You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

from the omahartigan league last night

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi All your observations on the following hand would be greatly appreciated

I would like to say at this point I'm very new to omaha, however I felt that the player i was involved in the pot with had been active and therefore i went with it, I got a fair amount of comments in the chat box too from the player in question i would just like to know if this was a "terrible call"......

xx
Small blind 40.0040.005111.24xxBig blind 80.00120.004975.00 Your hole cardsK25K   xxCall 80.00200.002557.50xxRaise 320.00520.005455.00xxFold    scouse_redRaise 800.001320.004998.76xxFold    xxFold    xxFold    xxRaise 2280.003600.003175.00scouse_redCall 1800.005400.003198.76Flop  56Q   xxAll-in 3175.008575.000.00scouse_redAll-in 3198.7611773.760.00scouse_redUnmatched bet 23.7611750.0023.76xxShow1010AA   scouse_redShowK25K   Turn  8   River  5   scouse_redWinThree 5s11750.00 11773.76

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I think I flat the initial raise looking for a set of kings but this could be bad too, once you 3 bet and he 4 bets its a fold for me. Also folding the flop.
    Your hand is really quite poor for omaha.
  • edited October 2011
    Think i just fold pre. other then KK the rest of your hand doesnt work all that well together.

Def fold to 4bet when you call you have to know he has some sort of AA and your flush draw could be dead.

Its a horrible flop for your hand so I would fold again.

Got lucky easy game =)
  • edited October 2011

Hi Chris, like yourself I'm VERY new to omaha and played the tourney last nite.  I think it's prob down to the same prob as I have with PLO in "oh I got a pair whoopee" kinda reaction.  Also, I suffer from "Surely with a big pair I'll def get summit on the flop".  I'm always keen to see a flop (mind you I have that bad habit in HE as well! lol).  I have to say I'd prob have given this on up on the flop tho.  NH tho!
    pad
    p.s.  The 30p DYM PLO's are GREAT practice and fun. I got mugged for 30p last nite by 3 x TPTers!! BUt it was worth it as one kindly gave me some free tuition on PLO! Hows that for community spirit!

• edited October 2011
    its a easy fold with the 4 bet from the villain obvious they have aa here and when a q high flop with the all in could easily have a set here in my view with kk your never ahead 
  • edited October 2011
    Firstly the most important thing to realise about starting hand selection is that quantity is better than quality. This means that you need to be looking at the number of nut-drawing hands you have and not just at how strong they are.

With KK52 you have 2 of your possible 6 hands nut drawing, KK and 52. This makes this a weak starting hand so is one that you need to see a cheap flop to hit big or get out with minimal damage. And seeing as though you are only looking for a flop that contains a King or 34 this is unlikely.

With this in mind i think your 3-bet preflop was unwise with such a weak hand because you were infating the pot with very little chance of flopping big.As soon as the 4-bet comes in for me you have only 2 choices fold or get it all in pre and hope to get lucky. The flat call here again i believe to be unwise because any flop bet will be asking you for your entire stack. For me the fold would have been the best option here.

When the flop comes down you have to realise that unlike in NLHE an overpair to the board is worth virtually nothing and so calling off your entire stack with such a holding is a long term losing play.

So overall the main advice i can give here is not to overplay big PP (despite winning this hand) and try to play more hands that work together really well like 89TJ ds which has all 6 available hands nut drawing.

Hopefully this is of some use to you and feel free to ask any more questions because omaha advice is always available to those who desire it.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: from the omahartigan league last night:
    Firstly the most important thing to realise about starting hand selection is that quantity is better than quality. This means that you need to be looking at the number of nut-drawing hands you have and not just at how strong they are. With KK52 you have 2 of your possible 6 hands nut drawing, KK and 52. This makes this a weak starting hand so is one that you need to see a cheap flop to hit big or get out with minimal damage. And seeing as though you are only looking for a flop that contains a King or 34 this is unlikely. With this in mind i think your 3-bet preflop was unwise with such a weak hand because you were infating the pot with very little chance of flopping big.As soon as the 4-bet comes in for me you have only 2 choices fold or get it all in pre and hope to get lucky. The flat call here again i believe to be unwise because any flop bet will be asking you for your entire stack. For me the fold would have been the best option here. When the flop comes down you have to realise that unlike in NLHE an overpair to the board is worth virtually nothing and so calling off your entire stack with such a holding is a long term losing play. So overall the main advice i can give here is not to overplay big PP (despite winning this hand) and try to play more hands that work together really well like 89TJ ds which has all 6 available hands nut drawing. Hopefully this is of some use to you and feel free to ask any more questions because omaha advice is always available to those who desire it.
    Posted by Talon
    Scouse, This guy knows what he's on about, absolutely spot on.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: from the omahartigan league last night:
    In Response to Re: from the omahartigan league last night : Scouse, This guy knows what he's on about, absolutely spot on.
    Posted by tallboy
    +1 I've been reading Talons replies on Omaha and this one is another good insight to PLO Chris....
    http://tinyurl.com/62ybk6y
    pad
  • edited October 2011
    great responses thank you very much. Talon I take my hat off to you m8 this is exactly what I was hoping for. Pad I'll probably see you on 30p omaha DYMs very soon lol