You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i raise or call here?

Villains notes say 'tight, usually raises with 2xbroadway cards, c-bets'.

Should i always raise the flop for protection. He could very easily have the king here. Its well in his range. If i raise, what am i raising to?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
NorthernJ Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £2.91
ivegotit Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £15.53
  Your hole cards

xRaise  £0.40 £0.52 £13.36
DrSharp Call  £0.40 £0.92 £10.10
NorthernJ Fold     
ivegotit Fold     
Flop

• K

xBet  £0.92 £1.84 £12.44
DrSharp ???

Comments

• edited October 2011

If he is only going to call your raise with the King and better there is not much point raising tbh as you are folding out his bluffs.

If you think he might put you on a fd, and call with things like Ax, qq, jj etc, then yes, raise! I am generally a fan of raising this flop as it suits my style, but it depends how he views you and how fishy he is.

As he c-bets I think a standard line is probably best here and to call the flop with a view to betting/raising the turn.

• edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    raise j/10 sooted etc is in his range ,My motto is wen in front take it down..
  • edited October 2011
    call and let him bet out again on turn then raise
  • edited October 2011
    100% raise for me, you have the nuts (forget KK lol) so want to build the pot BIG asap and a raise here does that, also he has POT BET that is VERY strong imo (also after 5x raising pre, which is BIG at NL8) and means he probably ain't folding very often which is great.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Should i raise or call here?:
    100% raise for me, you have the nuts (forget KK lol) so want to build the pot BIG asap and a raise here does that, also he has POT BET that is VERY strong imo (also after 5x raising pre, which is BIG at NL8) and means he probably ain't folding very often which is great.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Thats what i thought pretty much exactly mate. How much you making it?
  • edited October 2011
    Bout £2.50-3.00 should do.
  • edited October 2011
    It's a good situation to raise as we have a big hand, and we want a big pot.

It's a good board to raise as a bluff.

It's a good board to raise as a semi-bluff.

It's a good board to raise because there are turn cards that will kill the action.

It's a good time to raise as we are 150xbb deep at the start of the hand.

It's a good idea to raise as it's the opposite of what Greghogg would do. 
  • edited October 2011
    how often he barrells air and how lightly he continues to raises are important info here

My default is to raise flop, and I would need a good reason to call rather than raise flop
  • edited October 2011
    Raise. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1 no reason to flat
    100% value spot
  • edited October 2011
    It's a good situation to raise as we have a big hand, and we want a big pot. It's a good board to raise as a bluff. It's a good board to raise as a semi-bluff. It's a good board to raise because there are turn cards that will kill the action. It's a good time to raise as we are 150xbb deep at the start of the hand. It's a good idea to raise as it's the opposite of what Greghogg would do. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    wrong, if you read my post properly, you would see that I personally raise it playing as greghogg, because this is my style. A flat would look wrong for me on this board.

I was questioning the villain and the OP's images because sometimes flatting might be better.... like if the villain double barrels lots

• edited October 2011
    do you ever reraise this board with air?

i dont get the impression anyone at these stakes is reraising with air here

flat
  • edited October 2011
    Here's the rest of the hand. My re-raise was too big. Should it basically be 3x what he bet?

I now know after playing on after this hand that my opponent must have folded a big hand as his c-bets didnt seem to be ever a pot size bet. I think he could have folded a pair of kings here, maybe K,J or something along those lines. Anyway, thanks for the input, i'll leave DOHHHHHHH and GREGHOGG to argue this out..................
    NorthernJ Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £2.91
    ivegotit Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £15.53
      Your hole cards

xRaise  £0.40 £0.52 £13.36
    DrSharp Call  £0.40 £0.92 £10.10
    NorthernJ Fold     
    ivegotit Fold     
    Flop

• K

xBet  £0.92 £1.84 £12.44
    DrSharp Raise  £3.36 £5.20 £6.74
    xFold     
    DrSharp Muck     
    DrSharp Win  £2.55  £9.29
    DrSharp Return  £2.44
  • edited October 2011
    do you ever reraise this board with air? i dont get the impression anyone at these stakes is reraising with air here flat
    Posted by huuuuume
    Yes, well sort of.......................
    DrSharp Small blind £0.04 £0.04 £11.61
    xBig blind  £0.08 £0.12 £3.00
    zBig blind  £0.08 £0.20 £3.12
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

yRaise  £0.16 £0.36 £15.37
    zCall  £0.08 £0.44 £3.04
    DrSharp Call  £0.12 £0.56 £11.49
    xCall  £0.08 £0.64 £2.92
    Flop

• J

DrSharp Check     
    xCheck     
    yBet  £0.50 £1.14 £14.87
    zFold     
    DrSharp Raise  £1.44 £2.58 £10.05
    xFold     
    yFold     
    DrSharp Muck     
    DrSharp Win  £1.51  £11.56
    DrSharp Return  £0.94
    But i dont know if they know that i do this sometimes.
  • edited October 2011
    That's a pretty crazy play at NL8, I assume you have some solid reads ?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Should i raise or call here? : wrong, if you read my post properly, you would see that I personally raise it playing as greghogg, because this is my style. A flat would look wrong for me on this board. I was questioning the villain and the OP's images because sometimes flatting might be better.... like if the villain double barrels lots
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Flat then O.P
  • edited October 2011
    if the King of spades in on the flop its defo a better spot to flat.

no1 bluffs this board, when pople raise air it's always semib-bluffs, and you have way less semi-bluffs if you're 150bb's deep cos most of your FD's will flat, only the NFD/Ks*s and (maybe)34/35/45 spades will raise here this deep imo.

100bigs defo raise, 150 might lean to a flat imo
  • edited October 2011
    I think when deciding to call or raise flop the fact many people continue lighter to flop raises than turn raises is also a factor

Also we are something like 130BB deep not 150 and Dr sharp yes that raise is too big
  • edited October 2011
    Raising to 2.50 total on that board with those reads.  Pretty much regardless of what my cards are.