You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sean O'Driscoll sacked - worst decision ever.

edited September 2011 in The Football Corner

Despite his awful record in 2011, this is probably the worst decision by any board/chairman ever.

It's even worse than the ridonkulous sacking of Big Sam by Blackburn last year.....

It's unreal how unlucky we have been with injuries, for so long now he's been working with half a squad.

The opening day of the season, away at now "high flying" Brighton, we're 1-0 up after 80 mins, already had James Hayter stretchered off, when Billy Sharp gets clobbered, stretchered off, and we're down to 10, as we've used all our subs.

We lose 2-1 with an 88th minute equaliser and 94th minute winner.

It seriously has been going like that for 10 months. 

It seems the board have overuled/outvoted the chairman, who was fully behind the manager, as are the fans. 

With the squad finally coming back to something like full strength, this is awful timing, and IMO the worst decision of all time.

O'Driscoll will end up managing at least a mid table Premiership team, this is probably the best thing for his career, having been declined opportunities to work in the premiership in the past by our board!!!

Unreal, gobsmacked, gutted!

GG Championship, beginning of the end :(

Comments

• edited September 2011
    GOING DOWN GOING DOWN GOING DOWN...

GOING DOWN GOING DOWN GOING DOOOOOOWN..

GOING DOWN GOING DOWN GOING DOWN...

GOING DOWN...

GOING DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!
  • edited September 2011
    Awful decision.

Some of the football you played under him was great to watch, especially for the championship.

Like you say with all of those injuries to key players you're always going to struggle.

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Sean O'Driscoll sacked - worst decision ever.:
    Awful decision. Some of the football you played under him was great to watch, especially for the championship. Like you say with all of those injuries to key players you're always going to struggle.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    +1 This is what i meant to say.
  • edited September 2011
    They are going down though now.

• edited September 2011
    If I had a season ticket, I wouldn't renew it after this decision.

+1 to going down. Glad I didn't back them BIG to stay up, was flirting with that idea.
  • edited September 2011
    i liked s.od thought he would keep them in the championship given more time,didn't think they,d sack him at the first sign of trouble but most boards are shortsighted and look at it as a results business,hope donny stay up gl
  • edited September 2011
    Nearly all troubles with football clubs start at board level ...!!! Discuss.

Bad dismissal, looked a manager with potential to take the club forward on a shoestring budget.As dohhh has said whoever comes in will gain the benefit of returning injured players and could potentially look like the new messiah for a few games at least, having done nothing!
  • edited September 2011
    I was really shocked when I heard this earlier. Granted, Donny fans will have more of an idea of what's going on at the club than me but I thought he was doing a good job, especially considering the injuries.

These decisions often come back to bite them on the backside & I think the only way is down from here.

What I don't get more than anything though, is if you're going to sack your manager for poor results (or whatever bs excuse they want to give) then surely you replace him with someone that's experienced. Dean Saunders was a great player in his time but his only managerial experience is in the conference! 
  • edited September 2011
    Why did i think you were a Sheff Utd fan DOHHHHHHH?

Regards the sacking, yeah, its a shocker. Even though you beat us in the play-off final a few years ago i have had a soft spot for Donny. The way he set the team out to play was great and everyone likes to see football played the right way. No offence, but i dont believe Donny can get much further up the football ladder on their budget and they are'nt going to get a better manager than they have just let go so its a bit puzzling to say the least. All points to a real struggle this season for you boys. FWIW, i dont think we (Leeds) will be that far away from the bottom few this year.

Only time will tell on this one but i cant see Donny surviving this season. Hope they do though, mate! You manage to get to a few games DOHHHHHHH? I was at your stadium not so long ago for the challenge cup semi final when the Rhinos beat Castleford, its not too shabby is it? Needs a pub near the ground though!
  • edited September 2011
    There's a pub not too far away, trouble is it gets packed.

Best thing we found to do is book a table to have something to eat, then you get drinks brought to your table whilst you're eating so no more waiting for an hour at the bar.

It's a tidy little ground but it's the same as most new stadiums, it's got no character.

• edited September 2011

Yes i think bad call on sacking him but but but saunders will do ok,,Have tbh dont think you will go down you play attractive football unlike PBORO, BRISTOL CITY, WATFORD, COVENTRY, AND MILLWALL..

• edited September 2011
    Would not be surprised if at some point later in his career Sean picks up a job, or The Job at Fulham!!

He is highly respected there, and was prob the best wide midfielder we ever had, {Duff, Davies run close]!!

Had he not had a tremendous record up to start this season, and with ALL the Talksport boys speaking highly of him, I heard about his massive injury list!!

One of ma step-sons mates got season ticket at Donnie, [yep he lives in london, think its an England supporters club, mate thing!!!!], he goes bout 1/3rd home games, he loves him!!
  • edited September 2011

O'Driscoll would be perfect for a club like Fulham.

Goes about his business, stays under the radar, tries to play the right way. Doesn't let the results change his attitude, wether we were 10 unbeaten, or lost 10 in a row, he would always focus on the performance, what was right, wrong, and what could be improved.

He's prob a sh!t hot poker player! lol He would never ever tilt.......

I hope Saunders does well, obv, and he could turn out to be a World Class manager, but that wouldn't justify the decision. Good start at the weekend though, with the squad coming back to 'something like', watch this space :)

---------------

DrSharp, I was at Wembley for the playoff final. Was prob the best footballing day of my life! When you're drinking vodka @ 6am, it's a good start! :):):)

When I bought my tickets from the ticket office for that final, I was approached by loads of different Leeds fans while I waited for my taxi, they were offering me up to 400 quid for the 2 tickets!! I very nearly cashed in!! lol.

As ya know I've backed Leeds to go up, pre season bet....

I've seen em twice on sky, away @ West Ham, then away @ Brighton, and for long periods of both games they looked awsome!! Why can't you defend though?????

Not been to a Donny game for over a year, but used to go away every week, well, unless we were at exeter or summat like that. Occasional home game also, but preferred away days. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's only a fiver for a taxi to town, you could even walk it!! Plenty of ale houses there!!!

• edited September 2011
    Couldnt you have just sold the two tickets and gone back and got some more? I know loads of mates who ended up in the Donny end. They all moved to the top behind the goal. They stopped selling Donny tickets to anyone with a Leeds postcode if i remember rightly.

It was a cracking day (apart from the result obviously).

Oh and i blame you for jinxing us this season with your ridiculous bets! As for the defending, its all part of Bates' plan to keep us right where we are at the moment. If we go up this season we have to pay more of the debt back to the creditors as part of the agreement when we came out of administration. Its a long complicated story but i think we would pretty much lose the premiership money and more if we went up this season. I think that deal runs out at the end of the current season so we might have a better chance next year, Bates might fancy it a bit more and spend some of the money he has obviously got from selling our best players and charging us  a fortune for watching a complete shambles of a defence. Anyway, thats what i am hoping.

Gonna sound old now but do you remember the old ground? I came and watched Forest give you a spanking a few years ago. 8-0 i think it was and i stood with the Forest fans behind the goal on the concrete terracing with the grass growing through it. My mate was a Forest fan and i got talked in to it. I think it was the year you were relegated from the football league. Who ever knew that you would bounce back the way you have!