You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

butchering AK?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
xSmall blind£0.02£0.02£4.05yBig blind £0.04£0.06£4.29 Your hole cardsKA   harding10Raise £0.20£0.26£3.68ciderdartFold    UltimaFold    xCall £0.18£0.44£3.87yRaise £0.44£0.88£3.85harding10Call £0.28£1.16£3.40xCall £0.28£1.44£3.59Flop  104K   xCheck    yBet £0.12£1.56£3.73harding10Call £0.12£1.68£3.28xAll-in £3.59£5.27£0.00yFold    harding10???? 

X & y are regs, x I think is one of the best of those I've played at nl4, y is solid.

1) Should I have 4 bet AK pre with y's 3 bet being small?

2) When y bets so small on that flop should I be re-raising? (looking back at the hand I think I should)

3) Should I call X's shove? I don't think from the betting that x has AA / KK, but am previously suspicious that y might. Once y folds, I'm thinking KQs, AK for a split pot, or a pocket pair. The only other pairs which are beating me are 10's & 4's and I can't see 4's calling the 3 bet.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    4 bet pre would be best
    raise flop - can't see no reason not to raise to get it in, you calling giving very cheap cards away

as played

looks like set or FD, depends who the players are - call and note i finks
    very likely you have the same hand
  • edited September 2011
    def call, looks like fd to me with maybe ks. runner runner spades would be fun :-)
  • edited September 2011
    Most say to 4bet pre , i usually flat to get the ideal flop which is what you got in this situation , its then an easy call to the all-in for me.

Also i aint never flattin the 1st bet post flop , im raising to prob £1.20 ish here so im happy to get it all-in
  • edited September 2011
    Yep 4bet pre and don't fold.

Flop is perfect so you should raise BIG here and don't fold, can't understand the call, you have to raise for value here. If X has a set that it's just hard cheese, don't think folding TPTK at NL4 can ever be good without massive good reads which you don't need at this level as you should be focusing on playing bad players.
  • edited September 2011
    I had a hand play out similarly recently.

I was up against a player I knew was a reg. He made a bizarrely small bet (0.04) on the flop. I had missed the flop but had overcards so I called (being so cheap).

I hit top pair on the turn, so my money started to go in.

Turned out he had hit a set on the flop and made his quads on the river.

Luckily I didn't lose too much! I think I played it badly though (or rather, I was outplayed). I just put it down to experience.

• edited September 2011
    Defo 4bet and defo call.

Why wouldn't they call the 3bet with 4's, they are getting pretty good odds to call and even better with implied odds.
  • edited September 2011
    I think just flat calling the bet on the flop is horrible, he's only bet about 10% of the pot, and you're letting him away with it. Have to re-raise here... get it in.