You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

help dont know where i went wrong

edited October 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
playing in a 10 seater ds last night 1.5 hrs in, going along OK and  played a hand very wrong, but i dont know where, i would get it up on here, but i am computer dumb and dont know how , i can tell you its hand 199597649 7pm ds, if anyone would could give some advice on it would be appreciated

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Sorry, I dont think we can see them.

If you know how to copy and paste, highlight the entire hand, then copy and repaste it here on a new post.

If you dont know how to copy and paste.....

left Click on the very top left of the part you want to copy and whilst holding the click down go to the very bottom right. This should now highlight a different colour. Let go of the left click and click the right click. go to copy.

Then come over here and click on  a new comment, then right click again and paste should be available, accept this and your hand should appear.

If you know how to do it I apologise.

Failing that, was anyone else on the table that could post it for us???

If not ask Sky Rich to see if he can access the hand and post it here for us to see.
  • edited October 2009
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    chrisbhoy Small blind  75.00 75.00 4680.00
    jr129389 Big blind  150.00 225.00 1435.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

BILKOMGS Fold     
    BIGSHANN Fold     
    bennydip2 Fold     
    mmmchips Raise  450.00 675.00 4055.00
    paparon Fold     
    general1 Call  450.00 1125.00 16450.00
    pod1 Call  450.00 1575.00 3305.00
    chrisbhoy Fold     
    jr129389 Fold     
    Flop

• J

mmmchips Check     
    general1 Check     
    pod1 Check     
    Turn

mmmchips Bet  1000.00 2575.00 3055.00
    general1 Fold     
    pod1 Raise  2000.00 4575.00 1305.00
    mmmchips All-in  3055.00 7630.00 0.00
    pod1 All-in  1305.00 8935.00 0.00
    mmmchips Unmatched bet  750.00 8185.00 750.00
    River

mmmchips Show

pod1 Show
    • J
    • J

mmmchips Win Straight to the 9 8185.00  8935.00
  • edited October 2009
    ps  hale u genius tnx for the help
  • edited October 2009

A shade unlucky here, but......

1) I think a Re-Raise Pre was in order. mmmchips plays quiete a wide range of starting hands, but if you had re-popped it pre, I'd be surprised if he had called.

2) I think most of us give a free card on that Flop, but we must always be mindful that giving free cards increases the risk/reward ratio. Even if mmm called your Flop Re-Raise, when you Pot the Flop, even for a gutterball, he can't call.

Mainly, just unlucky. But a Re-Raise Pre would be my play there, hand over, next case.
  • edited October 2009

Hi pod

Well, what did you hope to achieve when you limped in with JJ? (Called), were you hoping to trap? the flop was not too bad, you hit your J, but when that 7 hit the turn and you were re-raised "all in" should have set the alarm bells ringing, you may have been better trying to protect your hand after the flop, there is no guarantee you wouldnt have been called, but more than likely not, he was on a gutshot draw only.  Imo, you should have folded immediately after the all in, you may have been short stacked, but at least you would still have been in it.

If I have a big pair, I never try fancy moves, I push, unless there is a big re-raise before me and I have KK, QQ, JJ or TT I fold.

Hope this helps

• edited October 2009
    tnx tikay,it did cross my mind, but with 9 others to follow and 3 of them with mega stacks, i could see me getting drwan into a big pot, like you say a bit more assertive would have/should have pushed him off, how much would you have raised in the postion i was in?
  • edited October 2009

The check on the flop was IMO wrong, Yes, we all do it when you have flopped the nuts hoping for someone to catch up, so to speak, unfortunately, someone caught up then overtook.

By checking, you have given the other player unlimited odds of hitting his cards as it has cost him nothing at all. Even if he had a one outer, by giving him the opportunity to have another card, he had a chance.

Just a little unlucky his 4 outer popped in, but like I say, most of us would have checked.(I know I do sometimes, depending on the table, blinds etc)

Sometimes you don't want to frighten your opponent off too easily and sometimes this hits us in the face.

I don't think there is too much wrong with the flat call to the raise as you may have been running into a monster like q's k's or aces. A flat call means you can get out with some dignity if the board is all overcards and you are faced with a massive bet. Like I say, without knowing your opponent that well, I can't really comment on what range he raises with.

• edited October 2009
    like i say acebarry, i had 9 other people to act after me, pushing with jj ( i consider good but not great) a tad loose, admittedly i was trying to trap post flop, def not pre. the raise to 450 by mmmm preflop i obviously read wrong as i put him on ace 9/ 10/j  qk  or small pocket, so didnt see any danger with what came next. will take advice on board and protect the hand after the flop insted of being a smart bottom!!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: help dont know where i went wrong:
    tnx tikay,it did cross my mind, but with 9 others to follow and 3 of them with mega stacks, i could see me getting drwan into a big pot, like you say a bit more assertive would have/should have pushed him off, how much would you have raised in the postion i was in?
    Posted by pod1
    I don't think we mind a big pot here, but do we want to be "drawn into" a big pot?

I'd rather we created the Big Pot, by Betting pre, & if somone comes with us, so be it, we can re-assess on the flop.

How much do I make it Pre?

Ideally, normally, I Pot it here - that's about 2,000, but your stack size is a bit awkward for that.

So I might just jam all-in. I know that sounds a bit daft, but your Stack size is only just over 20 x BB, so a Pot Bet leaves you with just 8 or 9 x BB. The chance to get my money in first, & pick up that dead money (450 + 450 + 150 + 75 = 1,125) & thus increase my Stack by 30% or so (about 7 Bigs) might be the best option. 

I think I'm doing a Bob Marley - I'm jamming.
  • edited October 2009

I liked Hale's Post, though I'd make two points.

Hale said....

"....I don't think there is too much wrong with the flat call to the raise as you may have been running into a monster like q's k's or aces...."

We are early Position here, & you are right, we have no idea what the first Raiser has. Could be a monster, but in probability, it could be anything.

But we DO know that the Caller behind does NOT have a monsta. If he had a Monsta, with a Raise already in, he'd be crazy to smooth it, & thus give odds to 5 or 6 players behind to come in too. so we can be reasonaby sure the guy who called the 450 does not have a monsta.

Also.....

"...A flat call means you can get out with some dignity if the board is all overcards....."

But what if the Flop comes all low, & Villain DOES have AA or KK? We are faced with a really tricky decisio now - Passing J-J on a, say, 9 high Board. Not easy, that.

What an interesting hand this is - it throws up so many tricky decisions. Personally, I don't like tricky decisions, so I make my move first, & either Pot it or jam. But that's just my style in this spot, it may be wrong for others.
  • edited October 2009
    tnx hale advice noted, now im confused, tikay raise pre, acebarry push, you pre ok flop bad, god you gotta love this game.
  • edited October 2009
    I'd generally play it the same way pre-flop (but also might jam depending on table dynamics).

I'm definitely betting the flop even though you've flopped the nuts.
    Against two players in a raised pot, either they've got a hand and will give you action or they're likely to be fairly loose and might give you action - if they both fold then we've missed an opportunity but I'd take that risk.
    Also, as you're last to act then a flop bet can look like a steal in that position so you may get action from a frisky player trying to take it away from you with an underpair to the J.

If they've both got AK and the turn is an A or K, then your flop check obviously starts to look great but the chances of this are pretty slim.

I can remember hands where I've flopped set over set and managed to get very little out of it after trapping on the flop because the board gave an obvious possible straight (or flush) by the river.
    In these cases, it's not just whether you're scared of the possible straight (or flush), it's whether your opponent is scared of it and doesn't give you as much action as you would have liked.
  • edited October 2009
    tnx hale advice noted, now im confused, tikay raise pre, acebarry push, you pre ok flop bad, god you gotta love this game.
    Posted by pod1
    Exactly!

There's no hard & fast right & wrong in the game.

Just keep it simple.
  • edited October 2009
    thanks merenovice as usual your advive is spot on
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

It's definitely a game of opinions (and many other things  too) - if we all played the same way, it would be a dull game.
  • edited October 2009
    well i think you were just unlucky. yeh you could of raised more pre flop and mmmmchips may have folded, and after the flop i reckon you could of put a big raise in however the slow play was equally fine. Perhaps we all say could of, should of, would of, however sometimes we're just unlucky, the next time he gets the straight and you get the full house lol  
  • edited October 2009

In my opinion, the only thing wrong with the play was checking the flop. I would have pushed all-in with the set and hope to win it there and then. Personally, I don't like J's at all.

• edited October 2009
    I must admit I think I would've done the same pre but that's because JJ is just so tricky to play. With the flop that comes I'm betting out here everytime. More so because of a more obvoius potential flush draw rather than the straight and if I take the pot down there & then, then I'm happy with that.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm not against playing Jacks like small pair so the call doesn't bother me but I'm definitely betting the flop - there's flush and straight draws out there so I'm looking to get as much in the middle as I can whilst I'm ahead! You mentioned about not wanting to be drawn into big pot but that's exactly what you ended up doing once you went behind - it's better to build pot on the flop (taking down nice amount if everyone folds) rather than checking and then getting all money in on the turn when you could've gone behind! 

Obviously there's times where trapping works but depending on your table image, I'm betting big hands most of the time because generally no-one will give you credit - Tom Dwan played the Poker Million earlier in the week and flopped Full House but rather than checking, he bet out knowing people would think he's not doing this with strength so got some extra value out of Mike Matusow's Ace high! If you check big hands, you're missing out on a streets worth of betting so your bet size on turn and river have to change accordingly and like Hale said, you're also giving someone free chance to move ahead! 

I'm starting to ramble on so I'll just summarize by saying there's more advantages to betting that flop than not, so once you decided not to take it down pre-flop by raising, you've got to find out the opponents range because without it, you're just hoping for the best on the turn and that's dangerous position to find yourself in at the table!
  • edited October 2009
    i dont think you did too much wrong in all honesty, its important to have a feel of the table your on and we werent on it so wouldnt know the feel of the table
  • edited October 2009
    I must admit I think I would've done the same pre but that's because JJ is just so tricky to play. With the flop that comes I'm betting out here everytime. More so because of a more obvoius potential flush draw rather than the straight and if I take the pot down there & then, then I'm happy with that.
    Posted by silentbob
    Agreed - but they are a lot trickier to play 3 handed, if we take a Flop!

Pre-Flop, in this case, I think we take the easy road, & Pot it, or Jam.

As yoi say, once we reach the flop, we have to protect against the (what turns out to be imaginery) Flush Draw.

Very ul to walk into a GutterBall that Binked, though.
  • edited October 2009
    didnt re-raise pre, didnt bet flop, min raised turn.

Honestly the number one difference between good and bad players is aggression. re raise pre because you have the 4th best possible hand and you have no reason to think you dont have the best hand and you dont wanna play a multi way pot. This isnt a tricky hand. Bet flop because you want to extract chips from all draws and weaker pairs. Honerstly people never fold pairs, bet bet bet. Make your opponent make tough decisions, a min raise on the turn isnt a tough decision.

Bad players always try and play big hands as slowly as possible or bet as small as possible because they dont want people to fold. They always end up losing a big pot or winning a tiny one. Dont be a bad player.
  • edited October 2009
    WARNING: I am incapable of reading hand histories when writing without coffee assistance. Please take the following as advice on if you had JJ UTG ;)

I think the hand is actually pretty interesting, and while we all have different styles of play, I can see why it was played the way it was. That said, it's not how I would have played it personally ;)

JJ is indeed a tricky hand but is also the subject of a little gem of advice I was given a while back, namely 'treat JJ as pocket ten-and-a-halves'. No, the guy wasn't bonkers, instead emphasising that they really are vulnerable post-flop. That is why I might play this hand different pre...

Limping with JJ in EP is ok as long as we're looking to re-raise it should we get the chance. Why? Because it makes the hand that much cheaper to play and helps us define the opponents. We limp, Villain raises. What hands could he be doing that with? If he's being observant he might see out UTG limp as strength. That said, if you were him and you had AJ or 99, wouldn't you throw in a little raise to see where your hand was at? I know I would. Let's say he does too.

So it comes back to us and we now three-bet it. This does two things: 

1) Over-reps our hand. What's over-repping? Over-representing or just make it look bloody scary, to use regular English. Now the guy has GOT to worry it's a big pair or perhaps AK, right? That means when the board does come Ace or King high we might still get away with a continuation because we've made the hand look like it LIKES the flop rather than dislikes it. 

2) Defines his hand much more IF he calls. He might take a flop and hope to flop a set with those medium pairs such as the 99, or maybe try to spike an Ace with that AT/AJ kind of hand. Does he call with KJ? Quite possibly not. If he reraises us now, we can be pretty sure we're up against a proper hand though. Makes those jacks much easier to play if the overcard does come, right? 

So I don't like the pre-flop play. When you get the chance, raise it up next time and define your hand.

Post-flop I normally don't mind giving a free card when I flop huge as long as you take Tikay's advice on board. We have to be aware of the hands which might get there when the club or straightening card comes on the turn. That's the downside of letting him have a free look. The upside is obviously nice though. If he hits that ace or makes a smaller set with those 99s, we're probably getting the lot. To play tricky after the flop requires a bit of discipline and thought but can be far more profitable as long as you're willing to make some tough folds from time to time.

In this example, it's a tough break. Seeing the gutshot get there was pretty nigh impossible, so I would have stacked off too. Just unlucky sir, but the area you might look at again is the pre-flop play.

EDIT: Having seen the hand again, I NOW realise he just flat-called an open raise. I'm keeping my post as-is for advice on how I'd play it if we were UTG though. That and going to Specsavers. Oh, and yes pre-flop I would just jam it as Tikay says. Solid hand and lots of dead money in there too. 

• edited October 2009
    Imo, you should have folded immediately after the all in, you may have been short stacked, but at least you would still have been in it. Posted by acebarry10
    Strongly disagree.

He was calling about 1300 to win 8K or getting 6-1.
    He had 11 outs to redraw the full house so was 23% even if mmmchips had the straight (and there's no guarantee of that).
    He was getting 6/1 on a 3/1 shot - absolutely clear call.
  • edited October 2009
    didnt re-raise pre, didnt bet flop, min raised turn. Honestly the number one difference between good and bad players is aggression. re raise pre because you have the 4th best possible hand and you have no reason to think you dont have the best hand and you dont wanna play a multi way pot. This isnt a tricky hand. Bet flop because you want to extract chips from all draws and weaker pairs. Honerstly people never fold pairs, bet bet bet. Make your opponent make tough decisions, a min raise on the turn isnt a tough decision. Bad players always try and play big hands as slowly as possible or bet as small as possible because they dont want people to fold. They always end up losing a big pot or winning a tiny one. Dont be a bad player.
    Posted by offshoot
    That's a purler of a Post imo, a right little Pandora's box of truisms.

Read that 10 times, implement, & you'll be a 20% better player overnight.

"Make your opponent make tough decisions". That is so good. Instead, we faced the tough decision.
  • edited October 2009

A great Post by Sky Dave, but really, it boils down to this.

".....EDIT: Having seen the hand again, I NOW realise he just flat-called an open raise. I'm keeping my post as-is for advice on how I'd play it if we were UTG though. That and going to Specsavers. Oh, and yes pre-flop I would just jam it as Tikay says. Solid hand and lots of dead money in there too....".

The more I think asbout it, the more I think this is a clear-cut "jam". 

I really ought to try & spend some more time in this Poker Strategy Board - there's some great stuff in here.

To the OP - Pod1 was it? - hope you don't think I, or anyone else, is being overly critical. You asked a question, & I think you've had some terrific replies.

There is so much more to hand Analysis than standard, book-based, lines. In this case, the key factors are the Blinds Level, & our Stack. And that dead money in the middle. And we KNOW that the guy who Called the Raise can't have much in that spot, unless he's really bad.

I think I have now made my mind up - it's a jam. It only took me three days to decide.....
  • edited October 2009
    I think I have now made my mind up - it's a jam. It only took me three days to decide.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    I reckon you would have timed out then, Tikay ;)

Of course, I agree with what you say about the Strategy forum having some real pearls of wisdom. I honestly think opening your game up and being man enough to take criticism on your own game and learn from it is THE best way to play (aside from playing itself, that is). Sky Poker has a great community and some very handy little players, too. The stuff on here can only be of help provided it's read the right way and applied correctly.

The best hard and fast rule about poker is there are no hard and fast rules. Look around you, observe and learn. When you're done with that, take a good look at your own game too and you'll improve immeasurably.
  • edited October 2009
    wow so much advice to go into such a small brain, guys tnx again and no tikay i dont think it too critical, pretty thick skin me, thats why it takes a bit of time to go in!!!!!!
  • edited October 2009
    At least you learnt how to cut and paste!!!

Worth bustin out purely for that gem!!!

Keep at it mate, there truely is no right or wrong answer here, had you been a little closer to the button, your decision would be so much easier.
  • edited October 2009
    totaly agree hale, button or just before only 1 thing to do cheers for the computer advice ca on tables