You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT advice for tonight... (bit of a brag)

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Afternoon chaps,

I've managed to work my way through the survivor's since Sunday and I'm now gonna be in the final tonight at 7:30pm. The brag is that I've done it all from the £1 BI on Sunday and it's my first ever go at ever playing any of the survivors but I just wanted to get some advice for this format from people.

I don't need basics on MTTs, obviously the gameplan changes massively between finishing in the top 50% all the other nights and then going for the win in this one, and I usually play MTTs with at least 100 if not 200-300 runners so I'm used to playing a very tight game at the start because there's so much dead money and wild players with that many runners that you can tighten up and go more for max value when you hit with your big hands. But usually the survivor only gets about 30-40 people in the final and most of them are usually pretty good players.

So what are people's thoughts about how, if at all, I should change a pretty standard MTT strategy to accomodate a much smaller field? Blinds are 12 mins so yes it's a slower structure but still only 2000 starting chips so you can't get too fruity...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

P.S. Wish me luck guys!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Dont play enough MTT's on here to offer useful advice.

So a simple good skill from me bud :p
  • edited September 2011
    Just do what youve been doin in 200-300 runner mtt's , try to put the prizepool at the back of ure mind and play ure gd hands strongly as ya will occur less variance in a smaller sized field like this.

Vvwd gettin here for £1 (not bad eh?) and i really hope ya at least cash or better still TID , will pop on the rail if i can AND will keep checkin in the lobby if ure still in.

Best of luck to ya 2nite

debbydobby xx
  • edited September 2011
    I only play the smaller MTTs on sky and i sometimes play with fields like 20-40 people but here goes, and this is very basic but it seems to pay. (for me at least!)

Firstly, with it being so slow, it should suit you down to the ground (being a cash player) as you can wait for a really good spot before going to war. You may not even play for the first 3 to 4 levels and still have a relatively deep stack. Perfick in my opinion.

I played one the other day and there were 25 runners. After the first hour i was 12 out of 12 with a stack of 2,500 but i still had something like 40xBB+. After a couple of decent hands when i eventually hit i was 3rd of 11!

With slow structures, and a small field, i really think patience is the key. You should be good enough to wait for your opportunities. Like i say, this is just my view on these as nobody ever seems to run away with them in my limited experience. Obviously you will be up against some really good players so it may be slightly different. :-S

If you want something similar as a practice there is a $25 guaranteed playing at 17:20 for $1.10 with a starting stack of 2000 and blinds of 10 minutes. Its a rebuy and add-on but it plays very similar and only attracts between 20-50 runners through the week so it could be a good practice run for next to nothing if you fancy it!

Whatever you decide. Good luck mate. Post back on here and let us know how you got on.
  • edited September 2011
    GL

my advice would be just play your normal game. If thats tight play tight, if its laggy play laggy. Dont think of it as any different than a £1bi MTT , except to abjust to players around you skill level.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm not talking about changing my game because the buy-in/prize pool is bigger than a normal MTT that I'd play. I was asking because the number of runners is dramatically less. So normally in a 300 runner with 2000 chips, I couldnt care less if someone is on 10k after 20 mins because I've got enough BBs to play my game and I'll get my chips from the players worse than me, but obviously in a very small field like this, someone getting 10k chips after 20 mins (extreme example) it does change things.

Basically, chips are worth more when there's less bad players where you can get them easily... or am I wrong?
  • edited September 2011
    I dont ever care if sumones got 10k chips early in a tourny as there is alot of time to catch up , but yeah when the field narrows and its the better players left in then yeah i always believe the chips are worth more
  • edited September 2011
    Best of luck lambert, would love to see you win this

Jenny.x.
  • edited September 2011
    I am not a great fan of this survivior, 50% go trough all week which seems great.

Then it's like top three get paid only - harsh

good luck just play your normal game and get uber agrro if down to last 10
  • edited September 2011
    Play your stack correctly, dont worry about how much anyone else has. If they are better players than you are used to adjust accordingly. If someone has a huge stack your play depends on how he uses it and effective stacks, not how much chips he has.

Basically I meant that this seems to be a big deal for you (thats prob the wrong way of saying it, maybe more you are slightly out of comfort zone), I think the best way for you to cash is just play your normal style of poker rather than try tweak your game , when you might not really understand fully the tweaks you are making
  • edited September 2011
    Oh and ya put 'afternoon chaps' at the start of ure post so dont listen to me anyway ;))
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: MTT advice for tonight... (bit of a brag):
    Oh and ya put 'afternoon chaps' at the start of ure post so dont listen to me anyway ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    My apologies, I meant chaps and chappesses
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: MTT advice for tonight... (bit of a brag):
    Posted by debdobs_67
    You mean women play this game - NO WAY :D

come on Lambert I'll be cheering you on

Don't worry just play your normal game, it's just another MTT
  • edited September 2011
    just play ur normal game m8....best of luck!!!

do it for the TPT!!! :)
  • edited September 2011
    stay out of my way

:-P
  • edited September 2011
    Oh joy, I've got Ebberdon, Phil12uk and Gerrard9 on my table and it's 5 handed, so plenty of value there...
  • edited September 2011
    Sadly guys, my Survivor has come to an end, I came 16th... courtesy of Ebberdon. I lost concentration for a minute and made a horrible move (or maybe I'm just saying that cos I lost). I'll post it anyway....

Maybe I shouldn't have been thinking this deep but basically I'd been playing pretty solid tight poker up to this point but hadn't really hit anything so I'd been taken off a few pots quite cheaply because I was sticking to playing straight forward poker (folding to a bet on the flop when I don't hit) in the early stages so I think people had an opinion that I was weak and would fold easily, hence I figured ebberdon was re-raising me lighter than normal and thought I was likely to get a fold and if not thought I'd be at worst flipping (with me being the slight favourite).

Was this a completely horrible play?

At least it only cost me a quid lol... I'll be back again though when I have another completely free week.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    The_Duk3 Small blind   25.00 25.00 2405.00
    gerrard9 Big blind   50.00 75.00 1110.00
      Your hole cards

phil12uk Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   150.00 225.00 1315.00
    EBBERDON Raise   300.00 525.00 3395.00
    The_Duk3 Fold        
    gerrard9 Fold        
    Lambert180 All-in   1315.00 1840.00 0.00
    EBBERDON Call   1165.00 3005.00 2230.00
    Lambert180 Show

EBBERDON Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• J

Turn

River

EBBERDON Win Pair of Queens 3005.00   5235.00
  • edited September 2011
    Kind of, but its understandable. 

You made a stand.  Better than just flatting and going to the flop oop blind.

Raising in such EP and getting miined is always going to be a worry though.

UL sir.
  • edited September 2011
    Well exactly. I didn't really wanna fold and I thought that flatting OOP when I'm going hate virtually all flops was a pretty bad idea.
  • edited September 2011
    I personally don't like it (but I'm a dirty nit lol), when Ebbers minraises he ain't EVER folding against your stack imo. He could easily do this with AK maybe AQ, I'd probably fold to minreraise.
  • edited September 2011
    I dont really know the player, but if you say he does this with AK/Q the re jam isnt that bad.  Yes he wont fold but at least we get our money in first with marginal edge
  • edited September 2011
    Agree with dudeskin here and i fold to the re raise
  • edited September 2011
    Surely if you think he calls with AK/AQ  this isn't a terrible play because as I said, I figure that I'm either gonna get a fold and add 300 to my stack OR be a marginal favourite in a race.
  • edited September 2011
    looks good to me.......

but.......................

nh gg
  • edited September 2011
    We have 26xBB left, i'm not sure i want to put my tournament life on 7,7 after being min raised like that. I think i can fold and wait a bit longer. The structure allows you to wait a bit longer but i dont hate it, i am a real nit. I probably do this with 15xBB and less. But, hey, i am no expert on these.

However, you came to a conclusion from what you had seen and drew a line in the sand. Nobody can knock that mate. Kept a bit of an eye on the lobby and really hoped you would run really deep in this. Unlucky mate, you'll get them next week!
  • edited September 2011
    Sorry but i don't like any of this even if you do feel your a slight favourite you do not need to race with this stack. I would prefer a flat and go set mining (Knowing your doubling up if you hit as the min raise screams strength on button IMO) Or just fold but i would call and fold to that flop i wouldnt get it in on a 6 high flop either i cant see him min raising with AK or AQ here knowing your calling and with players behind, so i would put him on AA KK QQ or maybe JJ but unlikely meaning calling would make sense because if you hit you are near on GTD to double up. Look atit from his perspective the raise in his posistion he is inducing action froim behind which unfortunately u fell for ul and well done for getting so far on a quid
  • edited September 2011
    Bit random but you should tune it to Winners Journey as you might get a hand or two shown.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah I was planning on that. Is it Tuesday's the show Winners Journey?