You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

river spot with trips

ybyb
edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
pretty much the worst river card. villain is a competent, fairly aggro reg. i had been 3betting him quite a lot but mainly when his raises were from late position. he probably views me as spewy but mainly from my preflop play as he had caught me 3betting/4betting light a few times, but that's not really that relevant here.

i think when i call flop and turn i pretty much always have a queen, does that make the river a fold? any thoughts on previous streets also appreciated.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
castatray Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £15.57
yoyo Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £212.87
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

varney Raise   £3.00 £4.50 £135.74
yb Call   £3.00 £7.50 £97.85
50QUID Call   £3.00 £10.50 £119.51
hhamza162 Call   £3.00 £13.50 £83.73
castatray Fold        
yoyo Fold        
Flop

• Q

varney Bet   £10.00 £23.50 £125.74
yb Call   £10.00 £33.50 £87.85
50QUID Fold        
hhamza162 Call   £10.00 £43.50 £73.73
Turn

• Q

varney Bet   £27.00 £70.50 £98.74
yb Call   £27.00 £97.50 £60.85
hhamza162 Fold        
River

• K

varney All-in   £98.74 £196.24 £0.00

Comments

• ybyb
    edited September 2011
    also the other caller on the flop likes to call pre and float flops a lot, he'd probably be raising that flop with his very strong hands though
  • edited September 2011
    Is villian betting to draw a Club ?? is there a reason why you only flatted the turn ?? surely he either HAS the club or he has a Q in his hand , AQ KQ QJ ??
  • edited September 2011
    blah

looks like he got you beat, flush, KQ 

Why you not raising his leads ?

If you calling i finks your range can be wider than just a Q, but it feels like he got KQ the way the hand is played.
  • edited September 2011
    y not 3b pre?

Doesn't look good now duz it!! :s
  • ybyb
    edited September 2011
    i didn't 3bet pre because i'm not happy getting it in utg v utg+1 and i don't think he flat calls enough when i 3bet from early position to make 3b/fing profitable, and AQs plays pretty well in single raised pots, even multi-way.

i'm never going to raise the flop because it's just seriously over-repping my hand, and rancid the fact that by calling my range is wider (especially on the flop) is one of the reasons why calling /> raising here imo.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't even pay attention to where the open comes from tbh....

I do if it's the button but in e.p I don't even consider that he's opening tigher!!  (prob coz I don't open any tighter myself!!)

Raising hand is a raising hand :p

#basics :(
  • ybyb
    edited September 2011
    i think you do even if its subconsciously. like if you had KTo utg with 3 aggro regs to act behind you you'd probably fold it, but if you had it in the cut-off with only 1 aggro reg to act behind you'd raise?
  • edited September 2011

In Response to Re: river spot with trips:

i didn't 3bet pre because i'm not happy getting it in utg v utg+1 and i don't think he flat calls enough when i 3bet from early position to make 3b/fing profitable, and AQs plays pretty well in single raised pots, even multi-way. i'm never going to raise the flop because it's just seriously over-repping my hand, and rancid the fact that by calling my range is wider (especially on the flop) is one of the reasons why calling /> raising here imo.Posted by yb

I hear ya !

Easier way to get paid off by KQ/AJ type hands without risking having to fold to a 4 bet bluff.

As you have started passive on the flop then I guess you have to carry on the story.

“I’ll just call and maybe I hit”

So now he finks you have hit your fush and boooom KQ

I finks by raising flop and/or turn will still see you getting value from hands that can call or will call to bink

Letting him bet into you will either result in you being outdrawn or him not hitting and you get no more value.

So get the value on offer and raise )

• edited September 2011
    Understand completely why you have played passively through the streets, it's not a bad line to try and get the maximum from time to time against the right people.  The downside of playing like this is you have to fold strong holdings when the board runs out to the worst case scenario.

Three questions to find a call:

1)  Does the villain overplay AA on this board like this?

2)  As you have the Q a lot in your range, is the villain capable of recognising what a bad card this is for you and turning hands into bluffs/shoving with air?  The problem with this is along with AQ, KQ turns up in your range a lot and obviously you're not folding a rivered house.  He might be bluffing with a combo draw blocker (either the T or J of clubs) and is taking you calling with a combo draw out of your range but this is pretty tenuous unless you have good reason to believe it possible from them.

3)  Is the villain capable of playing walrus crazy?

Personally I think this is a fold and is the curse of deciding to play your holding passively (not that I think this is a bad thing, just if you do this, on rare occasions you have to fold).
  • edited September 2011
    dont like ur line pre, opens the flood gates... but its ok if u can play post flop i suppose. Your oppos bet is v bad on the turn(bit of a tell) if he is setting up the river to get the stacks in....therefore making me think he wasnt thinking of this! but betting so not allowing you to bluff the turn possibly( doing this with AA,KK) or acting like a stopper bet so that he doesnt have to face a big bet with a flush draw?...

when he shoves the river he either has kk or a flush imo and ovc a bluff is poss, if hes capable. reason being if he had , aq poss kq, 77, 99 a good player would have bet the turn with the intention of setting up a good pot size for an easy value shove on the river.

you are only beating a bluff so a very tough call for you on the river...
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: river spot with trips:
    i didn't 3bet pre because i'm not happy getting it in utg v utg+1 and i don't think he flat calls enough when i 3bet from early position to make 3b/fing profitable, and AQs plays pretty well in single raised pots, even multi-way. i'm never going to raise the flop because it's just seriously over-repping my hand, and rancid the fact that by calling my range is wider (especially on the flop) is one of the reasons why calling /> raising here imo.
    Posted by yb
    +1 to the above, against a good player without some major aggro history (more than some light 3b/4b v lp opens) call /> raise on both flop and turn

You also say

i think when i call flop and turn i pretty much always have a queen, does that make the river a fold?

I dont think this is the case, but that river makes it tough for him to vbet worse. I think its a fold, he doesnt bet flop 4way with air that often and the only hand I can see you beating is AA. Im wondering does shoving turn level him into a call sometimes with AA,KK but I think you played it well and river is a fold
  • edited September 2011
    You're beating varney about 'never' times there.
  • edited September 2011
    why are u not 3 betting pre but more importanly when he bets £27 on the turn u got your set i would of raised big here to stop him calling to hit hes flush i would of gone £80 or so myself 
  • edited September 2011
    Played fine, River is a fold. He probably thinks you will pay him off with a flush here.
  • edited September 2011
    Imo i think he has had you crushed from the flop onwards 77 99 and like someone else said on here i would say the same that your beating him zero times if he is doing this
  • edited September 2011
    flat vs utg is standard. He shows great strength even cbetting this wet flop multiway, strong combo draw or set imo.