You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 top set on flushed flop

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceeggeadSmall blind £0.02£0.02£3.18poshstrikeSitout    raggy94Big blind £0.04£0.06£5.75 Your hole cardsAA   ameliorateRaise £0.12£0.18£3.53spriggzCall £0.12£0.30£2.32eggeadCall £0.10£0.40£3.08raggy94Fold    Flop  10A6   eggeadCheck    ameliorateBet £0.20£0.60£3.33spriggzCall £0.20£0.80£2.12eggeadRaise £1.20£2.00£1.88

My instincts are screaming fold. Otherwise i'm pretty much readless here, I made the wrong decision in the end, but I've had a very bad night and variance has not been my friend.  All thought welcome

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I call easy here to try to fill up , if indeed i am behind

I take it ya lost BUT ya cant fold top set here imo

PS ya also might wanna look at ure pretty weak raise pre at this level , make it 32p or so
  • edited October 2011
    Hi

A 32p raise = an 8*BB raise. Seems a bit much even for me esp. as open raiser with AA. I figured BB either was drawing with a spade or already had flush so fold/shove was only option imo (not saying which I did).  Usually i would shove without a thought but I don't have the nuts(or anything like it), especially at this level.  I'm just strruggling to put together some consistent results despite some confidence in my abilities and, as I already said, everyones thoughts on this hand will be welcomed
  • edited October 2011
    Dont ever fold, easy shove imo. You have about 30% equity v a flush and you are well ahead of other possible hands. He can easily have sets, two pair pair + draws, bare draw
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 top set on flushed flop:
    Hi A 32p raise = an 8*BB raise. Seems a bit much even for me esp. as open raiser with AA. I figured BB either was drawing with a spade or already had flush so fold/shove was only option imo (not saying which I did).  Usually i would shove without a thought but I don't have the nuts(or anything like it), especially at this level.  I'm just strruggling to put together some consistent results despite some confidence in my abilities and, as I already said, everyones thoughts on this hand will be welcomed
    Posted by ameliorate
    You do!!

easy shove.

• edited October 2011
    Folding here would be VERY bad at NL4, heck it would be bad at most levels lol.
  • edited October 2011
    I call easy here to try to fill up , if indeed i am behind I take it ya lost BUT ya cant fold top set here imo PS ya also might wanna look at ure pretty weak raise pre at this level , make it 32p or so
    Posted by debdobs_67
    You raise 3x utg with AA at nl4 , did ya want the WHOLE table to come along ?? 3x 4x raise is standard when you get to nl20/30/50/100 etc , dont do it here as there are plenty of fish and they WILL still call a 28p/32p raise at this level , but prob maybe only 1 or 2 players will be in the pot this way.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 top set on flushed flop : You raise 3x utg with AA at nl4 , did ya want the WHOLE table to come along ?? 3x 4x raise is standard when you get to nl20/30/50/100 etc , dont do it here as there are plenty of fish and they WILL still call a 28p/32p raise at this level , but prob maybe only 1 or 2 players will be in the pot this way.
    Posted by debdobs_67
    maybe, and this is just a guess, he actually wants worse hands to call
  • edited October 2011
    I think pre flop should be 20p/24p or so to go. They wont notice, trust me, i have been at this level and beaten it, so has debdobs and dudeskin. (Apologies if i missed anyone else out). Maybe 32p is too much when opening the betting but it does get called quite often so i can see why debs is saying that. If someone limps before then i am defo making it 30-40p to go. As DOHHHHHHH once said, just bash the raise button until its a big number!

As for flop play, shove! However, i dont mind the call as long as we are shoving a non spade turn. If they have it, they have it.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 top set on flushed flop : maybe, and this is just a guess, he actually wants worse hands to call
    Posted by grantorino
    Defo but NOT 4 or 5 to call surely ?? dunno gran if youve ever played nl4 , its where i started out and played for months and the lesson is defo dont want that many callers hence why i said make the utg raise bigger than 3x at this level , he will still get called most of the time but maybe by only 1 or 2 players
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 top set on flushed flop : Defo but NOT 4 or 5 to call surely ?? dunno gran if youve ever played nl4 , its where i started out and played for months and the lesson is defo dont want that many callers hence why i said make the utg raise bigger than 3x at this level , he will still get called most of the time but maybe by only 1 or 2 players
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Dont want to hijack thread completely, but these guys will only fold complete junk anyway and arent savvy enough to fold a pair after calling pre for "value" so Im not so sure I want them to fold. Raising more pre may be better and certainly should reduce variance but I think there are a lot of factors to consider in that decision
  • edited October 2011
    pre - 3x is too low - 4x or higher
    your not raising for players to fold, you raising to inflate flop pot.

get it in in the flop, what more do you want than set A's - you may bink a boat anyway
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for the info guys, always good to know I played OK despite the outcome
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    eggead Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.18
    poshstrike Sitout     
    raggy94 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.75
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

ameliorate Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.53
    spriggz Call  £0.12 £0.30 £2.32
    eggead Call  £0.10 £0.40 £3.08
    raggy94 Fold     
    Flop