Fantastic value at 8/11.
  • edited September 2011

heres a 5 fold for ya villa reading leeds ugh hartlepools dont let me down geoff sarfend pays 13 to 1 farewell

• edited September 2011
    had arsenal west ham villa hartlepool morcambe around 40/1 bill and benner on it
    also every week unless playing agaist each other have spurs middlesbrough west ham sheff utd huddlefield crawley rotheram accumlator having a fiver on every week this £1750 if comes in only need one of those a year
  • edited September 2011
    Here's todays losing acca...

Leeds
    Huddersfield
    Northampton
    Blackpool/Cardiff Both to score
    P*sh/Burnley Both to score
    Rochdale/Charlton Both to score

£5 pays £306.48
  • edited September 2011
    I've gone for:

Brentford and Preston to draw @ 12/5
    Hearts and St Mirren to draw @ 13/5
    Under 2.5 goals in Sunderland v Stoke @ 8/13
  • edited September 2011
    Get in! That's three consecutive weekends I've had a winning selection & had it not been for Brighton's failure to get a goal today I would've had two come in.

Never mind, there's a few games tomorrow & hopefully I've found a tidy treble 

Spurs/Liverpool - Both to score @ 8/11
    Man City (-1) to beat Fulham (A) @ 6/4
    Man Utd to beat Chelsea (H) @ 4/5

These 3 pay a tidy 13/2

Spurs have only kept one clean sheet against Liverpool in the last 10 meetings at White Hart Lane. You have to go back to September 2005 for that clean sheet in a 0-0 draw. Spurs have won this fixture 2-1 for the last 3 years at the Lane & whilst I'm not particularly convinced they'll make that 4 in a row they're capable of getting goals. Liverpool will be looking to get back on track after last weekend's narrow defeat at Stoke & the one thing they have got is fire power in abundance.
    Quite frankly this price on City to win by 2 or more is ludicrously big. City won this fixture 4-1 last season & this year they're so much stronger. They've scored at least 3 goals in all 4 league games so far & they're more than capable of continuing that trend in West London tomorrow. Fulham find themselves bottom of the pile after today's results & they're struggling for goals with only 2 on their opening 4 games. Hitman RV has already said this should be a big away win in another thread so you should be all over the 6/4 on offer like a rash.
    In all honesty if there's one game likely to let me down tomorrow it could be this one. Having said that 4/5 on Utd at home is a belting price, particularly when you consider that Chelsea haven't really looked all that great so far despite being unbeaten in their opening 4 games. Utd have won the last 3 meetings between the two in all competitions & with Rooney & Hernandez on fire already this term they should make it 4 in a row here. They've already scored 11 in their two home games this term & should add another couple to that. Chelsea have struggled a bit on their travels so far failing to break down a resilient Stoke side & narrowly beating Sunderland. They'll give Utd a game but I suspect it'll be Fergie taking the points at O.T.

• edited September 2011
    I think every team from the premier league will score today.

I have bet 2 pounds on it, at 17/2

Prepare for a couple of nil nils then !  . . . . . . . . .
  • edited September 2011
    5 accum aston villa,bolton,everton,leeds @ reading  pays 73e done all to win @ H/T also 5 accum  hartlepool,sheff utd,sheff weds,oxford utd,swindon @ crawley all to win pays 392e all to win at H/T FOR 3QUID
    Posted by dubmaster
    me thinks swindon is going to me one of those teams this season!!!!!!!!

they will win at a nice price soon
  • edited September 2011
    I think every team from the premier league will score today. I have bet 2 pounds on it, at 17/2 Prepare for a couple of nil nils then !  . . . . . . . . .
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    like this put a fiver on @ 15/1   goals goals and loads of them please  gl did'nt realise i clicked southampton game also could be lucky omen
  • edited September 2011
    Shudda posted these up before, but didn,t want the forum curse

£4 on QPR at 7/2
    £5 on 2 + goals at 6/5
    2011-09-17
    16:53
    163378481312011-09-16
    00:48
    Fixtures 17 September Wolves v QPR / Match Odds
    Comm Charged 5% On Net winnings of GBP14.01
     ---(0.70)  
     2011-09-17
    16:53
    163378481312011-09-16
    00:48
    Fixtures 17 September Wolves v QPR / Match Odds / QPR
    Back
     4.504.00Won 14.01 
     2011-09-17
    16:46
    163378518722011-09-16
    00:49
    Fixtures 17 September Wolves v QPR / Over/Under 2.5 goals
    Comm Charged 5% On Net winnings of GBP5.8
     ---(0.29)  
     2011-09-17
    16:46
    163378518722011-09-16
    00:49
    Fixtures 17 September Wolves v QPR / Over/Under 2.5 goals / Over 2.5 Goals
    Back
     2.165.00Won 5.80 

£50 on Man Utd at 4/5 , but laid £35 off it off
    Free £50 in runnning bet on same game due to putting on above bet on over 3 goals at 6/5
    Over 3.5 @ 6/5
    £50.00  Single
    18/09/2011 15:21:4150.00110.00

• edited September 2011
    How ironic that the one game I expected to let me down today turns out to be the only one I got right!