You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how should i of played this hand?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
little bit of foreknowledge about the villain, only one word can describe his style - Maniac

so before i show you how the hand played out i just want some feedback on how i played it, and how i should of proceeded

Hand History #415440398 (00:38 18/09/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
33allin Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.84
tinytren24 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £12.46
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

sparky68 Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £3.91
The_Don90 Fold     
foolhows Fold     
sillymunch Raise  £0.24 £0.38 £3.70
33allin Fold     
tinytren24 Fold     
sparky68 Raise  £0.32 £0.70 £3.59
sillymunch Call  £0.16 £0.86 £3.54
Flop

• Q

sparky68 Check     
sillymunch Bet  £0.86 £1.72 £2.68
sparky68 Raise  £1.72

Comments

• edited September 2011
    oops ;o this was meant for the poker clinic please delete post :)
  • edited September 2011
    uh oh stop 3betting QJ
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: how should i of played this hand?:
    uh oh stop 3betting QJ
    Posted by grantorino
    to be fair to much the guy was a maniac, QJ was well above his range
  • edited September 2011
    Dont care what his range is , obv very very wide BUT i'd want better than QJ to start muckin about with him
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah definitely agree that you don't 3bet pre here, for this exact reason, you don't know what to do now.

If you had AQ I'd imagine that you'd have put him all in and this wouldn't be posted in the clinic (or General Poker Chat as is the case here). Also, I know you should bet big when you hit at 4NL but I think pot betting here might be a bit much. If he is a maniac then I assume you can't rule out him having Q10, Q7, 107 (not saying he has to have this) but if he is a maniac, when you bet the pot, and he does a tiny re-raise, surely you don't know if he has one of the above hands, or Qx or 10x or 7x or QQ/TT/77 or KQ or AQ because he's a maniac and could do this with any of them. So you're continuing on, risking your entire stack (probably) if you carry on when you don't really have a clue where you are.

That's why 3betting these average hands gets you into trouble.
  • edited September 2011
    Why not 3 bet pre here to iso the maniac in position?? Or do we prefer calling and letting the blinds in, so we can play a cosy 4 way pot with him??

"If you had AQ I'd imagine that you'd have put him all in"

If he's a maniac why would we be reraising with TPTK, even here with TPGK we are miles ahead of his range, so just call his reraise and let him do what maniacs do best, bet. Call turn because once he's check raised flop he's leading turn, and don't fold river. If he's got it he's got it but TPGK is more than good enough v a maniac.

Cards may come on the turn or river that will scare you but don't fold, keep calling, maniacs stay in the game because players get scared and fold.

In short i'm fine with how you played it thus far if he is indeed a maniac.

• edited September 2011
    Our 3bet range also needs to leave us with advantage vs his assured stationing range, which it doesnt.

Agree, only reason to 3bet is to isolate maniac, pushing out blinds.