You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flopped Straight on a Flushing Board, What do you do?

I was playing a sit'n'go on an 8 handed table, blinds were 25/50 with 10 minute levels, the average stack was 1687.50.

The action is folded round;
Cut-off limps for 50, leaving 1135 chips back.
Dealer button folds.
I make up the SB of 25 with JQ leaving 1655 chips back
The BB checks still with 1405 chips left.

The pot is 150 and the flop comes down 9T8 all spades, I have the nut-straight but no spades.
I bet 200 into the 150 pot.
The BB pushes All in for 1405, the cut-off calls All-in for 1135 chips.

What should I do here?
What would you do here?

You have 1455 chips, the call would leave you with 250 chips (5 BB), the pot is worth 2890, it would be 4095 if you called.

I could be against a made flush - I'd be drawing dead.
If I'm against a flush draw, they would have up to 9 outs with 2 cards to come.
I still have roughly the starting stack if I fold.

VOTE BELOW BEFORE READING ON...

I'm thinking it's not a great spot to call 90% of my chips away, so I fold.

The SB turns 7J for the J-high straight, the C.O. shows TQ (Q is a spade), he has top-pair and flush/straight/straight flush draws.
The turn is a K and the river a non-spaded Ace.

I would have won the hand if I had called, I didn't and I bubbled, finishing 4th.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    you made the right move folding mate---you have to assume that spades are out there--people often just push if they flop a flush with low cards, and they could easily be called by the ace of spades--big risk for that portion of your stack---not worth it imo---hope for better spot---wp--gl at d tables
  • edited October 2009
    I'm folding once the 2nd player calls the all in. Its very likely that the initial shover has top pair, high kicker rather than flushing but the facts are:

1) Your hand cannot improve
    2) The caller is uber strong to call an all in shove for their stack before u have acted
    3) They both likely have at least 1 spade which gives them more outs
    4) You still have nearly 1500 chips with blinds at 25/50 - plenty of time left.
  • edited October 2009

Hi kevilfish

Very tough decision, I think I would have made my bet something like 350 in the first place, I would have needed to find out where I was, that may have sent the message, yes I got a big hand and may have folded (No guarantees of course:)) there are certainly players out there who will call even without the odds.

If then I got an all in, I would have to think, you are trying to protect your hand, and called, (yes it is for my tourny life, but would you really put all your chips in the middle on a flush?), if they had the flush, then fair play to them, but if as happened the all in and the call, then I would have to think 1 off them has the flush, or a high ranking spade and fold.

• edited October 2009
    It really depends on what you know from playing the other players invoved. If i had any read on the players being even slightly loose I would call or vice versa. I do however thnk I would be tempted by the call but hard to say depends on numerous factors.
  • edited October 2009
    I would fold every time in that situation and wait for a better spot.
  • edited October 2009
    I voted fold for the reasons that Phil has stated, so i dont need to repeat them...
  • edited October 2009
    I probably would of called against 1 opponent but still belive it would be a race. No way would i call 2 players, unless it was late and id had a few beers
  • edited October 2009
    fold  on here  m8  lol
  • edited October 2009
    I WOULD HAVE CALLED FLOPING THE STRAIGHT WITH ANYONE WANTING TO BEAT ME HAVING TO HAVE 2 CARDS WOULD BE JUST TO TEMPTING 
  • edited October 2009
    1 villain snapcall
    2 villains snapfold
  • edited October 2009
    no  badboy   flush  flop  98% time   someone  hit  
  • edited October 2009
    theres  more  fish on  here  then  there is   in   the  atlantic    any  to  sueited  hole  cards    chase  it  all the way  to  the  river
  • edited October 2009
    You would have had enough chips to make the money if you had won this hand. Furthermore, you're 70% against both players unless one has a made flush (if they're both going for the flush, you're a little more as they've each got one of the other's cards). Even if you lose, you've still got a chance to come back.

This is a clear-cut call for me. If someone does have the made flush, then just load up on another table and play again. You can't turn down 70% chances of making the money.

• edited October 2009

I initially voted fold, however there is a voice in my head telling me that in your situation and actually being in the game, I may have called.

A real toughie, possibly no right or wrong answer to this one.
  • edited October 2009

I think it would come down to your read on the opponent who called the 1st all-in, is he liable to just do it with top pair?

If he's been fairly loose, then I probably call, if he's been a rock, then I fold.

Probably.
  • edited October 2009
    think Phil hit the nail on the head there. You can't improve so let it go.
  • edited October 2009
    I would of folded too, an waited for a better spot :)
  • edited October 2009
    Fold! Yes you have a made hand however you have to assume with the action after you that someone else has a better made hand. And in the best situation that have a strong flush draw and you would be dead to any one of the 9 outs etc Plus as previously said with the blinds at such a low level yu had plenty of time to get your chips in with more certainty that you would be ahead
  • edited October 2009
    So 3 of us said call, everyone else said fold. In this instance, calling would have taken it down but that doesn't necessarily make it 'correct'.

I still think that the fold is way too timid - you will make the money if it holds up, something which is a high probability. I can see how you could possibly fold in a MTT in this situation, but a SnG? If you lose, just load up on another table and start again.

And as for waiting for a better spot. With all due respect, a straight was flopped - how many better spots do you want? One with no cards of the same suit? Or with only 2 cards of the same suit? Well bring your flask and butties, cos you could be in for a very long wait :-)
    On the one hand you make the money, on the other you're down to 5 big blinds on a 9 outer - I'm not folding here.