You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (24th/25th)

edited September 2011 in Betting Chat

I’m aiming to make it 4 weekends in a row for a winning selection but the fixtures are quite difficult this weekend. There’s too many that are either ridiculously short odds & not worth bothering about or they’re close calls.

Having said that I’ve gone for 3 bets for tomorrow so hopefully I’ve managed to find some diamonds in the rough.

Main Acca:

Birmingham to beat Barnsley (H) @ 7/10

Burnley/Southampton – Both to score @ 4/7

West Ham to beat Peterborough (H) @ 8/13

Crewe/Port Vale – Both to score @ 4/7

These 4 pay a very respectable 11/2.

Birmingham have played 2 league games at St Andrews this season & so far it’s a perfect record with 2 wins, 4 goals scored & none conceded. They entertain a Barnsley side who have a better record on the road than they do at Oakwell so far but I think their first defeat on their travels in coming in the Midlands. The last time Barnsley took anything from St Andrews was in August 1998 in a 0-0 draw. Brum have won the last three at home against the Tykes without conceding. This is a decent price & well worthy of inclusion in any acca this weekend.

Burnley have only failed to score at home once this season when they went down 2-0 against Middlesbrough. They’ll play their usual attacking game & with Southampton playing a similar style they’ll be gaps at the back. Southampton have conceded an average of 1.2 goals per game in the league this season & that rises to nearly 2 per game on the road. I fancy there could be a few goals in this one so wouldn’t put anyone off backing the over market either.

Big Sam’s revolution is starting to take shape now & if he’s to succeed with an immediate return to the top flight then it’s exactly these types of games we need to win. Fergie Jnr will have his troops up for the game & should send them out to attack. However we’ve got so many attacking options now its borderline stupid. Carlton Cole already has 4 this season but should he have an off day then we’ve got Sam Baldock & John Carew to come off the bench. Alongside them we’ve an abundance of options in midfield now so I expect us to get the job done here. I wouldn’t put anyone off backing the overs or both to score markets either but they’re both shorter prices than this.

Between them Crewe & Port Vale have scored 33 goals in just 9 league games so far. Crewe have failed to keep a clean sheet in their 4 games at Gresty Road so far this term whilst Port Vale have scored at least once in every game. Recent history is on our side in this fixture too with both games being won by the home side 2-1 last season.

Long Shot Acca:

Chelsea to win to nil @ 10/11

Spurs to beat Wigan (A) @ 10/11

Coventry/Reading – DRAW @ 12/5

MK Dons to beat Bury (A) @ 21/20

Sheff Utd to beat Wycombe (A) @ evens

Morecambe to beat Bristol Rovers (H) @ 11/10

These 6 potentially pay a Gary Neville face smacking 106/1 so well worth a dabble, albeit with small stakes.

This price on Chelsea to win to nil is too big imo. Swansea have yet to score on their travels so far & only scored their first league goals of the season last weekend at home to West Brom. Granted, they’ve played two of their more difficult away games at Man City & Arsenal but it’s not gonna get any easier in West London. I don’t necessarily think Chelsea will rack up a cricket score (although they’re certainly capable of it) but I can’t see them conceding either.

Like last season Wigan are already struggling for goals with 4 to their name so far. On the face of it that’s not the worst return in the world considering they’ve only played 5 league games so far but 3 of those came against newly promoted sides in their opening 3 games (of which they only won 1 of them). Spurs started badly with two spankings against the Manchester sides but they’ve got themselves back on track since winning their last 2, scoring 6 without reply. Spurs don’t have a particularly great record at the DW stadium with 2 wins from their 6 visits but they’re in the better form of the two & I fancy they’ll nick this one.

Coventry & Reading are two sides who have struggled early doors this season & a stalemate is the most likely outcome at the Ricoh tomorrow afternoon. Both games finished goalless last term & with neither side in particularly great goal scoring form so far I can’t call a winner.

MK Dons are a massive price here even on the road. Despite making a good start to life in League 1, Bury are in freefall. Ryan Lowe has left for pastures new & it’s difficult to see where the match winners are gonna come from. They’ve lost their last 7 straight in all competitions & the omens don’t look good when one of the early season pace setters stroll into town. MK Dons have won 3 from 4 on the road in the league this term & whilst they won’t have things all their own way they should get the job done.

Sheffield Utd are unbeaten in 4 on the road in the league so far & they’ll travel to Wycombe with high hopes of extending that run. Wycombe have lost the last 5 in the league & their only point at home this season came on the opening day in a 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe. The Blades come into this game on the back of a 3-0 win against Colchester last weekend & I fully expect them to keep the pressure on early season leaders Charlton here.

Early season pace setters Morecambe are a massive price at home to a Rovers side who have struggled so far. Since a surprise opening day defeat to Barnet they’re unbeaten in 8 in the league & last time out at the Globe Arena they stuck 6 past Crawley Town. Bristol Rovers’ only win on the road this term came at newly promoted AFC Wimbledon on the opening day where they eventually ran out 3-2 winners. Since then they’ve drawn at struggling Macclesfield & Bradford & were spanked 4-1 at Crawley. If they turn up they’re capable of getting something from the game but this price is far too big to ignore imo.

Both to Score Acca:

Colchester/Walsall @ 4/6

Carlisle/Stevenage @ 8/11

Rotherham/Southend @ 8/11

Aldershot/Crawley @ 8/13

Hayes/Gateshead @ 4/7

York/Luton @ 4/5

These 6 return a mouth watering 22/1 so a couple of quid lumped on.

If there’s one thing you’re pretty much guaranteed with Colchester these days its goals. With a total of 29 goals for & against in their opening 9 games they’ve yet to keep a clean sheet anywhere let alone at home. The only side to prevent them scoring at home this season was leaders Charlton. Walsall have scored in every away game so far so this’ll probably finish 0-0 now!

Carlisle & Stevenage are two more sides who are conceding as many as they’re scoring. The Cumbrians have only one victory at home this term & have conceded 9 goals in 4 games whilst the only game Stevenage have failed to score in on the road was at MK Dons.

Both Rotherham & Southend have made decent starts to their seasons but the one thing that could prevent either of them clinching promotion this year is their back lines. The last 3 meetings in Yorkshire have seen a total of 13 goals & not a clean sheet amongst them.

Aldershot started slowly but have picked up the pace now & are unbeaten in their last 8 in all competitions, winning 6 of them. They haven’t conceded too many, particularly at home but Crawley are the visitors this weekend & win, lose or draw they’re always a goal threat. They’re averaging 2 goals scored per game so far with 18 in their favour but the only sides that have conceded more than them so far are Hereford & Plymouth who currently occupy the bottom two spots in the division.

Hayes & Gateshead have been scoring & conceding for fun this season & recent history in this fixture suggests they’ll be goals too. The last two meetings at Hayes have produced a total of 9 goals & if the form book goes accordingly that record should continue tomorrow.

Luton are currently top of the conference on goal difference from Wrexham, Gateshead & Fleetwood & it’s their form away from Kenilworth Road that’s prevented them from having a points lead instead. They’ve only one clean sheet in five attempts so far & at home, York will fancy their chances of getting something here.

Good luck if you’re having a go this weekend

Jay

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Once again Jay fantastic effort there. Il prob get on some of these in the morning. You were right about Northampton last week. What do you reckon this week? We have only won 1 in last 14 home league games. Sick isnt it. Im not looking forward to it!
  • edited September 2011
    Nice bets, whats your hit rate?

I think there could be a few goals this weekend in the Premier league.
    1. Norwich v Sunderland Over 2.5 Goals @ 10/11
    2. Q.P.R. v Aston Villa Over 2.5 Goals @ 6/5
    3. Stoke v Manchester Utd Over 2.5 Goals @ 8/11
    4. Wigan v Tottenham Over 2.5 Goals @ 5/6
    5. West Brom v Fulham Over 2.5 Goals @ evens
    6. Newcastle v Blackburn Over 2.5 Goals @ 10/11
    7. Liverpool v Wolves Over 2.5 Goals @ 8/11
    8. Chelsea v Swansea Over 2.5 Goals @ 1/2
    9. Arsenal v Bolton Over 2.5 Goals @ 4/7
    10. Manchester City v Everton Over 2.5 Goals @ 4/6
    Returns 341-1,   were due a few goals in the premier league, seeing as the Champions League fixtures wernt played this week ill take an outside chance on a few goals this weekend.

Good luck!
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Weekend footy betting (24th/25th):
    Nice bets, whats your hit rate? I think there could be a few goals this weekend in the Premier league. Norwich v Sunderland Over 2.5 Goals @ 10/11 Q.P.R. v Aston Villa Over 2.5 Goals @ 6/5 Stoke v Manchester Utd Over 2.5 Goals @ 8/11 Wigan v Tottenham Over 2.5 Goals @ 5/6 West Brom v Fulham Over 2.5 Goals @ evens Newcastle v Blackburn Over 2.5 Goals @ 10/11 Liverpool v Wolves Over 2.5 Goals @ 8/11 Chelsea v Swansea Over 2.5 Goals @ 1/2 Arsenal v Bolton Over 2.5 Goals @ 4/7 Manchester City v Everton Over 2.5 Goals @ 4/6 Returns 341-1,   were due a few goals in the premier league, seeing as the Champions League fixtures wernt played this week ill take an outside chance on a few goals this weekend. Good luck!
    Posted by SR21090
    My mates just been saying that . It seems everyone is thinking the same although I think it is reflected in the odds thsi week

My bet is a bit of a rushed one this week - Just for a bit of interest

£2 accumilator
    1St Johnstone v Hearts - Over/Under 3.5 Goals (Backing  Over 3.5 Goals @ 4.07)
    2Ayr v Queen of South - Over/Under 2.5 goals (Backing  Over 2.5 Goals @ 1.66)
    3Dunfermline v Rangers - Over/Under 3.5 Goals (Backing  Over 3.5 Goals @ 2.52)
    4Celtic v Inverness CT - Over/Under 3.5 Goals (Backing  Over 3.5 Goals @ 2.15)
    4-Folds
    SelectionsOddsStakePotential win
    1,2,3 and 436.83£2.00£71.66
  • edited September 2011

Had a decent win last saturday so hopefully do good again today.

Liverpool  to beat  Wolves
    Boro        to beat  Ipswich
    Preston    to beat  Tranmere
    Gillingham to beat Burton
    Motherwell to beat Aberdeen.

This pays a decent 14/1 so worth a fiver.

• edited September 2011
    I would expect QPR to beat Villa 2moro quite comfortabley - competition for strikers + red hot midfield quintet now
  • edited September 2011
    HERE ARE MINE SPURS BRUMCHARLTON CHELTENHAM AN GILLINGHAM PAYS 15 2 1
  • edited September 2011

Wigan v Spurs
    MBoro v Ipswich
    West Ham v P*sh
    Derby v Millwall
    Bradford v Wimbledon

£5 pays £132.93

Both to Score

Burnley/Soton
    Crewr/Port Vale
    Colchester/Walsall
    Aldershot/Crawley
    Rotherham/Southend
    York/Luton
    Newcastle/Blackburn

£5 pays £169

• edited September 2011
    Had my usual 5r on a 7 fold acca....loads of odds on shots, + Northampton. gg there then.

But been experimenting with the double chance coupon.....

It actually looks like you can print money on it. As always with gambling, it's never going to be that easy....

Man City to draw or win @ home to everton.....

Arsenal to draw or win @ home to Bolton....

Man Utd to draw or win away @ Stoke......

Liverpool to draw or win @ home to Wolves.....

Charlton and Huddersfield, both high flyers in Lg.2.....both @ home.....

That acca pays 21/20......

I was gonna lump on BIGGGG, but as it's my first week trying it, I'll stick to 20 quid, and see how it goes.

• edited September 2011
    i have an idea  see what the rest of you  think called the upset special whoever gets the biggest upset of the weeeekend eg swansea at chelsea wins a prize entry to tsp classic or thews at ten
  • edited September 2011
    Nice bets, whats your hit rate? 
    Posted by SR21090
    I've had my main acca come in for the last three weeks now. I add the other two for a bit of extra fun.

I'm gonna need a few goals in the 2nd half this week though!
  • edited September 2011
    FootballBarclays Premier LeagueChelsea v SwanseaMatch Result 24/09/2011 15:00Chelsea (Win) @ 1/5
    FootballBarclays Premier LeagueArsenal v BoltonMatch Result 24/09/2011 15:00Arsenal (Win) @ 2/5
    FootballBarclays Premier LeagueManchester City v EvertonMatch Result 24/09/2011 12:45Manchester City (Win) @ 4/9
    FootballBarclays Premier LeagueLiverpool v WolvesMatch Result 24/09/2011 15:00Liverpool (Win) @ 4/11
    FootballNpower League 2Northampton v Dagenham & RedbridgeMatch Result 24/09/2011 15:00Northampton (Win) @ 23/20
    FootballNpower League 1Huddersfield v Leyton OrientMatch Result 24/09/2011 15:00Huddersfield @ 4/9
    FootballBarclays Premier LeagueWigan v TottenhamMatch Result 24/09/2011 15:00Tottenham (Win) @ 5/6

Huddersfield 2-0 up at home, against bottom of the league, after 85 minutes.....

£5.50, returned £105.

SICK AS A PARROT
  • edited September 2011
    Ouch mate. At least I wasn't the only one who had one side let me down (albeit my odds weren't as big either!).

Not sure about tomorrow's games yet. Might give them a miss but will decide in the morning.
  • edited September 2011
    had 3£ 1all draw qpr villa 12s i think
  • edited September 2011

Yessssssssss!!! Just had QPR VILLA 1 1 at 11/2 Nice return for my £25.00 . Hope Sunderland win 3 2 tomoz as had a £5 double on that with the QPR result! It will be over £850 if it comes in..

• edited September 2011
    yes an me only 3 quid tho
  • edited September 2011
    Yessssssssss!!! Just had QPR VILLA 1 1 at 11/2 Nice return for my £25.00 . Hope Sunderland win 3 2 tomoz as had a £5 double on that with the QPR result! It will be over £850 if it comes in..
    Posted by cleaverjim
    I HAVE TAKEN YOUR TIP AND HAD A BET ON SUNDERLAND TO WIN IN FULL TIME 1.87/1