You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Interesting hand at NL4. line check please

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Don't ask me to explain the call pre flop. It's my favorite hand and... (it literally pains me to say this) "it was sooted". But the rest of the hand is interesting I think. I have a pair and a flush draw on the flop so I bet for value as there are 11 outs (9 clubs and two non-club tens). The flat call doesn't worry me too much at this stage because NL4 players will call here with a straight draw, two pair or just a pair all day.

I bet the turn since it doesn't really change anything unless they had two pair with the king, and get re-raised. But I'm right to call the raise because I'm getting 4:1 on my money and I still have £2.30 left after I make the call. If I hit the flush then I might get a river shove called with trip kings or a straight.

Once I miss I shut down and I'm check folding. I think my opponent's check back is fine here too since I'm only likely to continue with the hand if I am trapping with the full house. There is no value betting the straight here I don't think.

I have not really been in a hand like this where there is so much to work out in terms of pot odds and putting my opponent on a range. My oppening range is usually so small that if I hit then I know I'm winning. Just thought I'd experiment.

Hand History #419376994 (23:04 28/09/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
wasnmee Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.21
jugglegeek Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.08
  Your hole cards

andyboy86 Fold        
X
Raise   £0.16 £0.22 £7.58
thetaker Fold        
wasnmee Fold        
jugglegeek Call   £0.12 £0.34 £3.96
Flop

• J
  • K

jugglegeek Bet   £0.26 £0.60 £3.70
X
Call   £0.26 £0.86 £7.32
Turn

• K

jugglegeek Bet   £0.65 £1.51 £3.05
X
Raise   £1.40 £2.91 £5.92
jugglegeek Call   £0.75 £3.66 £2.30
River

• Q

jugglegeek Check        
X
Check        
jugglegeek Show

X
Show
  • A

X
Win Straight to the Ace £3.38   £9.30

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Snap fold pre, calling I would think is a big leak.

Flop not sure about betting into raiser, if he raises here I presume you're happy getting it in on a draw.

Turn when board pairs I would slow down and hope for free river or small bet, when he raises you I REALLY would not be happy calling as it looks like only clubs are good as hitting a 10 could be worthless if he has K.

River amazed he didn't stick you in but at least you finally slowed down.

Overall I just don't think you need to play these hands at NL4 to be profitable and especially not OOP that makes it much harder.

Your first sentence tells the story really, easy fold pre.
  • edited September 2011
    fold pre enough said.
  • edited September 2011
    this is a bad board to lead. apart from a club on the turn there arent many good cards and its very unlikely you will get your opponent to fold any better hand so your basically valuetowning yourself with bottom pair.
  • edited September 2011
    If your going to call pre, which is not that bad ) just c/c 
    Your hand is not good enough to be leading here, unless you want to get it in now - which I doubt

btw you have to fold that turn as payed :s
    By leading it just puts you in a terrible spot when you get raised
  • edited September 2011
    fold preflop would u call in a higher cash table probably not as its 4nl people play loose like 2 see more flops i would fold preflop here