You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet flop or check behind?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
No real reads on villain here although I am conscious that I've been raising quite a bit so he may think I'm at it. There had been a couple of times earlier in the session that he'd 3 bet me off the pot pre too so there is a chance he could be doing that again (I never got to see what he had on those occasions though).

When he checks the flop am I OK to bet out here or should I check behind for a bit of pot control? Also, if you do bet how much do you make it?

My thoughts at the time were if I bet then I can try & take control of the hand & might even take it down here & now but I was also aware that I was leaving myself open to a check/raise which put me in two minds as I could've taken a free card.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.78
 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £11.42
 Your hole cards

Fold     
 Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £13.66
Fold     
 XRaise  £0.84 £1.20 £7.94
 Fold     
silentbob Call  £0.64 £1.84 £13.02
Flop

Check     
silentbob ???    

Comments

• edited October 2011
    so u bet and got check raised?

i prob check behind i like free cards :D
  • edited October 2011
    What positions has he 3bet from? I'd consider 4b/c. If you call pre you need a clear plan for what you are doing postflop. As played I check back
  • edited October 2011
    gt - He's always 3b me OOP as I've only raised OOP with hands I'm fully committed to going to war with.

You say 4b/c but surely you lose more cash/chips doing that in the long run, don't you or am I being too blinkered?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet flop or check behind?:
    gt - He's always 3b me OOP as I've only raised OOP with hands I'm fully committed to going to war with. You say 4b/c but surely you lose more cash/chips doing that in the long run, don't you or am I being too blinkered?
    Posted by silentbob
    I said I'd consider 4bet/call. Obv we are not delighted if he shoves, but I think its prob too strong to 4b/f. It depends though and maybe your reads are not strong enough for this. Folding />calling 3bet imo unless you have a clear plan for the huge amount of times you dont like flop and face a cbet and possibly a second barrell if you flat flop
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Bet flop or check behind?:
    In Response to Re: Bet flop or check behind? : I said I'd consider 4bet/call. Obv we are not delighted if he shoves, but I think its prob too strong to 4b/f. It depends though and maybe your reads are not strong enough for this. Folding />calling 3bet imo unless you have a clear plan for the huge amount of times you dont like flop and face a cbet and possibly a second barrell if you flat flop
    Posted by grantorino
    My bad, I worded my reply wrong. 

My original plan was just to fold any flop that didn't contain an 8 but that was also largely down to the fact that I was fully expecting him to c-bet & when he didn't I thought that maybe he had overs & didn't fancy it.

You're right though, I really need to have a full plan & I think that's a definite leak for me to plug. 
  • edited October 2011
    given its a reasonable possibility he may be 3betting light I dont think we can call just to setmine