You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was it bad play???

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
15p/30p cash
Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance
goodfell28 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £31.22
DN34689 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £33.43
  Your hole cards

Kd 8d

richtea Fold     
CHEWIN Raise  £0.60 £1.05 £35.96
HAVA72 Fold     
goodfell28 Raise  £1.35 £2.40 £29.87
DN34689 Fold     
CHEWIN Call  £0.90 £3.30 £35.06
Flop

Jd  7s  Jh

goodfell28 Bet  £1.65 £4.95 £28.22
CHEWIN Call  £1.65 £6.60 £33.41
Turn

3d 

goodfell28 Bet  £3.75 £10.35 £24.47
CHEWIN Call  £3.75 £14.10 £29.66
River

8c

goodfell28 Check     
CHEWIN Check     
goodfell28 Show

Ah 10s

CHEWIN Show

Kd 8d

CHEWIN Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 8s £13.39       

£43.05

My opponent was unhappy the way this hand was played out.....was it really BAD play from me like he said it was??
I min raise in middle position with K9 of diamonds, he re-raises on the small blind, i think he is trying to bully me out of my original raise but with everyone else folded and me having position over him i call. When the flop comes down Jd 7s Jh he bets out, i haven't hit but i don't think he has either and he is just C betting the flop so i flat call. Turn is 3d which now gives me 15 outs to make my hand! Any 1 of 9 diamonds, 3 kings and 3  8's. He bets out £3.75 making the pot £10.35. I'm getting nearly3/1 for my money, with 15 outs, which is why i called. The river comes 8c giving me 2pairs....he checks so i just check behind him, winning the pot. Was it bad play?????
Prev

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Dont listen to any comments in the chatbox , eezzz game then
  • edited October 2011
    You played it very well given your reads on him. If you folded every hand that missed the flop to a C-bet you be leaking money and easy to steamroll off pots. The turn brought you more outs and you were priced in to call with a well disguised hand (back door flush - and therefore great implied odds). The river brought a relative brick unless someone was chasing a gut shot.

You had a hand that was only of medium strength - top 2 pairs on the board with a K kicker. Not strong enough to value bet, no need to bluff, but certainly good enough to take to showdown so checking back was the perfect decision for such a hand.

If he's making half pot bets with no hand and he gets rivered he has only himself to blame. If you're going to fire two bullets as a bluff to get someone off their hand, 3/4 pot would be stronger. He could have slowed down and checked turn as you had called flop bet. Having then, apparently, not shown much strength throughout the hand with his bets, he didn't bet river so he reaped the consequences for his previous bad decisions.
  • edited October 2011

What are you basing your reads on? 

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Was it bad play???:
    What are you basing your reads on? 
    Posted by grantorino
    Assuming if he said 3 bet PF was bullying it was a pattern of play? Good point though, be interesting to know why you had suspicions.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Was it bad play???:
    In Response to Re: Was it bad play??? : Assuming if he said 3 bet PF was bullying it was a pattern of play? Good point though, be interesting to know why you had suspicions.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    He hadnt been sat down at the table for very long, and was raising and re-raising pre-flop and post flop quite frequently with a wide range of hands, i felt he had been quite loose in the previous hands so i didnt give him much credit.
  • edited October 2011
    If you give yourself 15 outs 3 being 8's when you hit why are you not value betting????

Hmmmmm realistically if we didnt know his had you have 12 outs as i cant see how you think the 8's are good