You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

late night poker reading

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi people

can anyone recommend good books to read?i keep getting told about doyle brunson's super system, but reviews on the book are saying that it is outdated. I have also come across a bloke called Harrington who has written a few books where reviews are saying his books are more up to date and now taking over Doyles books. 

so any recommendations would be welcome :)

Margatemafia

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Don't start off with Harrington - you'll use tactics that go way over the head of many opponents and you will certainly lose because of it.
    It's best to build up. I recommend:

1. Sklansky on Hold 'Em by David Sklansky
    2. Hold 'Em Excellence by Lou Krieger
    3. Harrington on Hold 'Em, by Dan Harrington
    4. Every Hand Revealed, by Gus Hansen

In that order. Whatever you do, don't read Gus Hansen's book first - it's suicidal.
  • edited October 2009

My personal preferences

Best begginner book= Getting started in holdem by Edward Miller

More Advanced

Tournaments= Harrington on holdem volume 1 and 2 (dont buy 3)

SNG= Sit and go strategy by Colin Moshman

Cash games= ryan fee ebook - its free
    www.raise.ch/files/Ryan_Fees_6maxNL_Guide.pdf  or

Small stakes no limit holdem (the affordable ebook) by ed miller,sunny mehta         
                           and Matt flynn- great book for intermediate/advanced players (100 dollars though)

By the way, imo all the books Bigbluster has recommended are great too

GL

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: late night poker reading:
    Don't start off with Harrington - you'll use tactics that go way over the head of many opponents and you will certainly lose because of it. It's best to build up. I recommend: 1. Sklansky on Hold 'Em by David Sklansky 2. Hold 'Em Excellence by Lou Krieger 3. Harrington on Hold 'Em, by Dan Harrington 4. Every Hand Revealed, by Gus Hansen In that order. Whatever you do, don't read Gus Hansen's book first - it's suicidal.
    Posted by BigBluster

BB, could you do me a favour? put a link on here from amzon or wherever for the sklansky book, as he seems to have written bucketloads of books and i would like to get the one you have recommended :)
  • edited October 2009

I'm currently reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes and it's a cracker.

This isn't completely off-topic either. I find his analytical deductions and people reading skills to mirror poker perfectly.

I also find Hercule Poirot to be a great supplement to my time spent on the cyber-baize. Takes my mind off the game but keeps it switched on at the same time.

As Poirot would say, poker, just as life, is all about those "little grey cells".

• edited October 2009
    Whatever you do, don't read Gus Hansen's book first - it's suicidal.
    Posted by BigBluster
    And don't use his tactics in your The Open or Bounty Hunter! lol
  • edited October 2009
    I like KEN WARREN teaches Texas Hold'em.  Simple enough for total novices like me, but deep enough for the more advanced players, I think.
  • edited October 2009
    I have enough trouble reading everyone elses play.
    I have never read any poker books, I have learnt what little I know about poker from just playing and watching others.
    Books are fine if you know absolutely nothing about the game, but you play online and live and don't do too bad, except for the occasional day when the poker gods are against you.
    Poker for dummies, hint hint Tikay, is always the best way to start.
  • edited October 2009
    well, i ordered the books tonight :

Gus hansen - every hand revealed ( will be taking earlier advice from the thread lol )

Dan Harrington - no limit hold em' tournament strategy volume 1

Colin moshman - sit n go strategy

Paul Mendelson - Texas hold em' win online

So loads of reading to do as of tuesday evening lol thanks for all the recommendations, will let you all know what i think of the books if people want :) 
  • edited October 2009
    I've read Gus Hansen's book and enjoyed it.  It's more of a story than a straight-forward strategy book so therefore not as dry as other poker books.

I'd be interested to read your opinion on the books, especially Moshman's book.
  • edited October 2009
    ok beastieboy, i will put reviews up of each book when i have read them and let people know wether it has improved my game or not :)
  • edited October 2009
    Try the various forums (2+2 is partcularly good). Cheaper and, in my opinion, more useful.
  • edited October 2009
    Try the various forums (2+2 is partcularly good). Cheaper and, in my opinion, more useful.
    Posted by KnackersYa

already ordered them i am afraid, what's 2+2 sorry new to the forums :(
  • edited October 2009
    no worries, nice one for that:) will look more in depth tomorrow when i have more time :)
  • edited October 2009
    hi guys,

unfortunately i have had to delete a post in this thread that contained a link to another poker forum. we fully encourage the sharing of tips and other information however we have to draw the line at sending traffic to another forum.

thanks for being understanding.

Rich
  • edited October 2009
    I'm surprised it stayed on this long.

I dunno about being cheap, I bought a poker guide from amazon for a penny recently.

Granted, it was rubbish and the P&P was 275 times the cost of the book, but for a penny, It's actually cheaper than loo roll.

• edited October 2009
    hi guys, unfortunately i have had to delete a post in this thread that contained a link to another poker forum. we fully encourage the sharing of tips and other information however we have to draw the line at sending traffic to another forum. thanks for being understanding. Rich
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Sorry Rich, didn't realise it was against the rules.
  • edited October 2009
    Can anyone post a link or pix of the sklansky book theres load and i not sure whihc one is the right one.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm surprised it stayed on this long. I dunno about being cheap, I bought a poker guide from amazon for a penny recently. Granted, it was rubbish and the P&P was 275 times the cost of the book, but for a penny, It's actually cheaper than loo roll.
    Posted by Hale72
    You must be on the luxury stuff lol, remember the stuff years ago that was like grease proof paper lol
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: late night poker reading : You must be on the luxury stuff lol, remember the stuff years ago that was like grease proof paper lol
    Posted by loonytoons
     you may laugh at this, but back in the day when i was driving big 44 tonne lorries, when i went into service stations to erm erm use their facilities i used to take my own loo roll in because of that cheap nasty grease proof paper :)

sorry :( you all wanted to know that didn't you :0