You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too much variance?

Hi all.

Basically i've been playing the 30p DYM's, got my roll up to where i could move up to the 60p DYM's.....competition is pretty much the same, and all of a sudden i start losing to really bad beats, and have had to drop back down to 30p DYM's.

With the competition being similar, and me playing the same (ultra tight)...is there any explanation for this? It seems like whenever i move up a level i start catching bad beats, my monster hole cards never hit and i always seem to be fighting the blinds.

Another thing - when you raise big before the flop, and someone re-raises, so you call....then you hit something like A trips, and go all in, get called, and the other player hits a full house on the river....how do you combat this? How can you play against these people that will go all in with any old trash?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    I think i have talked to you about this before pipunch! I started playing these when i first started but found that the high % rake and obviously high % variance in these made me a losing player. I admire you for starting at the very beginning and working your way up but i think you should be looking at some of the slightly bigger DYM's, probably 3.30 ones as there is only 10% rake.

Its just my personnal preference on these, i find it nigh on impossible to get any sort of meaningful profit at 30p/60p DYM's. Suppose they are good for practicing your strategy and it sounds like you have a decent one if you have moved up once or twice.

Obviously, dont play with money you cant afford to lose but if you knock the rake down it obviously increases your % chance of profit.

How you finding it otherwise?