You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do the short stack rules change when everyone is short stacked?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I've been reading Vicky Coren's recent string of articles in the Guardian about stack sizes in MTTs and how they should affect your decisions almost as much as cards and they are great. But what if you are playing a 8 player sit and go like the live game I play each week where after about 1.5hrs everyone is still in and the average stack is 20 big blinds?

The fold equity is so high when I shove 10BBs with a standard 10BB shoving range (A8s+ ATo+ 77+ K9+ QJ) against a table full of 15-10BB stacks that I'm only getting called by hands that have me totally dominated.

Last night I had QTo on the button with 14BBs and it was folded around to me. I raised to 2.5x and a loose player with about 35BBs in the big blind shoved. I called because I didn't like to spend 20% of my chips to then fold just because the big blind shipped on me. I insta-called (because I'd already made up my mind before making the raise and he showed A4s. Is this fair enough or should I be adjusting to the table and the fact that I had only 6bbs behind the average stack?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    In Response to How do the short stack rules change when everyone is short stacked?:
    I've been reading Vicky Coren's recent string of articles in the Guardian about stack sizes in MTTs and how they should affect your decisions almost as much as cards and they are great. But what if you are playing a 8 player sit and go like the live game I play each week where after about 1.5hrs everyone is still in and the average stack is 20 big blinds? The fold equity is so high when I shove 10BBs with a standard 10BB shoving range (A8s+ ATo+ 77+ K9+ QJ) against a table full of 15-10BB stacks that I'm only getting called by hands that have me totally dominated. Last night I had QTo on the button with 14BBs and it was folded around to me. I raised to 2.5x and a loose player with about 35BBs in the big blind shoved. I called because I didn't like to spend 20% of my chips to then fold just because the big blind shipped on me. I insta-called (because I'd already made up my mind before making the raise and he showed A4s. Is this fair enough or should I be adjusting to the table and the fact that I had only 6bbs behind the average stack?
    Posted by jugglegeek
    If your going to insta call a push, your better off just pushing yourself!
  • edited October 2011

What your describing sounds like a 18-24 man SNG.

So you hit 8 seater FT and everyones got between 10-40 BB.

These kinda structures you can blind down to 7-8 BB before you start to fold or shove. If you have like 20 bigs then imo your just looking for a hand to double up with. I am only going on my experience with pub poker leagues and the SNG’s within. You need to employ a SNG strategy rarther than an MTT one as the structure is a lot quicker and ends in 3 hours. I finks you want to double through to get a nice stack so when the blinds go up quickly you can bully the shorties and take a couple of flips with minimum risk. 

• edited October 2011
    i actually go pretty aggro in these. Im often setting people in with a wide range. Although id rather be setting in than calling off. I cant give an exact range as i would need reads to be able to do so. However id just treat it as a Final table of a mtt.