You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Suited connectors...

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Are these worth playing if you can see a flop cheap?

For example, at NL4 cash, where there are lot of multi-way limped pots, I generally don't bother limping or betting with smaller suited connectors, but is there value in doing so?

I understand that there may be other considerations, such as opponents' stack sizes which may affect implied odds, but I mean in general. Should I be treating suited connectors in the same way as, say, small pocket pairs? i.e. seeing a flop if the price is right and folding when I miss, or is there just no value in this?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Absolutely!  SC and PP are my favourite hands especially at the lower stakes...

Players will rarely fold top pair type hands at this level and I'll open limp with these hands on passive tables.  With aggressive players on my table its not worth the limp though (you will get raised too regularly).

So basically, imo, look to see a cheap flop and value bet when you hit good or just fold. 

Your long term wins will ecplise any short term losses with these hands, just remember to be careful who you play these hands against
  • edited October 2011
    I think the thinking behind suited connectors is decption. If you make a raise pre-flop it is usually with broadway cards or pocket pairs. The idea being that if you have a tight image and you make a raise with 6h7h in possition and the flop comes 584 rainbow or 627 you opponent might think that you have totally missed the flop. When you c-bet this flop they will think that you most likely have an over pair or a big ace.

At NL4 players pay almost zero attention to the second level of thinking (what does my opponent likely have). This is why you can fold every hand for 4 obits, pick up AK, flop a king and still get three streets of value from someone with K9 :-D

Suited connectors don't connect with that many flops and when they do you don't necessarily have the best hand (unless you hit the top end of the straight).

Once you get into a game where you are leveling with your opponent (what could he have? what does he think I have? What does he think I think he has? etc) Then I don't think it's profitable to play suited connectors. However if you are in the big blind with 7c8c and there has been a raise and two callers then absolutly call to see a flop. Just make sure, as with a small pocket pair, you only pay to see more cards if you have 2 pair or more.

The other problem is that suited connecters are great for hitting straight flush draws. Typically if you hit a massive draw you should be raising players on the flop to make them fold but you have zero fold equity at NL4 so straight flush draws are not as valuable