You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i wrong to shove Turn?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
you didn't shove the river, you shoved the turn.

Not wrong though just unlucky he hit the set.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    wild244 Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £2.91
    bahh Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £22.45
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Macacan Fold        
    suffolklad Raise   £0.32 £0.44 £7.95
    dgw69 Fold        
    halifax73 Fold        
    wild244 Fold        
    bahh Raise   £1.40 £1.84 £21.05
    suffolklad Call   £1.16 £3.00 £6.79
    Flop

• J

bahh Bet   £1.68 £4.68 £19.37
    suffolklad Call   £1.68 £6.36 £5.11
    Turn

• K

bahh All-in   £19.37 £25.73 £0.00
    suffolklad All-in   £5.11 £30.84 £0.00
    bahh Unmatched bet   £14.26 £16.58 £14.26
    bahh Show
    • A
    • A

suffolklad Show

River

suffolklad Win Three 9s £15.33   £15.33
  • edited October 2011
    Nothing wrong with this just unlucky. It was all going in anyway. For what it's worth he's not getting the correct implied odds to call your 3-bet in my oppinion. Your 3-bet is well sized and there's nothing scary on the flop or the turn to make you worry. Ship it in is fine. If you check and he ships you are still calling. He doesn't even have a pot bet behind
  • edited October 2011
    I don't like it. Pot was £6, you shoved for a further £20 with just one pair...why?

If you thought he might be chasing a flush or straight draw, bet bigger on the flop - 3/4 pot.

Secondly, it;s one of those situations where you'll only get called by better and worse won't call, so why bet such a large amount? If you think he had QJ or AJ and wanted value, bet an amount he will pay off.

By turn, a few hands could have been beating you... obviously a set, but KJ, which seems wholly possible given action on flop, would have made 2 pairs and beaten you.

AA is the best hand pre flop, but one pair is only of moderate strength as a hand, so don't lose your stack over it.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: was i wrong to shove river?:
    I don't like it. Pot was £6, you shoved for a further £20 with just one pair...why? If you thought he might be chasing a flush or straight draw, bet bigger on the flop - 3/4 pot. Secondly, it;s one of those situations where you'll only get called by better and worse won't call, so why bet such a large amount? If you think he had QJ or AJ and wanted value, bet an amount he will pay off. By turn, a few hands could have been beating you... obviously a set, but KJ, which seems wholly possible given action on flop, would have made 2 pairs and beaten you. AA is the best hand pre flop, but one pair is only of moderate strength as a hand, so don't lose your stack over it.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    He's only shoving 5 into 6 effectively with the other guys stack. 

I think it's fine. 
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: was i wrong to shove river? : He's only shoving 5 into 6 effectively with the other guys stack.  I think it's fine. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yeah but why risk the stack when you aren't blocking a draw and you will only get called by better? There is no value in it but far greater risk.

Edit: I know what you mean about the caller's stack size, but I don't see why someone with AJ, for example, would call off the bet even if it was just "pot" sized. I suppose going broke a few more times with AA etc to 2 pair or sets will make him as cynical and crusty as me :D
  • edited October 2011
    You should have played this passively as is the way at 8NL. Flat call preflop, check-check flop, check-check turn, check-fold river as villian shoves.. it would be apparent at this point he has hit something better than a pair. You could have got away losing the mininmum.
  • edited October 2011
    perfectly played imo
  • edited October 2011
    can't see anything wrong here
  • edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    nothing wrong just unlucky played it fine
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: was i wrong to shove river? : Yeah but why risk the stack when you aren't blocking a draw and you will only get called by better? There is no value in it but far greater risk. Edit: I know what you mean about the caller's stack size, but I don't see why someone with AJ, for example, would call off the bet even if it was just "pot" sized. I suppose going broke a few more times with AA etc to 2 pair or sets will make him as cynical and crusty as me :D
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    You not played much low limits on here I presume
  • edited October 2011
    Played fine , no probs at all ul