You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing?

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i have been playing bricks & mortar poker lately 3 out of five making final table yet only min cashing once would like a few thoughts
most recent 10 handed table only 7 cash, blinds are 1200 - 2400 i have just under 14bb utg jams for 7bb i call in cut off with AQ he shows 66 blah blah he wins pot the question is should i of just folded & waited for a better spot or is it really a standard call under circumstances ... previously i def made mistake of sitting with 10 big blinds jamming with AJ knowing i am only going to get called by a better hand when there was 2 players sitting there with less than 4bb at the table i should let them fight it out 1st knowing they would have to jam with such low stacks obviously walked into AK... theres no ante in these tournys
ANY THOUGHTS

Comments

• edited September 2011
    By making that call and the shove with a/j it shows you're going for the win.

You can sit there and hope the shorties knock each other out to ladder up. The trouble with that is then you will be short stacked too. Then if the shorties manage to double up you're in trouble.

• edited September 2011
    In Response to HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing?:
    i have been playing bricks & mortar poker lately 3 out of five making final table yet only min cashing once would like a few thoughts most recent 10 handed table only 7 cash, blinds are 1200 - 2400 i have just under 14bb utg jams for 7bb i call in cut off with AQ he shows 66 blah blah he wins pot the question is should i of just folded & waited for a better spot or is it really a standard call under circumstances ... previously i def made mistake of sitting with 10 big blinds jamming with AJ knowing i am only going to get called by a better hand when there was 2 players sitting there with less than 4bb at the table i should let them fight it out 1st knowing they would have to jam with such low stacks obviously walked into AK... theres no ante in these tournys ANY THOUGHTS
    Posted by sunnyhil03

At this stage everyone wants to cash. Usually a 2 bigs raise will be enough to take the blinds. Jamming all your stack will only win the same blinds or get your jam called by a better hand. Stay cool and don't dip for the line too soon.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing?:
    i have been playing bricks & mortar poker lately 3 out of five making final table yet only min cashing once would like a few thoughts most recent 10 handed table only 7 cash, blinds are 1200 - 2400 i have just under 14bb utg jams for 7bb i call in cut off with AQ he shows 66 blah blah he wins pot the question is should i of just folded & waited for a better spot or is it really a standard call under circumstances ... previously i def made mistake of sitting with 10 big blinds jamming with AJ knowing i am only going to get called by a better hand when there was 2 players sitting there with less than 4bb at the table i should let them fight it out 1st knowing they would have to jam with such low stacks obviously walked into AK... theres no ante in these tournys ANY THOUGHTS
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Doing anything other than jamming here would be a mistake.

The call with AQ is also fine. I'da re-shoved the rest of my stack but doesn't really make a difference.

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing?:
    In Response to HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : At this stage everyone wants to cash. Usually a 2 bigs raise will be enough to take the blinds. Jamming all your stack will only win the same blinds or get your jam called by a better hand. Stay cool and don't dip for the line too soon.
    Posted by elsadog
    you think the call with AQ is ok
  • edited September 2011
    i'd reshove with AQ unless noone behin you, ez call you lost a flip ul

just pay attention to those who are folding away and put pressure on them, main thing if your that short is knowing your opponents shoving ranges and take into account where you are eg. if your last one easier to call
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : you think the call with AQ is ok
    Posted by sunnyhil03

I think it's a case of know your customer. The guy has 7bigs and jams with 3 to the bubble. You have 14 bigs.

I don't think it's panic time with 14 bigs and the best your likely to get with the call is a race. I probably would have folded at that time, but the table history/dynamics would play a big part in my decision to call or not. The call isn't bad by any means - you got what you probably anticipated you would get - a race. I would only question whether you needed to get involved in a race at all at that stage. That's just my point of view and I guess most would say ''go for the win'' 

I think the balance of laddering and going for the win is always a tricky decision at that stage in an mtt and we can't expect to get it right every time.
  • edited September 2011
    thx all for replying its just a confidence thing ithink
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : I think it's a case of know your customer. The guy has 7bigs and jams with 3 to the bubble. You have 14 bigs. I don't think it's panic time with 14 bigs and the best your likely to get with the call is a race. I probably would have folded at that time, but the table history/dynamics would play a big part in my decision to call or not. The call isn't bad by any means - you got what you probably anticipated you would get - a race. I would only question whether you needed to get involved in a race at all at that stage. That's just my point of view and I guess most would say ''go for the win''  I think the balance of laddering and going for the win is always a tricky decision at that stage in an mtt and we can't expect to get it right every time.
    Posted by elsadog
    think im looking for winning line too early i have been happy with my play getting too final table... will give the £50 deepstack ago sunday see what happens
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : think im looking for winning line too early i have been happy with my play getting too final table... will give the £50 deepstack ago sunday see what happens
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    where do you play?
  • edited September 2011
    run better and win flips

AJ UTG 14 bigs and shove - your only getting called by hands that at best your racing with, at worst your dominated.
    Unless you get a loose call from blind A7 but they will bink a seven anyway :) Happens to me far too often online and live :)

finks i would rarther shove with mid pocket pr than AJ tbh

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : where do you play?
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    THE FOX
  • edited September 2011
    Tournaments are all about winning not cashing!
  • edited September 2011
    Tournaments are all about winning not cashing!
    Posted by beaneh
    True but you can't win unless you cash
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : True but you can't win unless you cash
    Posted by elsadog

playing to merely cash stunts your chances of winning, and in top heavy mtt payouts winning covers you for alot more tournament entries than cashing does.

winning 1/10 > cashing 9/10
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : playing to merely cash stunts your chances of winning, and in top heavy mtt payouts winning covers you for alot more tournament entries than cashing does. winning 1/10 /> cashing 9/10
    Posted by beaneh
    so your saying my plays were right?
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : so your saying my plays were right?
    Posted by sunnyhil03

You shouldn't be folding to cash, you should be making plays that show a profit in the long run, and in the short term there will be lots of swongs because that's what tournies are like. One day you'll win with AQ vs 77 3 times and have a hudge stack and if you can play well from there you can have a much better chance of a first rather than just a deep run. IF you do manage a first then it will be alot more financially rewarding than the odd mincash. :-)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: HELP!!! making final tables & not cashing? : playing to merely cash stunts your chances of winning, and in top heavy mtt payouts winning covers you for alot more tournament entries than cashing does. winning 1/10 /> cashing 9/10
    Posted by beaneh

Oh I see, I'll take that on board  :o)