You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK TPTK deep multiway NL8 line check

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Ok feel like my sizing is a little off here.

reads. BB is a fish unlikley to fold any pair. The other guy is a little harder to say, would like more hands with him before i say for sure. Although in the previous hand i also had AK and raise he 3-bet i 4-bet he folded. So is potentially a decent player
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
philc8502 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £2.74
 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.44
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

Paddy_Luck Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.32 £0.44 £14.95
LethalBlow Fold     
Call  £0.32 £0.76 £22.24
philc8502 Fold     
 Call  £0.24 £1.00 £8.20
Flop

• J
  • K

Bet  £0.24 £1.24 £7.96
The_Don90 Raise  £1.72 £2.96 £13.23
 Call  £1.72 £4.68 £20.52
 Call  £1.48 £6.16 £6.48
Turn

Check     
The_Don90 Bet  £6.16 £12.32 £7.07
 Fold     
 Fold     
The_Don90 Muck     
The_Don90 Win  £5.69  £12.76
The_Don90 Return  £6.16 £0.47 £18.92

Comments

• edited October 2011
    what's up with this?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AK TPTK deep multiway NL8 line check:
    what's up with this?
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    its a line check, looking at bet sizing etc.
  • edited October 2011
    good bet size pre flop, good bet size on the flop and good bet size on the turn in my opinion.
  • edited October 2011
    I'd bet turn smaller (not sure I bet it 100%), whats your plan if he calls/raises turn?
  • edited October 2011
    Yh smaller on turn but it's tricky to bet/fold as pot is massive at thi stage, witht hat bet though you're surely commited ?

Also can you assign each player a letter and leave in the button sign as I get confused easily lol
  • edited October 2011
    Very strong bettin and played well , i am taking it you was prepared to go all of the way here so as played it seems fine , dont forget sumtimes though you may get reraised on flop or turn vs 2 pairs or a set , if that happened was you still prepared to get all of it in the middle ??
  • edited October 2011
    I bet turn less, 4 quid.

Dont mind the size too much if your up against a calling station, so it could be ok.
  • edited October 2011
    id just shove turn £8 eff stacks and a £6 pot
  • edited October 2011
    id just shove turn £8 eff stacks and a £6 pot
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    lol i still have 2x pot going into the turn and the guy to act behind has me covered. thats why i wanted the line check. the other guy im pretty positive is calling. and my bet was to set him in.
  • edited October 2011

I think turn bet was far too large. You have to ask yourself why you're betting.

First off, it's not a very draw heavy board - J K 8 6, relatively low risk of a flush draw being pursued. Therefore, assuming you have the best hand with TPTK, you are betting for value, rather than protection. You want to get paid off for having what you are fairly confident is the best hand.

Therefore, you aren't pursuing a draw, or protecting a hand so you want to bet an amount that would keep someone with, say, K 10, or K x that isn't a 2 pair hand (if it was 2 pair you'll be snapped off no matter what you bet here) interested and to get value for the best hand.

Secondly, you only have top pair - if he had a set or 2 pair (ie better) you get called, if he has a hand weaker than you he won't call such a large bet, so you are in the situation where you're either way ahead or way behind effectively. Somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 pot size bet would have been better in my opinion.

We have concluded he probably isn't drawing so we don't have to worry about him getting odds with a 1/2 pot bet. If you priced turn bet correctly and river came a brick you probably could have extracted another 4 quid from the hand minimum.

• edited October 2011
    Yhsmaller on turn but it's tricky to bet/fold as pot is massive at thi stage, witht hat bet though you're surely commited ? Also can you assign each player a letter and leave in the button sign as I get confused easily lol
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Carl

Totally irrelevant, but meaning to ask for a while. What's Yh?

Cheers
    Mac
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AK TPTK deep multiway NL8 line check : Carl Totally irrelevant, but meaning to ask for a while. What's Yh? Cheers Mac
    Posted by Macacan
    Yeah....
  • edited October 2011
    I think turn bet was far too large. You have to ask yourself why you're betting. First off, it's not a very draw heavy board - J K 8 6, relatively low risk of a flush draw being pursued. Therefore, assuming you have the best hand with TPTK, you are betting for value, rather than protection. You want to get paid off for having what you are fairly confident is the best hand. Therefore, you aren't pursuing a draw, or protecting a hand so you want to bet an amount that would keep someone with, say, K 10, or K x that isn't a 2 pair hand (if it was 2 pair you'll be snapped off no matter what you bet here) interested and to get value for the best hand. Secondly, you only have top pair - if he had a set or 2 pair (ie better) you get called, if he has a hand weaker than you he won't call such a large bet, so you are in the situation where you're either way ahead or way behind effectively. Somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 pot size bet would have been better in my opinion. We have concluded he probably isn't drawing so we don't have to worry about him getting odds with a 1/2 pot bet. If you priced turn bet correctly and river came a brick you probably could have extracted another 4 quid from the hand minimum.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    very good points made , nice post
  • edited October 2011
    I think turn bet was far too large. You have to ask yourself why you're betting. First off, it's not a very draw heavy board - J K 8 6, relatively low risk of a flush draw being pursued. Therefore, assuming you have the best hand with TPTK, you are betting for value, rather than protection. You want to get paid off for having what you are fairly confident is the best hand. Therefore, you aren't pursuing a draw, or protecting a hand so you want to bet an amount that would keep someone with, say, K 10, or K x that isn't a 2 pair hand (if it was 2 pair you'll be snapped off no matter what you bet here) interested and to get value for the best hand. Secondly, you only have top pair - if he had a set or 2 pair (ie better) you get called, if he has a hand weaker than you he won't call such a large bet, so you are in the situation where you're either way ahead or way behind effectively. Somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 pot size bet would have been better in my opinion. We have concluded he probably isn't drawing so we don't have to worry about him getting odds with a 1/2 pot bet. If you priced turn bet correctly and river came a brick you probably could have extracted another 4 quid from the hand minimum.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    Theres 2 str8 draws out there (9T and QT) and a spade flush draw out there. Theres a fairly decent chance that at least one of these players has one of these draws.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AK TPTK deep multiway NL8 line check : Theres 2 str8 draws out there (9T and QT) and a spade flush draw out there. Theres a fairly decent chance that at least one of these players has one of these draws.
    Posted by splashies
    If he has the straight or flush draw, you still want to get value from the best hand but price him out of getting good odds. If the river throws up a brick, make another value bet on the river, if the straight or flush draw comes in, you have position.
  • edited October 2011
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    Ronnie, out of curiousity. I do agree with some points youve made. Howver these lines i completely disagree with. 97 9T QT all drawing, Spades drawing, AQ might even be around for the gutshot with over.

Why would we bet soo small allowing these hands to bink on us with the correct odds, Now i know its my post so i maybe should be replying but really dont we want draws calling against the odds, making our played +EV. Now i do agree maybe £4 is enough to do on the turn rather than the £6 i bet.
  • edited October 2011
    I can see why you bet so much on the turn - you are in a muli-way pot with 190BBs against someone who has you covered so you want to shutdown the pot. But you are only beat at this stage by about 4-5 hands (KJ, 88, JJ, 66 and maybe J8) not likely they have AA or KK and no draw got there on the turn.

It's a draw heavy flop so you are right to raise to charge people to hit their draws. But once the turn blanks then their odds of hitting that straight/flush half. You only have to bet about 2/3 of the pot to price the opponents out, they will fold a draw to a 2/3 bet. But you want to get called and you want to get your opponent to try and bluff the river. You take away both of these opptions by potting it on the turn and the only hands that can profitably call this bet are hands that are beating you
  • edited October 2011
    Weird thread, I bet £5 on turn
  • edited October 2011
    misreading stacksizes ftl... ~£4
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: AK TPTK deep multiway NL8 line check : Ronnie, out of curiousity. I do agree with some points youve made. Howver these lines i completely disagree with. 97 9T QT all drawing, Spades drawing, AQ might even be around for the gutshot with over. Why would we bet soo small allowing these hands to bink on us with the correct odds, Now i know its my post so i maybe should be replying but really dont we want draws calling against the odds, making our played +EV. Now i do agree maybe £4 is enough to do on the turn rather than the £6 i bet.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Junglegeek effectively laid out the points in more clarity, but you have to ask why you're betting what you are betting.

If you are betting for value, you assume you have the best hand and you want to bet an amount that makes drawing hands unprofitable to call in the long run. Sure, you might get outdrawn now and then, but the point is to make +ev and profitable plays over time. You can't deduce that because you get outdrawn once your strategy is flawed.

If he has 2 pair or a set (ie a better hand) you will get called no matter what you bet, so betting the pot is just building the pot for him and edging you closer to losing your stack on the river with just TPTK because of the effective stacks.

You aren't bluffing, so no need to overbet and take the pot there and then. Over time, it is a -ev play to bet so large on turn as you miss at least one round of value bets from drawing hands and, if he does have a hand like 2 pair or a set, you have overplayed and overvalued the strength of your hand and become close to pot committed by the time the river comes.