You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Questionable call? - UKOPS 7 Satellite

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,
Just played in the £11+ 1 UKOPS 7 Satellite Qualifier and ran into an interesting hand against Dylan12.

This is my first post on the Sky Poker forums, so I'll give a little bit of back story. I'll be perfectly honest - I'm a total fish when it comes to tournaments (this being about the 10th I've played in my 2 year career) but when I saw the low buy-in and low field size for this event I decided to give it a shot.
I'm primarily a 6-Max cash game player so I went into this tournament playing my usual TAG game, hoping it would get me somewhere.

About 50-or-so hands in, Dylan 3x raised my big blind. He was fairly TAG as well from what I could see and this was the first time I'd played against him. Oh, and before I go any further, I just want to point out that I'm not bashing Dylan - he's obviously a fantastic tournament player but I can't get my head around how he made this call.

Blinds 50/100
Lang7 (BB - $4105) - Kh 9s
Dylan12 (BTN - $4230) - XX

Folded to Dylan12, raises to $300
SB folds
Lang7 calls $200
Pot $650

***FLOP***
6s 8c 6d

Lang7 checks
Dylan12 checks
Pot $650

***TURN***
Qh

Lang7 bets $400
Dylan12 calls

Pot $1450

***RIVER***
2c

Lang7 bets $750
Dylan12 calls and wins the pot with a pair of 6's, Ace kicker (Ah Ks).

After the hand was over there was a bit of banter about whether this was a good call or not. Dylan felt it was an "obvious" call because it was me he was playing against. I really don't know where he got this wild read on me from, because I would be very surprised if I was playing anything near my usual 21/18 game that I play in cash games and I hadn't been caught with any bluffs. I was playing super aggressive post-flop, but I think I'd probably only been in about 5/6 hands total that actually got to a flop at that point.
He asked me "what are you repping?" after the hand, when, in my mind, I could have easily checked an 8 or 6 out of position on the flop and fired the turn to protect. Any queen could also have checked and is obviously betting that turn. Once he called the turn I thought he had a pair lower than 8's or random Ax/Kx hoping to hit/bluff catch, and I knew I'd probably have to double barrel after the turn.

When the 2c comes on the river, I'm never betting any 2, 6, any weak pocket pair or any weak-medium Q in my mind. I guess my range is really polarised once I value bet the river, but I still think calling off 1/4 of your stack against a strong double barrel from a TAG player is a questionable play on Dylan's part. Like I said, I spoke to Dylan afterward and he seemed happy with how he played it, and I'm content on how I played it too.

Any thoughts and opinions on any changes you'd make to how either of us play the hand, guys?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Dont mess with Dylan.............Hes the best!!!
  • edited October 2011
    In all honesty i think alot would make that call.

Just because you bet does that mean you have to have a hand ? on river its costing 750 to win over 2100 with still over 2.5k left if wrong and also will stop anyone trying it on again with him . . . . . . . . . . . . oh and i forgot to say dylan suffers from terrible migrane and needs to lay down in a dark room with a blindfold on so prob forgot to take it off :)

Nh gg gl

Dylan is my hero btw x x x
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Questionable call? - UKOPS 7 Satellite:
    In all honesty i think alot would make that call. Just because you bet does that mean you have to have a hand ? on river its costing 750 to win over 2100 with still over 2.5k left if wrong and also will stop anyone trying it on again with him . . . . . . . . . . . . oh and i forgot to say dylan suffers from terrible migrane and needs to lay down in a dark room with a blindfold on so prob forgot to take it off :) Nh gg gl Dylan is my hero btw x x x
    Posted by jenny_IYY
    No, of course betting doesn't guarantee a hand, but I hadn't given him any reason to believe I was bluffing. I played tight throughout. I agree that the pot odds are there, but I still think that with ace high it's a very loose call. I double barreled, which I knew I'd probably have to do anyway to get him off any weak hand, and played the river as a blocker bet designed to look like I wanted value. You're only beating a bluff, and you're calling off a quarter of your stack just as the blinds are starting to get huge. In the long run I think this is a losing play.
  • edited October 2011
    I make that call aswell there fwiw.

LOL at dylan in the blindfold :)
  • edited October 2011
    i make the call, but thn i call 100% of rivers according to dohhhh. i really dont see what your repping here.

I just dump K9 pre.
  • edited October 2011
    good price to call and be a hero and thats just what he is

Just say good call and move on
  • edited October 2011
    First rule of poker, don't bluff fish !
  • edited October 2011
    First rule of poker, don't bluff fish !
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    hahahahah

+1 Dylan is never folding Ace high there it is the nuts! :)
  • edited October 2011
    lol, lots of great herocallers itt when cards are face up. OP next time post hand without showing dylans river call or his hole cards and you get better replies

I also dont understand why people think hero doesnt rep value hands here. Its a call dylan can make depending what reads he has on you, and he prob has to call that river after calling turn,but I dont agree with everyone that says this is a clear calldown for him readless

Also calling pre oop against a good player with K9o is not a good idea imo
  • edited October 2011
    aslong as you are vbetting 8x+ then i like how you play the hand.

but i would definately be folding pre

• edited October 2011
    i make the call, but thn i call 100% of rivers according to dohhhh. i really dont see what your repping here. I just dump K9 pre.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Like I said in the original post, it's not exactly unbelievable for me to have checked a hand like QJ/QT on the flop and fired the turn and river, is it? I'd also play any hand with an 8 in exactly the same way.
    I'd occassionally play pocket 9's and tens like this as well - maybe about 20% of the time. I definitely prefer a 3-bet with these hands overall, but I do mix it up a little.

lol, lots of great herocallers itt when cards are face up. OP next time post hand without showing dylans river call or his hole cards and you get better replies I also dont understand why people think hero doesnt rep value hands here. Its a call dylan can make depending what reads he has on you, and he prob has to call that river after calling turn,but I dont agree with everyone that says this is a clear calldown for him readless Also calling pre oop against a good player with K9o is not a good idea imo
    Posted by grantorino
    I agree. Looking back, calling OOP with K9o is the only part of this hand I'm not happy with. I think I got drawn in to the call because it was the best hand I'd seen in a while. I'd actually typed in a 3-bet and changed my mind at the last minute to a call.
    If Dylan comes over the top of me, it's an easy fold. If he calls, I might take the pot down with a donk c-bet (although I do hate a donk lead in any pot).
  • edited October 2011
    aslong as you are vbetting 8x+ then i like how you play the hand. but i would definately be folding pre
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Absolutely. Would almost never be betting any hand with an 8 in it on that flop as it's practically the nuts and I think there's far more value in trapping.
    Yeah, I had a think about it and I don't like the flat at all. Fine with the rest of the hand though.