You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was i wrong to go all in on this board?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancekieronmSmall blind £0.02£0.02£3.15sillymunchBig blind £0.04£0.06£4.11 Your hole cardsAA   newskoolerFold    JAZZYG941Call £0.04£0.10£5.26Tux97Fold    GEORDIE666Call £0.04£0.14£1.50kieronmFold    sillymunchRaise £0.24£0.38£3.87JAZZYG941Call £0.24£0.62£5.02GEORDIE666Fold    Flop  9108   sillymunchAll-in £3.87£4.49£0.00JAZZYG941Call £3.87£8.36£1.15sillymunchShowAA   JAZZYG941ShowK9   Turn  4   River  K   JAZZYG941WinTwo Pairs, Kings and 9s£7.73 £8.88

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I'd raise more pre at least 30p.

Flop all in is a bit strange, yes you've got a player to call off his stack with 2nd pair no draw but I think it would be better to make a normal bet of around 60-70p and get it in if raised.

Also normally when you shove like this people will only call when you're behind but clearly those rules don't apply at NL4 lol
  • edited September 2011
    There's always going to be varied mentalities here.  Do we price opponent off a draw with an over bet on flop.  Or do we lead, to call a jam vs draw.  Do we lead, get stationed and find a fold on a dirty turn or river?

I'd rather play poker, dynamically assesing through streets.  But I dont think I jam here.

By jamming you basically are recognising opponents high likelyhood of equity in hand, needing to fade to win.

There are pro'c and cons.  But at this level opponents betting patterns likely make their hand strength transparent.

I prefer a more standard line here myself.
  • edited September 2011
    funnily enough, the villain in question actually spoker in the chat box, and goes "hmmmm should i call" then lets his bar go down and calls right at the end, then he reveals this, and i think its a joke ;o who calls off his whole stack with second pair, i dont mind him doing this, ill keep joining his table if he does, just its stupid at the end of the day xD what did he think he was beating lmao

as for the reason i went all in instead of going through the streets is because the table was full of people that would call for a draw, so i had the chance of more then 1 caller,
    arguably, if i went through the streets he might of folded on turn, but its debatable
  • edited September 2011
    I will usually stack off here as you did IF im already in a pot that was very BIG pre flop so as to take it down then and there OR get called while im still ahead , prob is this pot was 6 times less than you wanted to stack off for so usually ure only gonna get called by sumone who/s flopped a set , 2 pair , poss TPGK or a massive draw , i know in this instance the caller was in fact loosey loosey but normally you would or should be behind.

As i stated i would only do it if the pot was worth the risk of me shovin
  • edited September 2011
    pre good

flop, I dont like. If you are sure they call it off with worse then fine, but in general shoving there allows them play perfectly
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah exactly you laugh when they call with 2nd pair because you know that they should only call with much better i.e. better than your 1 pair. So most people who call here are only gonna be doing it with hands that beat you and the folders, you miss value.
  • edited September 2011
    I dont mind pre, could be one more big blind bigger but its absolutely fine.

Why overbet the flop so much? Usually you get worse hands to fold and better hands to call with this move. It has actually worked on this occassion to be fair, its just a bit of a bad beat. 

I'd probably bet 3/4 pot or pot bet the flop. Looks like you have panicked a bit on a dangerous board and shoved, hoping you are still good. Hoping your good is not an edge! Dont be scared of the board, fire again, but be aware that there are hands out there that are miles in front of you on the flop. All of those will call, not many others will. Long term, i cant see much profit in this play. You may get away with it at NL4 but even then its marginal.

Keep going!
  • edited September 2011