You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Freeroll Tournaments

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've accumulated a few Poker Points over my time on this site and was toying with idea of spending them in Freerolls.

However, I notice that the Freerolls have rebuys and add-ons.

I have read that to realistically compete at rebuy tournaments, you should be prepared to rebuy several times, and most of the time you should invest in the add-on (unless you are so deep-stacked that it won't make a significant difference).

So my question is...

If I want to play the tournaments truly for "Free" and not spend any additional cash rebuying and topping up, would I be simply wasting my time? Would I be disadvantaging myself so much by not rebuying that it simply isn't worth playing? How often to players that have not re-bought manage to cash in these tournaments?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I've cashed in a few freerolls and I refuse to pay for a re-buy or an add-on but usually it's only been like £1 if I'm lucky. I aint played one for a long time, but if you wanna play an MTT for some fun then why not, there's nothing else to spend your points on.

They do tend to be higher variance, there's alot of mines to dodge, alot of races you're gonna have to win but it's certainly do-able and it can be a bit of fun. Although I wouldn't recommend using them if it's your aim to actually win a decent amount of money. You're gonna need alot of run good and alot of skill to win one and even then you might only get £15
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Freeroll Tournaments:
    I've cashed in a few freerolls and I refuse to pay for a re-buy or an add-on but usually it's only been like £1 if I'm lucky. I aint played one for a long time, but if you wanna play an MTT for some fun then why not, there's nothing else to spend your points on. They do tend to be higher variance, there's alot of mines to dodge, alot of races you're gonna have to win but it's certainly do-able and it can be a bit of fun. Although I wouldn't recommend using them if it's your aim to actually win a decent amount of money. You're gonna need alot of run good and alot of skill to win one and even then you might only get £15
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah i myself only really play the newish OMAHA freeroll , shame i 4got about 2days ;))
  • edited September 2011
    I decided to play one this evening for a laugh. After all, as you say, it's free and what else am I going to do with my Points?

I played it as a truly 'free' tournament - no rebuys or add-ons.

I managed to do OK in the end, coming 33rd out of 620 players. Now I just can't decide what to buy with my 55p prize money!

It felt like bloomin' hard work for just 55p, but I guess it's something for nothing!

• edited September 2011
    Yep thats what its like , 2+ hours hard graft and less per hour in winnings than ya could earn as a farm hand in eithiopia ;)
  • edited September 2011
    Have you checked out the cash for points scheme ? It's a bit like rakeback.
  • edited September 2011
    Have you checked out the cash for points scheme ? It's a bit like rakeback.
    Posted by BLACK_MASS
    I have, but I don't tend to earn enough points to qualify yet. (I'm stilling playing small stakes until I get my bankroll up.)

However, I did have enough points to earn a free entry token into a "£1000 Guaranteed" last Saturday, which worked out OK since I came 9th out of 713 and won £15, which was nice.

• edited September 2011
    Freerolls are fun for a bit of practice. I tend to play em if  have an MTT night and its just another table to play. It seems alot of work for little reward but its all experience. More you play, more you learn!

I cashed last friday for 32p or something after two hours of play. Simultaneously, i raised 32p on a 8NL table and had to fold on flop. Puts it in perspective dunnit lol!
  • edited September 2011
    I have never rebought or added on to a freeroll and iv managed a 1st and 2nd finnish and a fair few penny cashes they are just abit of fun and good practise if you are new to MTT can teach you how to avoid races and target weak player (there are plenty in freerolls) and basic MTT skills. And since they don't cost anything if you have the time may as well play them for abit of fun :)
  • edited September 2011
    No it is possible to win a freeroll which allows rebuys as it is with a normal rebuy. personally i would never pay for a rebuy in a freebie as the variance will be huge but it also means you can make some easy free money.

if your happy to take a rebuy or 2 go for it but i dont think theres enough value in the freerolls to take them IMO
  • edited September 2011
    I have never rebought or added on to a freeroll and iv managed a 1st and 2nd finnish and a fair few penny cashes they are just abit of fun and good practise if you are new to MTT can teach you how to avoid races and target weak player (there are plenty in freerolls) and basic MTT skills. And since they don't cost anything if you have the time may as well play them for abit of fun :)
    Posted by jams88
    You need to compare the freeroll entry to the corresponding worth of return on the cash for points scheme.
    Effectively you are investing your rakeback-like rewards on freerolls. They aren't free.
    A bit of fun ? This statement may well be relative too ;)
  • edited September 2011
    The only thing you can spend your poker points on are freerolls you still get the same amount for the cash for points scheme wether you spend your points or not so i still get a small amount of rakeback that way. I enjoy playing MTT but am not really rolled for it at the moment so the freerolls are a way for me to kill some time on a saturday afternoon