You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weekend footy betting (1st/2nd)

edited October 2011 in Betting Chat

It was a bad midweek for me with hardly any of my selections coming in so hopefully I can get back on track this weekend.

I’ve gone for 3 bets to start with tomorrow & may add a both to score acca in the morning.

Main Acca:

Man City to beat Blackburn (A) @ 4/7

Southampton to beat Watford (H) @ 4/7

Leeds to score 2+ @ 4/6

Port Vale/Rotherham – Both to score @ 8/13

Torquay/Morecambe – Both to score @ 4/6

These 5 pay a very juicy 10/1. I usually restrict my main acca to just 4 picks but this price is far too tempting to ignore.

What a week for City. First Dzeko has a strop when he’s pulled off & then King Carlos (as he will always be in my eyes) refuses to go on. It’s been a week of turmoil for City & I’ve no doubt that is the reason why their price isn’t shorter than this. Even without Tevez in the picture they should still have far too much for a Blackburn side who are struggling. City have won 4 of the last 5 against Rovers including their last two at Ewood Park. Blackburn were awful at Newcastle last weekend & City will go into this game feeling as though they’ve probably got a point to prove after their poor showing in Munich in midweek.

Southampton lost on the road at Cardiff in midweek but they’ve been perfect at St Mary’s. They’ve won all 4 there so far scoring an average of nearly 3 goals per game & it’s not as if they’ve played the “easier” sides in the division either. They’ve had wins against Leeds, Forest & Birmingham so far so this won’t be an easy place for any side to go to this term. Watford are 1 of 6 sides in the division yet to lose on the road this season but they have drawn 3 of their 4 away from Vicarage Road. Their back line has a real challenge on their hands keeping tabs on Lambert & Lallana & I can’t see them coming away from the South Coast with anything other than their first defeat on the road in the league.

If there’s one thing Leeds can do it’s score goals even if they can’t keep them out! Only Middlesbrough have stopped Leeds from scoring this term & they’ve averaged just over 2 per game at Elland Road so far. Pompey roll into town tomorrow & last season the two games between them produced a total of 10 goals in two draws (2-2 at Elland Road & 3-3 at Fratton Park). TBH, I kinda expect Leeds to take the points at home but this looks like a better bet with a better price too.

Port Vale & Rotherham are the two top scoring sides in League 2 so far so this is either gonna finish 5-5 or 0-0. In the 10 league games they’ve each played they’ve scored a combined total of 43 goals & neither are great defensively either conceding a whopping 33 between them! Vale have scored in every game this season & their only clean sheet came at rock bottom Plymouth earlier in the month. Similarly Rotherham have scored & conceded in every game on the road so far.

Torquay are another side who can’t be accused of not giving their fans value for money at Plainmoor this season. They’ve seen a total of 21 goals scored in their 5 league games there this term & the only clean sheet they’ve kept at home came against struggling Macclesfield. Leaders Morecambe make the trip South tomorrow & they’ve averaged 2 goals per game on the road with 10 scored in their 5 aways. With the exception of the League Cup game at Millwall they’ve scored in every game on the road so far.

Long Shot:

Middlesbrough to beat Reading (A) @ 15/8

Hartlepool to beat Sheff Weds (H) @ 11/8

Preston to beat Leyton Orient (A) @ evens

Bristol Rovers to beat Cheltenham (H) @ 10/11

Crewe to beat Dagenham & Redbridge (A) @ 13/5

Oxford to beat Hereford (A) @ evens

These 6 potentially pay a wallet bulging 187/1 so only very small stakes here.

Boro are currently the only unbeaten team in the Championship & they head to Berkshire in confident mood. They’ve won all 4 on the road so far & although it’ll be a very tough game at the Mad Stad they’re more than capable of taking the points. After a poor start Reading are starting to get things together & are unbeaten in 3. They came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in the last 20 minutes at Bristol City on Tuesday & will be looking to win back to back home games for the first time this season. They could well take something from the game but if you’re doing a long shot this weekend then this price on Boro is way too big to ignore.

Hartlepool have a terrible record against Wednesday losing their last 6 meetings in all competitions but there are several reasons I’m backing them here. Firstly, they’ve started the season like a house on fire & are unbeaten in the league so far, winning their last 5 straight. Secondly, Wednesday have been very poor on the road this season. They managed their first win on the road two weeks ago at Yeovil & have conceded 12 in 5 games. Thirdly, this is a massive price for a home win. It could quite easily trip me up but all things considered it’s more than worth the gamble.

I thought Preston would be a shorter price than even money & that’s the main reason I’m including them here. They’ve won 3 & drawn 1 away from Deepdale so far and travel to rock bottom Leyton Orient whose only points this term have come on the road. The O’s have been looking better in recent weeks & got a point at Huddersfield last weekend after being 2-0 down (sorry to bring that up again JJ) but Preston are made of sterner stuff themselves these days as their midweek 4-3 win at Wycombe showed.

Bristol Rovers & Cheltenham haven’t met for a couple of years but Rovers have won the last two at home against the Robins. They’ve under achieved so far & will be hopeful of taking the points against a Cheltenham side who have struggled on their travels so far. I don’t usually include many odds on bets in my long shots but for a home win this seems like a bit of extra value.

To say that Crewe made a poor start to the season would be a bit of an understatement. They lost their opening 4 league games but have started to get it together & have only lost once since the middle of August. They travel to East London tomorrow & face a Dagenham side who have struggled with life back in League 2 so far. They’ve lost 6 of their opening 10 games & have only won once at home. The Daggers come into this game on the back of some shocking form having lost their last 5 straight.

Hereford have the worst home record in the division with just 1 win & 4 defeats at Edgar Street so far, whilst they’ve conceded a whopping 15 goals in those 5 games too with just 2 in reply. Oxford are the visitors tomorrow & they’re on a decent run themselves unbeaten in 4 & winning their last 2 on the road. They won this fixture 2-0 last season & even money is a good price on them repeating that.

To Score in 90 minutes Acca:

Luis Suarez (away at Everton) @ 5/4

Sergio Aguero (away at Blackburn) @ 10/11

Nani (home to Norwich) @ 11/8

Kevin Phillips (home to Bristol City) @ evens

Ross McCormack (home to Portsmouth) @ 5/4

Rickie Lambert (home to Watford) @ 10/11

These 6 potentially return a massive 87/1.

I’ve been thinking about doing a bet like this for a few weeks now so thought I’d try it out with a small stakes 6 way. Depending on how many come in I may extend it a bit in the coming weeks to include trebles, 4 folds & 5 folds.

Good luck if you’re having a go this weekend peeps & remember, win or lose it’s all for fun

Jay

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Was really in 2 minds about having a bet today.

As you know last week I came sooo close to a winner, would only have been 110 quid from a fiver, but still....

I went on to play poker that night and was on tilt from the start despite only losing 5 squid!

I'm playing today/tonight, so don't want the same thing to happen again!!!!

But, I've decided to continue with my "double chance" experiment. Last weeks bet came in @ 21/20, which ironically made me +15 for the day and I still tilted!!!

Not as many easy games to call today, so been abit more ambitious.....

Aston Villa win or draw ........ v Wigan. 
    Wolves win or draw ......... v N'castle
    Swansea win or draw ......... v Stoke
    City win or draw .............. v B'burn 
    S'ton win or draw ............ v Watford
    Leeds win or draw ........... v Pompey
    Leicester win or draw ....... v Derby
    Also added United to beat Norwich.

8 fold pays just under 4/1, so had a tenner.

Good thing about this bet is that barring something wierd happening, I'll prob be in with a chance in the last 10 minutes every week.

GL all.
  • edited October 2011
    here are minefor today villa saints leeds mkdons bristol rovers pays 15 to1 had 3 quid
  • edited October 2011
    Everton v Liverpool DNB
    Sunderland v West Brom
    Both to Score
    Blackpool
    v Bristol City
    Leeds v Pompey
    Sheffield United v Charlton
    Both to Score
    Port Vale v Rotherham
    Both to Score
    Barnet v
    Northampton DNB

Pays ~ 50/1
  • edited October 2011
    Burnley to win @ Millwall (never easy but 12/5 seems the wrong price to me): Millwall lost best player in summer, Chris McCann is back from injury, international (ROI) young midfielder domiator eye for goal too... Austin/Rodrigez as live a strikeforce as almost any in the division. Get on @ that price or even an Asian Handicap job, GL all Sky-forumers punting today, Keenan
  • edited October 2011

all the years ive been backing in derby games this is value cahill 1st goalscorer

• edited October 2011
    Great! 25 minutes in & Aguero has gone off injured. Just when my to score in 90 minutes bet looked like it was going well.

Never mind, will try it again next week with 3/4/5 folds I think.
  • edited October 2011
    No joy today then, thanks largely to Leeds & Rotherham leaving their shooting boots at home.

On to tomorrow's games then & hopefully I've found a tidy little 4 way.

Chelsea to beat Bolton (A) @ 1/2
    QPR or DRAW (away to Fulham) @ 4/5
    Stoke or DRAW (away to Swansea) @ 1/2
    Spurs/Arsenal - Over 2.5 Goals @ 4/6

These 4 pay a tidy 11/2 so a chance to claw some back from today.

It's been 8 years & 16 games in all competitions since Bolton last beat Chelsea home or away. Chelsea have won the last 7 meetings, six of those without conceding & have won on their last 8 visits to the Reebok. Bolton are currently rock bottom of the Prem with their only league win this term coming on the opening day at QPR. They've lost the last 5 since that day & last time out at the Reebok it was newly promoted Norwich who went home with the points. It's fair to say that Chelsea haven't exactly been firing on all cylinders so far but they'll fancy their chances in a game where recent history is on their side. They know they'll need to take the points here if they're to keep in touch of the early season leaders & all things considered, 1/2 is a decent price.
    Since Tony Fernandes took control at Loftus Road Rangers are unbeaten. They made some decent last minute signings in the transfer window & they've settled quickly earning a win & two draws in their last 3 games. Fulham currently find themselves in the bottom 3 with 4 draws & 2 defeats in their opening 6 games this term. Had this game been played before Rangers' last minute signings I would've backed a home win here every day of the week. As it is Fulham played in Denmark on Thursday night so Rangers will be the fresher of the two teams. With their new found resilience I think they're capable of getting a point from their West London neighbours & it's for that reason I've backed them in the double chance market.
    All credit must go to Tony Pulis for the fantastic job he's done at the Britannia over the last few years. When they were promoted to the top flight back in 2008 they were fully expected to drop straight back down with very few points. As it was, not only did they survive but they've since gone from strength to strength & now find themselves playing in European competition this season. They got a fantastic win at home to Besiktas on Thursday night but they've not been great in the games straight after European ties so far this season. Of the 3 games they've played following their European exploits this term they've won 1, drawn 1 & lost 1. Tomorrow they travel to South Wales for a tricky game at new boys Swansea. The Swans will be well up for this game & will be looking for back to back home wins following their 3-0 win against West Brom last time out at the Liberty. Stoke will provide a sterner test than West Brom but the reason I've backed them in the double chance market is because they played on Thursday evening.
    Only once in the last 10 league meetings has a Spurs/Arsenal fixture failed to produce at least 3 goals in the game. That came in a 0-0 draw at White Hart  Lane back in February 2009. The two meetings between them last term produced a total of 11 goals with a 3-2 win for Spurs at the Emirates & a 3-3 draw at the Lane. Both sides certainly know where the net is this term with 18 goals between them in their opening 11 games whilst they can both be vulnerable at the back too. TBH, I very nearly backed the over 3.5 goals @ 13/8 here but went with the 2.5 option as I felt it was a little safer (if there's such a thing in betting!).

Good luck peeps

Jay 
  • edited October 2011
    if was to roll over my banzai Burnley winnings (and gd ole Liverpool @ 10/11 half-time in-runnin) on tomorrow's action it'd have to be Chelsea 1/2 looks an away win all over... tempting
  • edited October 2011
    bristol rovers let me down sob chelski good things tomorrow
  • edited October 2011
    Tranmere let me down yesterday,Today im going FULHAM,SWANSEA,SPURS draws 3x doubles and a treble.Plus ive done 1st goalscorer lucky 15..STURRIDGE,SWP,SINCLAIR,BALE.