You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice on this hand, please.

That's pretty nasty.
Personally, i would stick the lot in pre-flop.
I'm guessing judging by the calls (and the time of the hand) that you were playing a very loose table and had probably already identified this.
Therefore, the raise, 3-bet and all-in 4-bet pre-flop don't mean as much as they might on a more solid table.
There is plenty in the pot and it is worth clearing the field pre-flop and going HU against the all-in.
If someone has got AA then that's just bad luck on your part.

To give you some idea of percentages, if you end up HU against QQ (which the all-in player might have for example) you are a little better than 80% favourite to win the hand. If you play it 4-way against QQ,  AdTd and 75o you are about 42% favourite to take it down.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush is a hackneyed phrase but it has some merit in situations like this. Judging by your stack you had been doing nicely already and there's no need to get greedy here. I would imagine that plenty more opportunities would present themselves.

On your second question, it would be wrong to speculate on their play and it is generally considered bad practice to leave the player's name in the hand history when posting.
Some people choose to replace the players names with terms like "Hero" (yourself, obviously!) and "Villain". Others will use nomenclature to indicate table position e.g UTG (under the gun), BTN (button), SB, BB, CO (cut-off) and HJ (hi-jack) etc.

With regard to your play on flop, turn and river, you could (and should) bet the flop but I'm pretty certain that you're going to double-up the player with the FH anyway. If you bet enough that you are pot committed (and there is no sensible bet where you wouldn't be either all-in or pot committed) then you will be put all-in on the flop. Even if you bet less then the FH is probably just going to call you and you are no wiser and out of position and it would be very difficult to not lose any further cash.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I very rarely play cash games.  I mainly play SnGs and some MTTs, but thought I'd give a cash table a go.  I guess my biggest mistake here was not re-raising pre-flop.  Should I have tried to isolate the All-in rather than be greedy and try to get other players to come along?  What do you think to the call by Seat 2 and Seat 3 pre-flop?

Should I have done anything differently post-flop?  Was my call on the river just plain stupid?

Hand History #200441572 (02:09 24/10/2009)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    SBSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £2.14
    BeastieBoy Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £34.04
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Seat 1Fold     
    Seat 2Raise  £0.40 £0.55 £18.80
    Seat 3 Raise  £1.30 £1.85 £22.89
    SBAll-in  £2.14 £3.99 £0.00
    BeastieBoy Call  £2.09 £6.08 £31.95
    Seat 2 Call  £1.79 £7.87 £17.01
    Seat 3 Call  £0.89 £8.76 £22.00
    Flop

BeastieBoy Check     
    Seat 2Check     
    Seat 3 Check     
    Turn

• J

BeastieBoy Bet  £4.38 £13.14 £27.57
    Seat 2 Call  £4.38 £17.52 £12.63
    Seat 3 Fold     
    River

BeastieBoy Check     
    Seat 2 Bet  £8.76 £26.28 £3.87
    BeastieBoy Call  £8.76 £35.04 £18.81
    Seat 2 Show

SB Show
    • J

BeastieBoy Show
    • K
    • K

Seat 2 Win Full House, 7s and 5s £33.29  £37.
    Thanks.
  • edited October 2009
    yep--no doubt in my mind--you have to thin the field here--there was quite a nice pot already, so bet to isolate is yer only man I'd say---maybe one more opponent is ok, so how about 15 quid here, preflop?--the flat call is just too risky with kk
  • edited October 2009
    I agree with oynutter.
    You cannot be greedy once a player has gone all in pre-flop.
    You must isolate the player with a big re-raise to get rid of the chancers.
  • edited October 2009
    yes defo isolate the player, not sure why you would want more players getting involved, if ace comes on flop your in big trouble
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the advice so far.  As I thought about it more last night it became more and more obvious that I should've raised it up to isolate the all-in.  I was also a bit worried that some may see this post as a thinly veiled bad beat story, which is not my intention.

I was also unaware of the etiquette of not posting the names of the other players.  Apologies for this.  I've changed the names on my original post to protect the innocent.

Thanks again.
  • edited October 2009

Your always gonna lose this hand against seat 2 because he's a nutter. But i bet you got up to your £34 with a lot of help from him. I also bet he lost most of it soon after. Lets play the pre flop as seen by seat 2 and find me any player on earth who would call this and not fold. UTG folds, seat 2 has 5-7 off suit and puts 4 times big blind 40p hoping to steal the blinds. He gets a re raise of £1.30, then an all in of £2.14 and then a call from you. Thats 4 players and you have 5-7 off suit lol, how can you make that call lol. Once the flop came it was always gonna be game over.

• edited October 2009
    hi  m8     u  got  the  second  best  starting    u  should  put  a  big   raise   no matter  what your  postion  is  get  the  weak  hands  out  of  the  way   if  u  get  called  someone  strong  hand   dont  want to  see an  ace  on  the  flop  if  u do  play  it  carefully
  • edited October 2009
    I AGREE WITH NUTTER IN CASH  PEOPLE WILL CALL WITH JUNK  INTO A BIG POT ON THE OFF CHANCE OF FLUKING SOMETHING AND PICKING UP A NICE PILE OF CASH WITH KK IM ONLY WANTING 1 CALL THE MORE IN THE POT THE MORE CHANCE YOUR GOING TO GET A NASTY BEAT