You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM - Loose Call Pre?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Should I have called this tiny 3bet pre? I figured it was too small a bet compared to what was in the pot to not call to see if I hit the flop hard.

Or am I just throwing chips away?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
glenboy501 Small blind   25.00 25.00 2095.00
mollymoo Big blind   50.00 75.00 2052.50
  Your hole cards
  • A

sharpe08 Fold        
GeminChik Fold        
jodisco54 Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   150.00 225.00 1885.00
glenboy501 Raise   225.00 450.00 1870.00
mollymoo Fold        
Lambert180 Call   100.00 550.00 1785.00
Flop

• K

glenboy501 Bet   150.00 700.00 1720.00
Lambert180 Fold        
glenboy501 Muck        
glenboy501 Win   550.00   2270.00
glenboy501 Return   150.00 0.00 2420.00

Comments

• edited October 2011

I refuse to fold to these pathetic min 3 bets, dym or no dym.

I might even raise the flop, as a bluff, if im feeling particularly donkey like. or float it.

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - Loose Call Pre?:
    I refuse to fold to these pathetic min 3 bets, dym or no dym. I might even raise the flop, as a bluff, if im feeling particularly donkey like. or float it.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Really?i dont call anything other thn AA,KK,QQ in first 4 levels let the others do the DONK work,WON 7 out of 8 DYM now .Sit tight and wait for DONKS to knock each other out!!!!!!!
  • edited October 2011
    Hmm this is annoying but your only hitting your hand 1 in 3 here on flop so if your calling you need a plan as Mr Hogg said consider raising flop or floating and re evaluating turn.
    I would raise fold here alot of time but donkey 3 bets are so annoying
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - Loose Call Pre? : Really?i dont call anything other thn AA,KK,QQ in first 4 levels let the others do the DONK work,WON 7 out of 8 DYM now .Sit tight and wait for DONKS to knock each other out!!!!!!!
    Posted by cleaverjim
    Yes this is the standard way to play dyms and therefore if you want to fold the A10 preflop, this is fine.

But, imo, you may as well use the button with a reasonable hand like A10.

sometimes the bb will be defending light with this min raise, obv we need reads but dont listen to the hype, you CAN play poker in dyms if you feel comfortable doing so. many passive players will fold QQ or JJ to agression in this spot so why not rep the "K"  and put pressure on weak play, they dont have to have the nuts here so punish them. Im not saying it will work every time, but it has to be profitable long-term if done correctly surely.  

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - Loose Call Pre? : Really?i dont call anything other thn AA,KK,QQ in first 4 levels let the others do the DONK work,WON 7 out of 8 DYM now .Sit tight and wait for DONKS to knock each other out!!!!!!!
    Posted by cleaverjim
    I can understand playing only AA/KK/QQ in level 1 and 2 as JC says in his guide (although he includes JJ and AK but you're folding the last 2 to 3bets). But by level 4 you a very large percentage of the time, you're not gonna get AA/KK/QQ, then in level 5 when you start opening up your range, you'll have blinded away some chips and the blinds will be at a level where you'll probably only have around 15 BBs and then you leave yourself open to racing alot more often than you'd like/is profitable.

I know you're gonna say you've won 7 out of 8 but you need to play alot more than 10 times that many games to get an idea of whether you're truly winning or just having positive variance.
  • edited October 2011
    only playin AA - QQ in the 1st 4 levels is a mistake

obv results count 4 nothin til u get a decent sample size
  • edited October 2011
    only playin AA - QQ in the 1st 4 levels is a mistake obv results count 4 nothin til u get a decent sample size
    Posted by SHANXTA
    This, play hands like 10 J suited, Q 10, set mining with low PPs etc, you can hit big flops and earn a nice early double up, but most importantly you can gain valuable info on your opponents for a cheap price in the early stages.
  • edited October 2011
    Regarding JCs guide - Most low stakes DYM players will have read this, so i would play completely the opposite !!

• edited October 2011
    i agree with shanxta just sit back early stages in dyms let other people knock each other out I WOULD FOLD A 10 HERE 100 per cent of the time preflop 
  • edited October 2011
    Regarding JCs guide - Most low stakes DYM players will have read this, so i would play completely the opposite !!
    Posted by goodylad21
    Well no offence but I completely disagree with you there cos probably about 90% (just an estimate) of people who play on Sky don't even go near the forum ever. And most rubbish players who dont take the game that seriously and read it, will not take most of it in and within a couple of days will probably be completely gone from their minds.

JC's guide is a very profitable way to play, fact. People can try to combat it but it's fairly tough to exploit really and you don't need to come 1st, you just need to make it to the final 3.
  • edited October 2011
    fold pre ainec imo

you hit your flop 1in 3 and when you do hit it you have serious rio issues

If you want to 4bt bluff it pre or call with plan to bluff on flop thats a different question, and if thats the case the fact you have AT wont matter that much
  • edited October 2011
    what is ainec short for gran?
  • edited October 2011
    these hands just gets u in tricky decisions say a ace flops can u really know that u are ahead thats y i would fold preflop 
  • edited October 2011
    There's a good article in the SNG section on 2+2 on how you should change play when blinds hit 25-50. Briefly, here are some of the points. This was based on a turbo setup on PS so you could probably consider 50-100 as the equivalent here:

-Effective stack sizes are generally between  15-30 BB, therefore not as much room for manoeuvre.

"Another thing you should realize is that a mistake in this level is very costly. In the earlier levels of play you can make a mistake or two and lose 10-15% of your stack in doing so. In the 25-50* level you’ll regularly see players lose 25-50% or more of their chips on one bad play here. "

*50-100 for us.

" Let’s take a look at preflop raising. A common mistake players make is committing too many chips into the pot preflop. As the blinds go up and the ratio to your stack sizes goes down, position starts to matter less. Common raise sizing when 20-30bb deep should be 2-2.5x the big blind, or 100-125* chips in this level. Under special circumstances a 3x raise may apply, but this is rare and unnecessary to go over in this article."

"In the 25-50* level a lot of hands that were valuable to raise in previous levels will go down in value. .. Your implied odds go down as the blind-stack ratio becomes smaller, meaning hands that make top pair are going to be going up in value while lower-card hands that need to make flushes, straights and two pair hands are going to go down in value."

There's more but that's the gist of some of the article.