You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha 10pl line check

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SlickJim Sit out     
bailey121 Sit out     
NColley Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £21.55
IsPossible Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £5.18
 Your hole cards
  • K

yorkie63 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £41.28
chrisbhoy Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.78
NColley Call  £0.25 £1.00 £21.30
IsPossible Call  £0.20 £1.20 £4.98
Flop

• A
  • J
  • Q

NColley Bet  £1.20 £2.40 £20.10
IsPossible Call  £1.20 £3.60 £3.78
yorkie63 Call  £1.20 £4.80 £40.08
chrisbhoy Fold     
Turn

NColley Bet  £3.60 £8.40 £16.50
IsPossible Fold     
yorkie63 Call  £3.60 £12.00 £36.48
River

• Q

NColley Check     
yorkie63 Bet  £12.00 £24.00 £24.48
NColley Fold     
yorkie63 Muck     
yorkie63 Win  £11.30  £35.78
yorkie63 Return  £12.00 £0.70 £47.78

Comments

• edited October 2011

call pre was a misclick, table quite active no reads.

• edited October 2011
    I'm rubbish, but I wouldn't mess about on the turn I'd just pot it. 

I'm still c/f ing that river though. 
  • edited October 2011

£4-pot on turn the turn is a good card as board hasn't paired up but bad as it brings 2 flush draws and is more like to keep people in with say AJssXX

C/F river, no way you can hero call the river most likely they are turning over here AAxx AQxx JJxx, JQxx sometimes even QQxx

played fine folds perfect on river

hurts that you are first to act as you probably Take it down on the turn, as when you check river they basically have all they need to know that Q on the river is a massive scare card to you

• edited October 2011
    Perfect example of why position is so much more important in PLO than in NLHE.  I'll accept your call pre was a misclick as stated and not dwell there.  But as a result of coming in out of position with a weak starting hand we have lost a chunk of our stack when the obvious scare card comes.  In this case I do think Yorkie has it, but as you move up the levels you'll see people nick pots off you with very little when cards like this come if you are OOP.

So in summary to the hand as played:

Pre - Fold

Flop - Fine

Turn - Bet pot

River - Fine.  If we were much deeper I might consider a blocker bet to deter thieves (obviously I'm repping the straight and a set/top two combo hand that has hit the house), then again it would depend on the opponent.
  • edited October 2011
    this is a good example of a pretty standard omaha hand.

Going through it step by step.

Pre: This would be a very marginal hand to call even if it were only a limped pot but as soon as it is raised it should be a snap fold. ( but i think you realise this already).

Flop:OOP 3 way you have only 2 options here and one of them depends on the original raiser. You can either pot bet out which you did or ( if the preflop aggressor is liable to c-bet most flops) then you have the option of going for the check rasie to take the pot totally out of control whilst holding the nuts. Check calling would be just about the worst option available at this point.

Turn: This is a nice blank card for you as it is not realistic to assume anyone has called a pot bet chasing a backdoor flush draw ( though it could be part of a combo hand.) Again you have 2 choices on this street and that is either to continue the aggression or start to excercise pot control. Unfortunately you did neither of these. Aggression would have been a full pot bet and pot control would have been a bet closer to half pot and your bet fell right inbetween these.

River this is one of many scare cards and it is always difficult to know what to do here without prior reads available. As soon as you check you have basically shown the white flag and given up on the pot so you are really forced to fold to any bet. I think in the long run you have probably played the river right but it is very hard to tell.

There are 3 main things to note in this hand that are always worth thinking about in future.
     Firstly this is a prime example of why you should not play very marginal hands OOP in a raised pot because despite hitting the miracle you are still very vulnerable.

Secondly. If we look at your hand after the flop. Yes you have the nuts but your hand is also dead as you have no extensions or redraws. This means you can only take down the pot with aggression or by hitting runner runner blanks. This leads to one of the peculiarities of omaha, which is if your flop had been raised and rerasied behind you then folding the nuts would have been the most profitable long term play. Rule to remember is always try not to be involved in big pots with dead nuts.

Thirdly the value bet put in by your opponent on the river is too big and you need to ask yourself why. If he believes he has the best hand then surely he would want to get paid for it especially after calling 2 streets to keep the pot under control whilst chasing. Unfortunately i can not answer this question but for future reference it needs to be looked into maybe in other hands involving this player.

I hope some of this is of some use to you.