You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this a bad play?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
krg Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £21.72
arthur1965 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £84.34
  Your hole cards
  • A

bluff1991 Fold        
Levantius Fold        
BigHawk89 Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £28.65
krg Fold        
arthur1965 Call   £0.60 £1.95 £83.74
Flop

• K

arthur1965 Check        
BigHawk89 Check        
Turn

arthur1965 Bet   £1.95 £3.90 £81.79
BigHawk89 Call   £1.95 £5.85 £26.70
River

arthur1965 Bet   £5.85 £11.70 £75.94
BigHawk89 All-in   £26.70 £38.40 £0.00
arthur1965 All-in   £75.94 £114.34 £0.00
arthur1965 Unmatched bet   £55.09 £59.25 £55.09
arthur1965 Show

BigHawk89 Show
  • A

arthur1965 Win Full House, 6s and 9s £57.45   £112.54

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Any particular reason you didnt c bet?
    When arthur1965 pot bets twice I get worried.
  • edited October 2011
    for pot control really, id been playing with arthur all night and on another table he pot bet 3 streets with air. I also thought a weaker 9 was in his range but felt i made a mistake when i shoved.
  • edited October 2011
    I would'nt beat ureself up over it , just unlucky really , ya cant keep puttin players on a fh when ya river ure trips
  • edited October 2011
    ah interesting, note/history dependant I generally don't see arthur bluff, I can see why you shoved though and I think you can get called by worse 9s and 2 pair hands enough to make it ok. 
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this a bad play?:
    ah interesting, note/history dependant I generally don't see arthur bluff, I can see why you shoved though and I think you can get called by worse 9s and 2 pair hands enough to make it ok. 
    Posted by NColley
    +1
  • edited October 2011
    why are u playing ace 9 in the 1st place recipee for disaster these kind of hands get u in trouble i would of just called on the river u are only getting called by better in my opinion 
  • edited October 2011
    surely folding ace 9 from the button is way too nitty?
  • edited October 2011
    lol @ arthur not bluffing...

i always c bet this board, 3/4 pot

as played the shove is prob best option as u cant raise/fold and im never flatting against this villain. 
  • edited October 2011
    arthur is a phenom.

Must be 20 buy ins at least up against me at 20/30/40.

I have a full note box on him, and still no idea how he plays.

Then I skope him, and cry into my cider.

How. Just how does he do it to me @ cash time and time again.

What about a raise/fold on this river? ;)
  • edited October 2011
    lol @ arthur not bluffing... i always c bet this board, 3/4 pot as played the shove is prob best option as u cant raise/fold and im never flatting against this villain. 
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    I prob bet the flop...

• edited October 2011
    arthur is a phenom. Must be 20 buy ins at least up against me at 20/30/40. I have a full note box on him, and still no idea how he plays. Then I skope him, and cry into my cider. How. Just how does he do it to me @ cash time and time again. What about a raise/fold on this river? ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I know the feeling DOHH, no matter what i do i never seem to get the better of athur, think the best play would be to leave the table soon as he joins. Problem solved :)
  • edited October 2011
    I'm sure a raise/fold on this river is probably awful, but don't know why...

Can someone explain it for me?
  • edited October 2011
    I'm sure a raise/fold on this river is probably awful, but don't know why... Can someone explain it for me?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    why would we raise fold? If we aren't confident where we are we should just flat. If we raise with the intention of folding to a shove we invite hands that we beat to bet us off. Just my opinion but we should only ever raise this river for value.
  • edited October 2011
    What a ridonkulous suggestion by me, I've only just realised why.

I was actually being serious too. 

• edited October 2011
    What a ridonkulous suggestion by me, I've only just realised why. I was actually being serious too. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    are you gonna share your thoughts to help us donks become better players or what ? ;)

come on tell us why!
  • edited October 2011
    simple answer why play ace 9 in the 1st place lalalalalala unless u wanna lose money for instance ace high flop do u rerally know where u are no u dnt so just bin these ace rag hands 
  • edited October 2011
    I'm always warey of potsized bets. It's 1 of 2 things... He has the nuts (or basically the nuts) or he had total air. Either way shoving isn't great as you either get no more value because he has a bust flush or you go busto because he has a house. I think I would flat here, Arthur is always open to donk some more chips off later.

If it was a 3/4 pot of 1/2 pot bet then I put a raise in, but as said above I probs flat because I'm a wimp and then look like a tool when he flips over A high
  • edited October 2011
    surely folding ace 9 from the button is way too nitty?
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Correct
  • edited October 2011
    why does everyone want to bet that flop?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this a bad play? : why would we raise fold? If we aren't confident where we are we should just flat. If we raise with the intention of folding to a shove we invite hands that we beat to bet us off. Just my opinion but we should only ever raise this river for value.
    Posted by NColley

if we raise/fold the river that doesnt mean that we are bluffing, it means that we think he will call with worse hands and only 3bet jam with better hands. its weird in this spot because of SPR and his river betsize. if we think he only shoves with his fullhouses but will payoff with worse 9's then we have to count combinations of hands he has that beat us vs the hands that we beat that will call a 3bet. if more combos will call with worse than shove/call with better then we can raise the river profitably, and fold if he shoves
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this a bad play? : if we raise/fold the river that doesnt mean that we are bluffing, it means that we think he will call with worse hands and only 3bet jam with better hands. its weird in this spot because of SPR and his river betsize. if we think he only shoves with his fullhouses but will payoff with worse 9's then we have to count combinations of hands he has that beat us vs the hands that we beat that will call a 3bet. if more combos will call with worse than shove/call with better then we can raise the river profitably, and fold if he shoves
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    ahh thanks for this, makes sense!
  • edited October 2011
    why does everyone want to bet that flop?
    Posted by grantorino
    its hard to flop a pair
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this a bad play? : its hard to flop a pair
    Posted by lynx3ffect
    I agree, but doesnt answer my question,why does that mean hero should bet flop?
  • edited October 2011
    Don't think this is bad, he could have a K or worse 9
    Delayed flop bet with K is likely

Question is does he call shove with worse, maybe not
    You could call on the end but it feels like your missing value

UL