You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My first post. What mistakes did I make?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I have two hands that I played yesterday and was wondering what everyone else thought.

The first one I am not sure about whether I should have shoved pre flop but once I chose to slow play my hand should i then have called on the flop.

bel24Small blind 300.00300.0018220.00JRH2009Big blind 600.00900.0012685.00 Your hole cardsKK   BizzylizzyRaise 2400.003300.006872.50rizla111Fold    jambonharvFold    steve1602Fold    bel24Fold    JRH2009Call 1800.005100.0010885.00Flop  A45   JRH2009Check    BizzylizzyAll-in 6872.5011972.500.00JRH2009Fold    BizzylizzyMuck    BizzylizzyWin 5100.00 5100.00BizzylizzyReturn 6872.500.0011972.50

My second hand I believe that I was destined to be all in no matter how the betting went.  Do any of you believe that maybe I could have got away from it.  Be as brutal as you want with your analyse because the only way I will get better is by listening to other point of views.

JubeiSmall blind 100.00100.006196.26alan1506Big blind 200.00300.006280.00 Your hole cardsKA   DrewMcRobbFold    JRH2009Raise 500.00800.002935.00aussie09Fold    JubeiFold    alan1506Raise 1200.002000.005080.00JRH2009All-in 2935.004935.000.00alan1506Call 2035.006970.003045.00alan1506ShowKK   JRH2009ShowKA   Flop  2K8   Turn  8   River <td style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5px;color:#666666;vertical-align:middle;font-family:verdana;text-align:left;font-size:0.9em;border-width:1px;border-color:#badffd;border-style:solid;margin:0px

Comments

• edited October 2011
    KK youve said in ur OP shove pre. Very easy shove. As played u have to fold flop.

the AK hand well played and unlucky.
  • edited October 2011
    1 - I shove preflop here as that raise is very strong and imo they can not fold ANY hand and you get it in pre as a favorite unless that have AA lol

2 - 2nd looks fine mate, just unlucky they have KK, they could have smaller pairs or AQ maybe, you're also still about 30% which isn't bad.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make?:
    KK youve said in ur OP shove pre. Very easy shove. As played u have to fold flop. the AK hand well played and unlucky.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Cheers for the response.  I just have been laying down to many KK on the flop recently.  I know its not true, but everytime I have had KK recently it feels as if its a magnet for an ace to hit the flop.  which I think is another reason why I may be slightly try to slow play the kingd a bit.
  • edited October 2011
    considering stack sizes on hand 1 shove it pre also out of posistion. Although i wouldnt automatically credit him with the ace because of the shove but as he got to bet first you have to fold majority of the time,
    2nd hand if this is a dym i would fold to reraise as on bubble and still have a decent stack for blinds if anything else well played and ul he turned up with kings
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make? : Cheers for the response.  I just have been laying down to many KK on the flop recently.  I know its not true, but everytime I have had KK recently it feels as if its a magnet for an ace to hit the flop.  which I think is another reason why I may be slightly try to slow play the kingd a bit.
    Posted by JRH2009
    Theres a guy i know whos favorite saying is "why is it everytime i have Kings, theres an ace on the flop"

Theres going to be an ace on average on 1 in every 5 flops. that that means for every 5 times on average we get kings we're going to have 1 Ace spot, possibly on Straight flushy flop and 2 or 3 simple ones.

Now over time your kings will win you money. But its these tough ones that imo can make or break us.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make? : Theres a guy i know whos favorite saying is "why is it everytime i have Kings, theres an ace on the flop" Theres going to be an ace on average on 1 in every 5 flops. that that means for every 5 times on average we get kings we're going to have 1 Ace spot, possibly on Straight flushy flop and 2 or 3 simple ones. Now over time your kings will win you money. But its these tough ones that imo can make or break us.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I know what your saying is correct I just need to make sure these sort of hands don't affect future pots with me going on tilt or believing that people are pushing me off hands with trash.  

Cheers to all for the comments I am off to bust aces with 72 off.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make? : Theres a guy i know whos favorite saying is "why is it everytime i have Kings, theres an ace on the flop" Theres going to be an ace on average on 1 in every 5 flops. that that means for every 5 times on average we get kings we're going to have 1 Ace spot, possibly on Straight flushy flop and 2 or 3 simple ones. Now over time your kings will win you money. But its these tough ones that imo can make or break us.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi Don,
    Just curious where you got that figure from or how do you work it out? Is it simply 3 x 4 x 5? (NOT disputing it BTW)
    AM trying to learn pot odds at the moment hence my Q.  Any tips?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make? : Hi Don, Just curious where you got that figure from or how do you work it out? Is it simply 3 x 4 x 5? (NOT disputing it BTW) AM trying to learn pot odds at the moment hence my Q.  Any tips?
    Posted by Glenelg
    There are 50 unknown cards and 3 of them will be on the flop, an estimate of working it out is 50/4 is the chance of 1 card being an ace, divide by 3 for the flop cards. So it's roughly 1 in 4.17 (when you have KK or any 2 non-ace cards)

As in this situation though, it is very likely the oppo has an ace, so for instance if you 100% know they have Ax, the chance would be roughly 50/3= 16.666, then divided by 3 again  1 in 5.56ish

EDIT: I suck at explaining things
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make? : There are 50 unknown cards and 3 of them will be on the flop, an estimate of working it out is 50/4 is the chance of 1 card being an ace, divide by 3 for the flop cards. So it's roughly 1 in 4.17 (when you have KK or any 2 non-ace cards) As in this situation though, it is very likely the oppo has an ace, so for instance if you 100% know they have Ax, the chance would be roughly 50/3= 16.666, then divided by 3 again  1 in 5.56ish EDIT: I suck at explaining things
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    THought it would be something along those lines.  It's actually a good stat to know in decision-making. Ta.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My first post. What mistakes did I make? : THought it would be something along those lines.  It's actually a good stat to know in decision-making. Ta.
    Posted by Glenelg
    No problem, I suck at explaining things so at least you understood it!