You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I'm afraid i'm going to moan guys

edited October 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
I've got to say i can't be bothered to play this site much more with its ridiculous bad beats. there is something very wrong about 5 10 beating KK(not one of my hands) and KK losing out to J5 suited( didn't even hit the flush but hit the idiot end of the straight) after an all in. i haven't changed my play and used to steadily build my bank roll up but being turned over so many times by idiots playing with absolute rubbish is highly annoying. its almost like this site rewards bad play and punishes people who do generally know what they're doing. i can handle losing KK against AA( just happened actually) but some of the outdraws i've suffered recently, to me defies variance. its funny how often, when you've called an all in after the flop, the two pair lose out to a flush but when you call an all in with a potential flush it doesn't transpire and then you're left thinking how very unfair this all is especially when you've been playing the site for a while and the same people keep hitting the flop or getting extremely lucky. i know people can do what they want with their own money but its highly irritating seeing bad calls rewarded

Comments

• edited October 2009
    In Response to I'm afraid i'm going to moan guys:
    I've got to say i can't be bothered to play this site much more with its ridiculous bad beats. there is something very wrong about 5 10 beating KK(not one of my hands) and KK losing out to J5 suited( didn't even hit the flush but hit the idiot end of the straight) after an all in. i haven't changed my play and used to steadily build my bank roll up but being turned over so many times by idiots playing with absolute rubbish is highly annoying. its almost like this site rewards bad play and punishes people who do generally know what they're doing. i can handle losing KK against AA( just happened actually) but some of the outdraws i've suffered recently, to me defies variance. its funny how often, when you've called an all in after the flop, the two pair lose out to a flush but when you call an all in with a potential flush it doesn't transpire and then you're left thinking how very unfair this all is especially when you've been playing the site for a while and the same people keep hitting the flop or getting extremely lucky. i know people can do what they want with their own money but its highly irritating seeing bad calls rewarded
    Posted by jagged
    Hi jagged,

I'm afraid, certainly in the short-term, that poker is like life. It's not always fair. It's all about how we handle that "unfairness", though, how we cope when the wind is in our face.

I hope your luck changes soon, wherever you decide to play.
  • edited October 2009

There are players on EVERY internet poker site that complain that the site is rigged. Or that hands are fixed to provide more action. Or that they always start to lose when they cashout.

Live poker is no different - stand in a bar in any poker room in the country and you will hear a steady succession of bad beat stories, and tales starting with, 'I had AA .............'.

Truth is in most spots there is a percentage chance of losing.
    When that percentage is small and it still comes in against you it hurts.
    Over your poker lifetime it will happen lots of times.
    If you can't handle it with a shrug and a smile then it is probably better to find something else to fill your time.

Hope it turns round for you. GL.

• edited October 2009
    Bad beats are always going to happen and it seems like you have more when playing online, but you have to remember that you play more hands online and therefore you are more liable to bad beats.
    That is the variance of poker, no matter how far ahead you are you can always be outdraw.
    I saw a hand last night in the open when a set of 4's was called by A high and runner runner A came to beat him.
    That is the beauty of poker, all 5 community cards have to be seen before a hand is decided.
    Your luck will improve, and if you get your chips in ahead, then you will win more than you lose.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: I'm afraid i'm going to moan guys:
    There are players on EVERY internet poker site that complain that the site is rigged. Or that hands are fixed to provide more action. Or that they always start to lose when they cashout. Live poker is no different - stand in a bar in any poker room in the country and you will hear a steady succession of bad beat stories, and tales starting with, 'I had AA .............'. Truth is in most spots there is a percentage chance of losing. When that percentage is small and it still comes in against you it hurts. Over your poker lifetime it will happen lots of times. If you can't handle it with a shrug and a smile then it is probably better to find something else to fill your time. Hope it turns round for you. GL.
    Posted by jakally
    thanks for the advice jakally, i know i'll keep playing on sky and,don't get me wrong, i don't think for a second that the site is rigged. i love playing poker but when its going against you over a long period it does become hard to swallow. i think i just need a break for a while and not a change of site
  • edited October 2009

I'VE BEEN FEELING EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOU LATELY. HAD SO MANY BAD BEATS AND IDIOT PLAYERS, BEEN THINKING OF QUITING OR CHANGING SITES.  BUT WHEN YOU HAVE TIME TO REFLECT YOU REALISE THERE ARE MANY TIMES YOU GO IN WELL BEHIND AND HIT ON THE RIVER, WE ALL MAKE RASH DECISIONS AND BAD PLAY SOMETIMES, WHEN THINGS ARE GOING AGAINST US WE TEND TO FORGET ABOUT IT. I'VE  TRIED OTHER SITES AND ITS THE SAME WHEREVER YOU GO . SKY POKER IS THE BEST SITE , GREAT TOURNAMENTS, GREAT COMMUNITY, AND YOU GET TO WATCH IT ALL ON TV. HOPE YOU STICK WITH IT AS , OVER TIME IF YOU PLAY WELL YOU WILL COME OUT ON TOP. GOOD LOOK.

• edited October 2009
    To me, what seems to make the bad beat worse is that you inevitably end up losing a big chunk of your chips.  You've spent ages playing carefully, slowly building your stack and eventually you find yourself in a situation where you believe your are the favourite to win a big pot.  Except the board decides to hit the other guy in the face and your chips are decimated.  All that hard work has gone out of the window in seconds.

It's difficult, but you've got to try to find positives in these situations.  Congratulate yourself on getting your chips in with the best hand.  Tell yourself that if you were to play the same hand the same way a 100 times you would win the majority of times.

In my (limited) experience, the excitement you feel when you've won a big pot never quite makes up for the desperation you feel when you've lost one.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to I'm afraid i'm going to moan guys : Hi jagged, I'm afraid, certainly in the short-term, that poker is like life. It's not always fair. It's all about how we handle that "unfairness", though, how we cope when the wind is in our face. I hope your luck changes soon, wherever you decide to play.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay, thanks for the feedback. As i said to jakally..... i think i just need a break for a while and not a change of site. I'm finding i'm playing out of frustration and trying to equalise the poker karma rather than playing for the pure enjoyment of poker. See you soon buddy
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: I'm afraid i'm going to moan guys : Hi Tikay, thanks for the feedback. As i said to jakally..... i think i just need a break for a while and not a change of site. I'm finding i'm playing out of frustration and trying to equalise the poker karma rather than playing for the pure enjoyment of poker. See you soon buddy
    Posted by jagged
    Great to hear!

If you fancy some "Fun Poker" in the meantime, try the self-styled "DYM Club", which forms most nights after the Deepstacks finish.

Tonight it'll probably be Lisa (lML), MereDonkey, Hoggers, Hale, GlumBra, Orford The Donk, me, & whoever else fancies it. We just play back-to back DYM's for small stakes, slowroll & abuse each other, & just play silly poker. Though we are never quite sure if Mere & Hoggers are being serious, the difference between their A-Game & Z-game is invisible even to a trained eye.

You'd be very welcome to join in, as would anyone else. I'm not fussy who's money I win.
  • edited October 2009
    One other thing most people seem to forget is that some people play poker for fun all the time and dont mind losing money.  They probably get a kick out of cracking aa with 23 off.  But as said before we need these guys or else we dont make profit in the long run! 

As Jakally says you have to be able to shrug and move on and the key to this, as Tikay constantly reminds people, is playing within your bankrole.  If you do then the bad beats dont hurt.  Just get back on the bike and hope the villain stays round long enough for you to get your money back!
  • edited October 2009

Have a week off and genuinely ask yourself if you're being unlucky or playing badly. It's a tough question to answer.

• edited October 2009
    Have a week off and genuinely ask yourself if you're being unlucky or playing badly. It's a tough question to answer.
    Posted by BigBluster
    I am unlucky and I play badly lol but I take pride in being consistent.