You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would you do? ( hand in a live game)

edited September 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I play in a local pub poker game every Tuesday, I thought I'd just share this hand from last night, to see what people think.

We each start with 3,500 chips and it was the second hand of the night. Blinds were 25/50 and I was UTG+1 with Aces.

I raised to 200, & it folded around to the SB who called. the BB folded. The SB layer is quite loose. I've seen him make some ridiculous calls, and is quite renowned to overbet. I consider him a bit of a nutter & not a very good player at all and he really can have pretty much anything.

The flop came 4h, 4c, 3s. the SB (who has already lost 300 or 400 on the 1st hand of the night) shoves all in for about 3,000 chips.

Bearing in mind that this was 2nd hand in & for pretty much my whole tourney life, I really did tank for a minute or two.  - What would you do..?

I eventually called. He waited for me to reveal my cards, then sheepishly  showed 3d, 5d.

the turn was a J & the river was another 4.
He growled stating that he didn't think I could call. I then had a massive starting chip lead (I went on to win!)

Was I being too tight even considering the fold, or should I just snap call always in that situation?

thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    you are basically slowrolling him here

with your reads I snap
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    Quickest snap in the history of snapsville
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game):
    you are basically slowrolling him here with your reads I snap
    Posted by grantorino
    incorrect.

Not if I was genuinely trying to work out the liklihood that he had a 4, or pocket 3's (which I was more scared of tbh).
    I'd seen him play some low pairs right through a major painted board before, so it did genuinely make me think. the possibility of him having me beat wasn't beyond the possibility of reason, as demonstrated by his call pre-flop.

At the end I decided it was unlikely & that he had either and that if I fold to that then I'm never going to be prepared to gamble any hand.

• edited September 2011
    just ask yourself why would he shove with a 4 or pkt 3's, he can't be stupid )
  • edited September 2011
    just ask yourself why would he shove with a 4 or pkt 3's, he can't be stupid )
    Posted by rancid
    exactly why I worked out he was a nutter & called.
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah you have to call, but I can definitely understand you taking a minute to think about it.
  • edited September 2011
    id snap straight away would he go all in with a 4 here no way would he he would trap u or just put a small bet out its a easy call 
  • edited September 2011
    have a think for a little bit but you have to be thinking of reasons to fold. Not thinking of reasons to call. I can't think of a single hand that he could play like that apart from a 3. No way would someone flop trips or a full house and then bet 3K into a 450 pot.

My guess is that he knows that you play tight early on (as you should) and that your early possition raise is either big pocket pair or AK. Agro players like this like to bully people around, especially when they hold low cards and make a pair (bragging rights if they get you to fold a monster - like aces for example).

You have to call but it's never pleasant calling for your tournement life with cards to come in the first few hands. That's probably another reason he did it.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : incorrect. Not if I was genuinely trying to work out the liklihood that he had a 4, or pocket 3's (which I was more scared of tbh). I'd seen him play some low pairs right through a major painted board before, so it did genuinely make me think. the possibility of him having me beat wasn't beyond the possibility of reason, as demonstrated by his call pre-flop. At the end I decided it was unlikely & that he had either and that if I fold to that then I'm never going to be prepared to gamble any hand.
    Posted by PuppetJack
    I accept you didnt deliberately slowroll him. But if I was sat at table with same reads as you and knew you had some idea what you were doing and you tanked for a few minutes before calling with AA, I would think you slowrolled him

Also how he played a low pair on a painted board is pretty irrelevant here. He might show up with 33, 4x an odd time, but I think you can make the decision you speak of in the last line there very quickly and call 
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : I accept you didnt deliberately slowroll him. But if I was sat at table with same reads as you and knew you had some idea what you were doing and you tanked for a few minutes before calling with AA, I would think you slowrolled him Also how he played a low pair on a painted board is pretty irrelevant here. He might show up with 33, 4x an odd time, but I think you can make the decision you speak of in the last line there very quickly and call 
    Posted by grantorino
    +1 you gotta be sitting there wishing for him to shove into you tbh ) I know I would be and snap
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : I accept you didnt deliberately slowroll him. But if I was sat at table with same reads as you and knew you had some idea what you were doing and you tanked for a few minutes before calling with AA, I would think you slowrolled him Also how he played a low pair on a painted board is pretty irrelevant here. He might show up with 33, 4x an odd time, but I think you can make the decision you speak of in the last line there very quickly and call 
    Posted by grantorino
    it is irrelevant simple thing is ya wouldnt go all in if u had a 4 no 1 would u would be trapoping the guy not leading out with a set i woulkd snap within 5 secs i wouldnt even think for a minute obvious he has nothing maybe a up n down draw or a middle pair and hes trying to do the stop n go bet and u fold ak or any a high hands but he was had aa :)
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : it is irrelevant simple thing is ya wouldnt go all in if u had a 4 no 1 would u would be trapoping the guy not leading out with a set i woulkd snap within 5 secs i wouldnt even think for a minute obvious he has nothing maybe a up n down draw or a middle pair and hes trying to do the stop n go bet and u fold ak or any a high hands but he was had aa :)
    Posted by angie6108

It's all very easy to say, people don't go all in when they flop trips or a boat, but it's for that exact reason that people occasionally do shove in these situations depending on your imagine of them. Imagine he does have 33 or 4x here, you think  'well there's no way he has 33 or 4x' so you call and you lose. That's why people get suspicious when people seem to be slowplaying on potentially dangerous boards, you can't possibly say you should play it THIS way or THAT way 100% of the time because you become too predictable.

He mentioned he had a read that he loves to overbet so that's one thing. He's also very aggro which yes means he's playing a wide range but it also means that he will get paid off more when he does hit.
  • edited September 2011
    Such a slowroll, if he has one braincell he wouldnt shove with a 4 or 3's. 

Pfft.
  • edited September 2011
    you are basically slowrolling him here with your reads I snap
    Posted by grantorino
    How is that slow rolling???
    There's a decision to make.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : How is that slow rolling??? There's a decision to make.
    Posted by Rubbernix
    If there is, the decision should be to give up poker
  • edited September 2011
    Such a slowroll, if he has one braincell he wouldnt shove with a 4 or 3's.  Pfft.
    Posted by HYPETING
    Oh - he would, because I don't know if he has any braincells left tbh.

He turns up drunk, stumbles around. and I have seen him shove with monsters at really early stages while deep stacked. He just doesn't understand the concept of extracting value or slow playing, he's just focused on winning a hand at a time - irrespective of his stack or the stage in the tournament.

Hence my think for a second ( & it was less than 30 seconds.) I was just trying to gauge whether the fold was the right move, in the end I figured that he was just scared of playing post flop and was just trying to end it then & there.

And I tell no lie, - I talked to him about it afterwards and stated that the move smelt of fear which is how I worked out he had 'nothing'

His response was that he wasn't really concentrating and that he thought he had 3-4!

I know he was lying to save face as he looked at his cards twice before his shove, ( I deem it unlikely he misread them twice) but that gives you an indication of his playing syle & knowledge of the game.
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : If there is, the decision should be to give up poker
    Posted by grantorino

Great.
  • edited September 2011
    Definition of Slowroll

Slowroll

word type: poker slang

1. To take an inordinate amount of time to call an all-in bet or raise as the last player to act and nobody else besides the all-in player remaining in the hand, all while holding the nuts. It is considered very unsportsmanlike.

In no way were you holding the nuts so it is unfair to accuse you of slowrolling. Take time before making any decision in live poker, you are allowed the time so use it.

Good call

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do? ( hand in a live game) : Oh - he would, because I don't know if he has any braincells left tbh. He turns up drunk, stumbles around. and I have seen him shove with monsters at really early stages while deep stacked. He just doesn't understand the concept of extracting value or slow playing, he's just focused on winning a hand at a time - irrespective of his stack or the stage in the tournament. Hence my think for a second ( & it was less than 30 seconds.) I was just trying to gauge whether the fold was the right move, in the end I figured that he was just scared of playing post flop and was just trying to end it then & there. And I tell no lie, - I talked to him about it afterwards and stated that the move smelt of fear which is how I worked out he had 'nothing' His response was that he wasn't really concentrating and that he thought he had 3-4! I know he was lying to save face as he looked at his cards twice before his shove, ( I deem it unlikely he misread them twice) but that gives you an indication of his playing syle & knowledge of the game. Great.
    Posted by PuppetJack
    My last post was overly harsh, apologies,  I'd delete it only you have quoted it. It wasnt aimed at you fwiw

However your story has changed in last post compared to original one. Tanking for one or two minutes on this decision is a lot imo, but as solarcarro says you are entitled to do so. Personally I dont think you have to have the nuts to be slowrolling, whatever the definition is, but from your reads in op this is a fistpump snapcall and if he has you beat move on and be happy with your decision.

also I think shoving with a 4 here wouldnt be that bad a play live
  • edited September 2011
    Was it a slow roll ? who cares !

anyway

the point here is you should know what you going to do before the flop comes down, if you think one,two or three streets ahead then really there should be less time needed to think about it

• edited September 2011
    Well if you knew all this info on him, why bother posting in the clinic.

You know what everyone will say, not one person would say to fold in this spot.
  • edited September 2011
    Dont really class it as a slowroll.

I think its bad to get into the habit of snap acting.

I'd weigh him up for a short while, just to guage his overall comfort level.  So that when we do call (which I think we mostly always are), if he flips over the luckbox hand, we can look for the same info in future in less clearcut spots.

But stopping to ponder your tournament life on the 2nd hand isnt a bad thing at all IMO