You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Notes

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Ok ive asked this before but i still think my notes suck.

So im curious what makes a good note?

Currently my notes consist mostly of. "any two suited" "standard fish" my favorite "VALUE TOWN!!!" "TAG" "REG - (Level)"

but brute honesty. I really do think many of my notes are that good.

Comments

• edited October 2011

Player status –

Player’s tendencies –  

No. Of tables and level –

Info on open/3bet/4 bet ranges -

Info on how they play certain situations –

• edited October 2011
    when do you get this info rancid, i just gone up to 6 tables and i cant get that much info. don im getting about as much info as you got written down,  only extra bit i put down if they slow play a big hand
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes:
    when do you get this info rancid, i just gone up to 6 tables and i cant get that much info. don im getting about as much info as you got written down,  only extra bit i put down if they slow play a big hand
    Posted by pod1
    Yeah i think thats an issue when ur 6 tabling as certainly i 6 table.

tbh, How many tables they play doesnt bother me. If theyre on more than one of my tables ill keep an extra eye on them and see how they playing. Some people can play LAG poker on 28 tables. So can only play TAG on 4.
  • edited October 2011
    Posted by pod1
    This should be the ideal notes with everything filled in but tbh I start with just the number of tables and the level then if they are solid/stack light or dead money
    Then just add in any other info that I feel I can use against them later

I find general terms give you good info on the players tendacies anyway.
    Easier just identifing the regs and value first so you can table select and find the easy money.

example:
    1 table NL4
    calls 3 bet oop w/ace rag
    complete donk donk donk
    calls 5x raise w/A10 IP, thinks he is golden with it on a A high flop

• edited October 2011
    I personally wouldn't note someone as playing 1 table, right now that's true but people can get better however once you play more than one it's hard to go back to just single tabling.

A typical note for me goes like so :-

DEAD MONEY NL10 - OL pre w/K6 C 4x R OOP, C/C F w/2ndP, T R/S (meaning - open limp pre with K6 call 4x raise out of position, check/call flop with 2nd pair, turn river same), this obvz for bad player and just gives me reminder why they're so bad for future.

Multitable 4 tables NL10 - R 3x pre w/KQ, BF w/TPGK, T R/S (meaning - raise 3x pre with KQ, bet flop with top pair good kicker, turn river same) Regs are obvz harder to be sure on though but for me it's just about identifying them and then staying clear.

The one thing I get annoyed with is the way anything written past about halfway in yellow box just dissapears or gets churned into random symbols.
  • edited October 2011
    The one thing I get annoyed with is the way anything written past about halfway in yellow box just dissapears or gets churned into random symbols.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Yeah this sends me up the wall!! I'll spend good time and effort on notes when the situation dictates so to come back and find large portions of a players notes missing is REALLY INFURIATING arghhhhh. I've mentioned this in several other note related posts now and had no feedback from tech. services - but live in hope.

Interesting to read your note taking ideas guys, I'd like to keep much much more detailed notes (even though playing at lower micro levels) but the noting system really puts me off.

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Notes : Yeah this sends me up the wall!! I'll spend good time and effort on notes when the situation dictates so to come back and find large portions of a players notes missing is REALLY INFURIATING arghhhhh. I've mentioned this in several other note related posts now and had no feedback from tech. services - but live in hope. Interesting to read your note taking ideas guys, I'd like to keep much much more detailed notes (even though playing at lower micro levels) but the noting system really puts me off.
    Posted by step7

Hello step7 we spent quite a lot of time on the same table tonight.

Firstly:  Always date your notes.  A note that is 6 months old could be completely useless and could cost you a lot of money before you realise it.

I tend to stick to the basics when note taking;

Does the villain in question call raises? from what position? what did they have at showdown?
    Are they aggressive? tight? loose? Passive? Positionally aware? i.e. stealing blinds (even at NL4 its possible to resteal).

So basically i try to pigeonhole my opponents and then value bet the stations and play tight against the TAGs.

I also keep note of any unusual plays e.g. raised utg with 44 (4xBB) c-bet wet flop with 2 overcards. cbet turn shut down river, as this helps me understand their general play and the range of hands they play.

If you find your notes are disappearing why not use a word document? Or a small notebook? This way your notes are shouldn't disappear and in some cases will be useful in a live poker setting as well as online