You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10's facing limp raise

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Notes say they're pretty awful, call 3x raise pre w/A6, c/c flop turn and river wiv top pair aces.

This has to be a monster right ?
nessab Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £7.95
Dudeskin8 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £17.27
  Your hole cards

x Call   £0.10 £0.25 £9.39
1-on-u Fold        
Robbo67 Fold        
flo202 Fold        
nessab Call   £0.05 £0.30 £7.90
Dudeskin8 Raise   £0.30 £0.60 £16.97
x Raise   £1.50 £2.10 £7.89
nessab Fold        
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I think you're probably right & it should be a fold however if I'm honest it depends how I'm playing at the time.

If I feel I'm at the top of my game I can fold here but if I'm in my tard zone I call & set mine. I think one of my biggest problems sometimes is when I check my notes I don't give credit to (what I perceive to be) bad players actually having a hand & find out the hard way.
  • edited October 2011
    Raise more initially, fold now.

Our odds + position + poor implied odds + the times we can't fold on 258r make it a bad spot to set mine.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: 10's facing limp raise:
    I think you're probably right & it should be a fold however if I'm honest it depends how I'm playing at the time. If I feel I'm at the top of my game I can fold here but if I'm in my tard zone I call & set mine. I think one of my biggest problems sometimes is when I check my notes I don't give credit to (what I perceive to be) bad players actually having a hand & find out the hard way.
    Posted by silentbob
    stack sizes mean a set mine ios very bad. imo we gta jam or fold and jamming im just not comfortable with
  • edited October 2011
    Raise more initially, fold now. Our odds + position + poor implied odds + the times we can't fold on 258r make it a bad spot to set mine.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I totally understand what you've said but out of interest how deep would X need to be then to set mine here? He's got 94bb in his stack. Also, if we had position on this hand could you still call to set mine with his stack?
  • edited October 2011

I don't know exactly, but I'll have a go and sum1 can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's another 1.20 to see a flop.

We hit a set once every 7.5 times...

So to profitably setmine for the price we're getting, we need to win more than 7,5x 1.20, which issss....about 9 quid.

His stack is 7.90, and there's 2 quid in the middle already, so we stand to win a tenner.....

So if we assume that we get all his stack in the middle (and win) every single time we flop a set, it will show a v slight profit on the play.

But sometimes he wont stack off when we hit a set, sometimes he will flop a higher set/draws that get there, etc etc. 

If you know 100% that he is putting all his stack in post flop, I guess it's just about a break even set-mining spot.

Wait for confirmation that all the above is right tho coz I struggle with the maths side of poker!

----

edit, i'd wanna be like 140/150 xbb deep......but not sure if that's right, I'm just guessing and going off personal experience.

With the stacks as they are I'm not sure position makes that much difference here as it should be easy enough to get it in with the pot/stack ratio.

But position helps if his range of hands is wider than QQ/KK/AA as sometimes we can win without hitting a set.
  • edited October 2011
    Cheers JJ. Looking at that then we probably need him to have somewhere near 150bb to make it a call then (I'm rubbish with the maths too!)
  • edited October 2011
    I think you would very nearly have the odds to setmine against this guy, hes rarely going to fold any board. You would need to strictly setmine though and fold ANY board without a T. However for reasons dohhhh gave I think its a fold
  • edited October 2011
    When set mining I use the rule that if the opponent has 10x the price to call the 3-bet then I will call and fold any flop where I don't hit.

Sets are good for stacking someone off at this level. It takes a good player to fold AK if they hit their TPTK on a dry flop because they suspect the opponent has a set. You won't find many who will.
  • edited October 2011
    When set mining I use the rule that if the opponent has 10x the price to call the 3-bet then I will call and fold any flop where I don't hit.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    I agree. I think the 'textbook' way to play is that the opponent should have at least 10x the calling price, i.e. this is the borderline case. Even with 10x, if you don't think you'll get him all-in then it's a fold.

Anything from 10x to 20x is a judgement call, depending on the player.

If the opponent has more than 20x the calling price it's a definite call.

So in this case I would definitely fold.

Just to be pedantic DOHHH, I believe the odds of hitting are set are not once every 7.5, they are 7.5 to 1 (i.e. 1 in 8.5 or about 11%).