You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

all in situations

hi im new to poker but in sng tournamets when someone goes all in all the time before flops surely they cant have a hand all the time can they how can you tell o r do you just go with gut instict alot of these players just fish but is there any way of really noing

Comments

• edited October 2009
    It all depends on the time in the game.  If it is where the blinds are massive (200/400, 300/600) then the only option is really to go all in. 

I always look at it that if u raise and then get reraised what are u going to do? If u fold its left u short, but if u call its a really horrid feeling and u dont like it.  eg

I raise with QJ and get reraised all in by KJ. I um and ah and call and Im dominated / or fold and Im very short stacked.

Instead of this I go all in with QJ. The opponent with KJ then has to decide whether they want to call and put most or all of their chips at risk with KJ - a completely different proposition for them which will probably result in them passing and choosing to find a better spot.  I have therefore, taken the tricky decision away from me and given it to my opponent instead.

Finally, the average hand is Q7.  Generally, when the blinds are big and it gets folded to u with Q7 or better, it is a good time to get ur money in.  You can';t wait forever or you'll get blinded away.

Hope this helps and good luck.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi seza

I am assuming this is in the early or middle stages of a sit 'n go tournament.
    These players don't have a hand every time. As far I I am concerned, they don't know how to play proper poker, so this is the way they play.
    All you can do is wait for the premium hands and push back and hope you hand stands up against their mostly rubbish hands.
    You will get beaten due to the variances in poker but if you play this way against them you will not be too bad.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi seza. I played a freeroll recently where from the first hand a player went all in everytime regardless. (this does tend 2 happen alot especially in freerolls) Ihave seen it of course in other tourneys also and it is frustrating. My cards were particularly weak so I just stayed out of his way and eventually a bigger stack came 2 the table. The all in guy pushed his luck too far and was busted out. But no u never really know when these people have really woken up with a strong hand so tread carefully! all the best. 
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to all in situations:
    hi im new to poker but in sng tournamets when someone goes all in all the time before flops surely they cant have a hand all the time can they how can you tell o r do you just go with gut instict alot of these players just fish but is there any way of really noing
    Posted by seza0120
    I wouldn't assume they're fish. If you're on the bubble, the all-in player has a big stack and the other 2 are similarly stacked, it could well be right to go all-in blind. When faced with someone like this, don't you just wish the other guy would call and get knocked out? Well the other guy is thinking the same, so you both fold hand after hand!

I tried this in a SnG once and got both players down to about 100 chips while I had about 8,800! 1st place was guaranteed.