You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Stopping myself playing "speculative" hands!!

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I like playing small stake MTT's (usually DS) I play fairly tight early on but over the last week I've noticed more and more hands that I'm "tempted" to play, but fold pre, come good and someone takes down a pot with, e.g.a small pair, or A high!. When this happens 2/3 times I think to myself "Nxt hand I'm playing anything half decent!"  I always chicken out as I know it's "prob" the correct play to fold but it keeps happening!! .  IS this common and how do you the "regs" cope? DO you just treat every hand in isolation and forget about the last one? I'm just after a bit of advice/guidance??? Thanks.
 I've just plucked this HH out as an example ---ok i'm oop & I don't know for definite I would have won but you get the idea/dilemma. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jasp3315 Small blind  10.00 10.00 6415.00
FlyingDagg Big blind  20.00 30.00 4920.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

presenter Call  20.00 50.00 4635.00
pickled35 Fold     
SHEWAZ Fold     
Glenelg Fold     
jasp3315 Raise  30.00 80.00 6385.00
FlyingDagg Fold     
presenter Call  20.00 100.00 4615.00
Flop

• A
  • K

jasp3315 Check     
presenter Check     
Turn

jasp3315 Bet  50.00 150.00 6335.00
presenter Fold     
jasp3315 Muck     
jasp3315 Win  100.00  6435.00
jasp3315 Return  50.00 0.00 6485.00

Comments

• edited October 2011
    O yeah I would of have flopped a full house - blah blah blah

Seriously just don't worry about it, otherwise you just end up playing every hand just in case you hit
    If it's cheap and they play well like J10s, then go for it.
  • edited October 2011

Q6 off!? It's a bag of poo. You're OOP. Just fold pre. EVERY TIME. Well maybe unless the whole table limps then call, or raise.

• edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    I know the feeling. I think it happens to me quite a bit in cash!
    Then I check back and it doesn't really. You just remember the ones where it does.
    Keep folding hands like this or you'll just bleed your chips and end up having to shove with marginal hands.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Stopping myself playing "speculative" hands!!:
    I like playing small stake MTT's (usually DS) I play fairly tight early on but over the last week I've noticed more and more hands that I'm "tempted" to play, but fold pre, come good and someone takes down a pot with, e.g.a small pair, or A high!. When this happens 2/3 times I think to myself "Nxt hand I'm playing anything half decent!"  I always chicken out as I know it's "prob" the correct play to fold but it keeps happening!! .  IS this common and how do you the "regs" cope? DO you just treat every hand in isolation and forget about the last one? I'm just after a bit of advice/guidance??? Thanks.  I've just plucked this HH out as an example ---ok i'm oop & I don't know for definite I would have won but you get the idea/dilemma.  Posted by Glenelg
    We lick our lips when we see someone else turn over these hands at showdown.
  • edited October 2011
    Play suited connectors and set mine in the early stages, but you should only be playing hands as bad as Q6 if actionhas been folded to you on the button/small blind and raise with tight players behind

By the way I've tried answering you're question in JRH's thread
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Stopping myself playing "speculative" hands!!:
    Play suited connectors and set mine in the early stages, but you should only be playing hands as bad as Q6 if actionhas been folded to you on the button/small blind and raise with tight players behind By the way I've tried answering you're question in JRH's thread
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    I'm def getting better at NOT playing dodgy hands but it is sometimes VERY difficult when I've not played a hand for a few orbits & the ones I've binned would have been good! lol  I'm not the most patient of people and the "red mist" comes down occasionally!  On the plus side I don't tilt! 
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Stopping myself playing "speculative" hands!!:
    In Response to Re: Stopping myself playing "speculative" hands!! : I'm def getting better at NOT playing dodgy hands but it is sometimes VERY difficult when I've not played a hand for a few orbits & the ones I've binned would have been good! lol  I'm not the most patient of people and the "red mist" comes down occasionally!  On the plus side I don't tilt! 
    Posted by Glenelg

I really wish I had called...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    daniel92 Small blind  75.00 75.00 965.00
    eggead807 Big blind  150.00 225.00 2105.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

ReedEmNWee Fold     
    BADBOY Fold     
    Poker_Fail Fold     
    chinchin Raise  300.00 525.00 1005.00
    daniel92 All-in  965.00 1490.00 0.00