You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Please help me with my poker game

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all Im lost please help

1:If i have less then 10bbs in MTT or DYM and im on the button what do i do? shove with any two or shove with any two suited. now if there is a raise before does the same rule apply.

ALSO:
2: Cant seem to make the final table on mtts because my cards go dead. how do i play? i know i cant sit and wait because it does not work. what range of cards should i raise with? and if a player raises before me and im on BB what do i do Re-raise/Fold or Call

Im a bit lost so please help all information will be taken on board Thanks P.M me if you wish.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Dyms and MTT shoving ranges are very different.
    I like to play shallow so my view will be different to other posters but i regularly cash in MTT's and am a profitable player MTT wise.
    I wouldnt recommend shoving with any ace when short stacked as your getting called by most aces i would much rather get it in with JT 89 56 suited or really any two also dont get cute with big hands when less than 20 bb get it in pre dont limp unless your sure you will get raised pre or squeezed on.
    If there is a raise b4 you only get it in with a good hand dont go coming back over the top with AT or less or low pp, just fold and wait.
    Your cards prob don't go dead your range just gets tighter as blinds increase try moving up and down the gears raise in posistion fold to 3 bets but dont stop raising if you are 3 bet the hand b4.
    Dont allow any free flops when in blinds if limped on raise and raise big unless reads on strong limpers.
    If you have a good grasp on the table ranges and there is a raise and a call from UTG and then UTG +1 don't be afraid to squeeze as its a good way to build your chip stack but dont do it every time pick your spots.
    It's more to do with posistion late in tournaments not so much hand ranges. The c-bet is the winner when deep so dont be afraid to bet a missed flop your opponent only hits one in 3.
    If you really want to improve MTT games play a few main events and the gtd tournaments in the day i wouldnt play BH's as ranges are wild and not much skill until late
    Hope this helps
  • edited October 2011

MTT's and DYM's are very different.

MTT's are all about winning all of the chips, as the payouts are heavily weighted to the top 3 places in a multi runner field.
    In DYM's you just want to stay afloat.

In MTT's , shoving an unopened button, with any two cards, with less than 10BB's is almost certainly +Chip EV.
    How profitable depends on how tight the blinds are calling.
    If they each call the top 12.5% of hands (relatively tight....77+, A9s+, ATo+, KJo+ etc...) you add 1.5BB's to your stack 75%+ of the time, and are still about 33% to win the hand when called.

The wider the blinds call, the less profitable it is.

Therefore, if you have shoved a couple of times already, consider that, if they are watching, they should be calling lighter next time. Tighten your range up a little bit if you think this is the case.

You could also think about how you play with a slightly bigger stack.
    If you have 13 - 20BB's, you have a good reshove stack.

If a player, who is opening quite often (i.e. not waiting for premium hands), and has a similar, or larger stack than yours, makes it 3BB's, you have a good stack size to shove all in with a wide range of hands (generally hands that have some value if called).
    It's a good way to add 4.5BB's to your stack, and if you are called, you can still be 30 - 40%+ to double up.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks guys very interesting read. i can now see a couple of errors i make.