You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Reasons for losing the plot

edited October 2009 in Area 51

In every day life I cant remember the last time I lost my temper, dont get road rage etc yet on here lose the plot.

5 min later I feel a right dafty, its only a game, its online against faceless people.

For what reason you may ask.

Well my top 3 lately have been

My aces being busted by Q 2 and the culprit typin in Thank you.

My kings being busted with 2 8 this time it was typed in sry chip value m8 even though I had 2300 and him 3K.

Playing a hand abseloooootly rubbish cos i have lost the plot lol.

Switch off your chat you may say or pack in poker it aint for you but I cant.

I am wondering what other reasons people have lost it I cant be the only one surely

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I think we've all lost it from time to time here but the big difference now is i've got better at controlling this.

Before, I'd suffer some horrendous beat and it would literally wind me up for days and that would cost me quite a bit because I'd be tilting so badly. Now I simply quietly curse to myself, close my eyes & count to 10. If that doesn't work then sometimes I'll just sit away for a couple of hands but I don't find myself doing that too much.
  • edited October 2009
    Im exactly the same as silent bob, i used to get so frustrated when i lost etc... i then realised you just chill out if you sit out for like an hour, now i shrug it off because in the long run you know you will win.
  • edited October 2009
    good question this ...

I suffer from road rage and i am a driving instructor ( mmm sounds dangerous ) but there is a reason for it, does not excuse it but it is a reason. I know how people should drive and i know what is safe and what is not and i get wound up that people behind the wheel can be so flippant behind the wheel without due care for others safety... (dont get me started lol ) now going back on topic

when you get a bad beat in poker it is generally because you are so sure your ahead and favorite to win the hand that when someone turns over a 2/8 and it beats your kings or whatever, you get annoyed at 2 things in my opinion ...

1. you look at 2/8 for example and think why are you playing with those cards!! i would of chucked them straight away!!

2. Because you don't play cards yourself like that, it takes you by surprise and then sets you off because you didn't see it coming :) and all the warning signs would of been there and you didn't spot it. so you basically get angry at yourself that you didn't see it not so much that you lost.

thats how it is for me anyway, feel free to correct me if i have spoken out of turn or i am wrong. i still get like it now and five minutes after having a bad beat, i just sit there and think you mug! how far are you going to get in the long run playing stupid cards like that, you should change from poker to bingo :) then i am chilled out again.

One thing i read in a book was, if you suffer a bad beat think of it as a temporary loan rather than a loss. Because if your a good player you will get it :) that quote always calms me down and then i target that player and watch a bit more carefully and make my move when the time is right :)
  • edited October 2009
    Taking your advice I am gonna start sittin out 3 hands or so make a cup of tea.

What book was that in margate?
  • edited October 2009
    I t was a book by ken warren, very basic book for beginners. Think of it as loan pick your spot then get back with interest :) 
  • edited October 2009
    These long runs were you make lots of money sound fantastic.

Where can i get one??
  • edited October 2009
    one thing--losing the plot for good reasons can cost you a lot of money, --but (according to the great IAN DRURY)---reasons to be cheerful are free---lol----1------2------free!
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Reasons for losing the plot:

One thing i read in a book was, if you suffer a bad beat think of it as a temporary loan rather than a loss. Because if your a good player you will get it :) that quote always calms me down and then i target that player and watch a bit more carefully and make my move when the time is right :)
    Posted by margatemaf

I think this is very good advice. I will have to read this book myself.
  • edited October 2009
    right  appollo   just    put  in  your  notes on  them    he  owes  me  money  lol
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Reasons for losing the plot:
    In Response to Re: Reasons for losing the plot : One thing i read in a book was, if you suffer a bad beat think of it as a temporary loan rather than a loss. Because if your a good player you will get it :) that quote always calms me down and then i target that player and watch a bit more carefully and make my move when the time is right :) Posted by margatemaf
    I think this is very good advice. I will have to read this book myself.
    Posted by apollo_11

it was quite a good book and a cheapie too, even better lol :) tighter than a ducks b u t t  i am!!