You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM - What is he doing this with?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hey guys,

Just starting a mini session of DYMs and I got this as one of my very first hands. I don't have any notes on the player, what do you think he pot bets here on the river? Was I wrong to fold? I was thinking he probably only flats my flop bet with 6x, 2x, an average PP (couple below mine and a couple above) or just 2 big overs like AK. But the only 6x and 2x hands I can imagine him calling pre with is A6 and A2 so that's not a huge amount of his range.

I dunno, I know it's only a tiny pot at the very start but I just wanted to check my decision making...
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CLARKEY747 Small blind   10.00 10.00 1970.00
Lambert180 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards

5flush Fold        
pokerroy Fold        
wrongjohn1 Fold        
7049 Call   20.00 50.00 2390.00
CLARKEY747 Call   10.00 60.00 1960.00
Lambert180 Check        
Flop

CLARKEY747 Check        
Lambert180 Bet   45.00 105.00 1935.00
7049 Fold        
CLARKEY747 Call   45.00 150.00 1915.00
Turn

• K

CLARKEY747 Check        
Lambert180 Check        
River

CLARKEY747 Bet   150.00 300.00 1765.00
Lambert180 Fold        
CLARKEY747 Muck        
CLARKEY747 Win   150.00   1915.00
CLARKEY747 Return   150.00 0.00 2065.00

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Possibly a 6 given he limped from SB, unlikely he had a pocket pair, otherwise he played it very passively. I'd have called in your position.
  • edited October 2011

He could have anything in this spot, just trying to steal it on the end with the worst hand or he could have a King and hoping his check on the turn would disguise it, or he could have missed his flush draw but still trying to steal it.

Not a great deal to go on here, no notes and not much in the way of any signs pre, post flop or on the turn.

Think you've gotta raise pre at least 4x to start telling the story and at least if you have a plan of what your gonna do it looks half believable.  Also, I think it's worth betting the turn to help you make your mind up of where you are.
  • edited October 2011
    What buy in was this? If it's a cheap one it could be just someone donking around early. That's the point the though, they could have ANYTHING as there's no information preflop. I would have just folded on the flop when my set didn't appear as this is so so early in a DYM. If pressed I'd put the villain on small pocket pair.
  • edited October 2011

BTW - The way it's played and for this level, I'd prob call this on the river
  • edited October 2011
    Im definitely calling
  • edited October 2011
    The reason I didnt raise 4x pre is cos it's the first level of a DYM and I would insta-fold this from any other position but I was in the BB and it was limped to me. That's why I played it quite passive and pot controlly
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - What is he doing this with?:
    The reason I didnt raise 4x pre is cos it's the first level of a DYM and I would insta-fold this from any other position but I was in the BB and it was limped to me. That's why I played it quite passive and pot controlly
    Posted by Lambert180
    ..all the same reasons you should have folded the flop. What turn making you happy other than an a 8? Did you really think it was going to get checked to showdown?
  • edited October 2011

wow that is tight, not even opening with 8's

raise pre 3x4x

folding at the end though

• edited October 2011

even though its a dym i am playing it strong preflop.

as played i snap call river. i would expect to see pure air, 6 or annoyingly sometimes the "k"

in the majority of times tho, i think you are ahead, so i think its an easy call. dym or no dym

• edited October 2011
    wow that is tight, not even opening with 8's raise pre 3x4x folding at the end though
    Posted by rancid
    In the early levels I'm just set mining or similar with a hand like that, and only if I can see the flop cheap. As played, you should have called the river - if it was for 800 chips I could see a reason to fold so early but 150 can be made back the next hand.
  • edited October 2011
    Its correct to fold this hand pre in levels one and two set mining isnt needed in DYM's and youwill lose too many chips in long run unless you can limp in to a multi way pot.
    As played just dont bother doing anything in hand and fold to first bet the pot is pointlss this early so just get rid of it when no 8 comes.
  • edited October 2011
    Its correct to fold this hand pre in levels one and two set mining isnt needed in DYM's and youwill lose too many chips in long run unless you can limp in to a multi way pot. As played just dont bother doing anything in hand and fold to first bet the pot is pointlss this early so just get rid of it when no 8 comes.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Like I said, if it's cheap, speculative hands can be great for doubling up with relatively little risk and can often be limped into in first two levels, but that's it.
  • edited October 2011
    Hey Lambert, nice post

Am with supersnedd, he is in with there pretty much anything, his call could be a 6, flush draw or any over cards or a pair of his own. Maybe he played A2 badly??

In this instance might of been worth a call, because you might of been ahead and win the pot. A if not you get good insight into the guy to your left for reasonably cheap.

But a fold here is good also as you lost little and risked nothing!!

regards

K
  • edited October 2011
    What buy in was this? If it's a cheap one it could be just someone donking around early. That's the point the though, they could have ANYTHING as there's no information preflop. I would have just folded on the flop when my set didn't appear as this is so so early in a DYM. If pressed I'd put the villain on small pocket pair.
    Posted by step7
    i'm not sure just open folding the flop is going 2 b overly +ev
  • edited October 2011
    checking pre is fine

flop bet is fine

checking bk the turn is ok, i bet it vs some villains thou

river is a snap call, ur hand is under-repped afta checking bk the turn, most of the time he'll show up wiv 6x, occasionally either the case 2 or kx
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks Shanxta. Nice to get some good relevant thoughts from a hardcore DYMer. Looking back at it, I see that I really should have called.
  • edited October 2011
    pre i would have raise to like 80 makes the hand easier to play down streets
    flop would have bet bigger like 70 - 90
    turn i check
    river i call that bet
  • edited October 2011
    i'd definantly call the river, cant see how your folding. Dunno about people saying u could lay 88 down pre, i certainly wouldn't but thats just me.
  • edited October 2011
    Its correct to fold this hand pre in levels one and two set mining isnt needed in DYM's and youwill lose too many chips in long run unless you can limp in to a multi way pot. As played just dont bother doing anything in hand and fold to first bet the pot is pointlss this early so just get rid of it when no 8 comes.
    Posted by Batkin88
    it was limp to him pre he cant fold
  • edited October 2011
    Agreed, I cannot fold 88 pre when it's limped to me lol. But there is NO way I'm raising with it pre in Level 1 of a DYM... I'm gonna hate most flops when people call me and I'm gonna hate getting re-raised pre and have to fold.