You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what am I doing wrong?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi all,

the situation" after deal, I start with good hole cards ak, aq, kq ect, or pocket pair I raise preflop opponent re-raises, I call,
flop comes I hit something? either 2pr, flush, straight, or some other combo,
I shove it all in as advised by JK and others hoping to take down the pot early, but get called, only to be out drawn  on turn or river this seems to happen every time.

its becomming quite fustrating now.  what am I doing wrong???
as nobody is that unlucky so consistantly,

thanks

Comments

• edited October 2011
    you are running badly. Try adjusting your stride
  • edited October 2011
    Stop calling reraises?
  • edited October 2011
    how??
     some times it feels like both legs are tied togetter it happens that often
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: what am I doing wrong?:
    Stop calling reraises?
    Posted by step7
    sure but my point was most times the reraiser was bluffing showing say 2 odd cards off suit but still managed to out draw me, surely  a fold is the wrong thing to do.
  • edited October 2011
    Dont know who JK is but shoving on a flop after hitting 2 pair etc..is a bad idea, most of the time the opponent will just fold and you'll not get much value, if your're getting outdrawn then on the turn or river say to a flush, if u havent gone all in on flop it gives u chance to get away from the hand.

maybe post some hands for some guys to look at and tell u where ur going wrong
  • edited October 2011
    Stop calling reraises?
    Posted by step7
    All of the time ?? even when ahead ?? like to know how you win moniez then ??
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: what am I doing wrong? : sure but my point was most times the reraiser was bluffing showing say 2 odd cards off suit but still managed to out draw me, surely  a fold is the wrong thing to do.
    Posted by colnic1970
    Not if it means you still stay and get to play the next hand!! Sometimes you have to fold the winning hand to carry on...

It is all about the 7 cards not just the ones on show!!
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: what am I doing wrong? : Not if it means you still stay and get to play the next hand!! Sometimes you have to fold the winning hand to carry on... It is all about the 7 cards not just the ones on show!!
    Posted by Twenny_P
    So goin on the info that the OP has given ure sayin FOLD cos ya will still see the next hand ?? even when the OP shoves on flop OR turn with the best hand ?? really ??
  • edited October 2011
    it happened again tonite in free roll and crippled me just after break
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    colnic1970 Small blind   400.00 400.00 18495.00
    jeffo22 Big blind   800.00 1200.00 21850.00
      Your hole cards

OLDMAN04 Fold        
    Pavillion Fold        
    Param3dic Call   800.00 2000.00 10450.00
    SkinnyBird Fold        
    colnic1970 Call   400.00 2400.00 18095.00
    jeffo22 Check        
    Flop

colnic1970 Bet   2400.00 4800.00 15695.00
    jeffo22 Fold        
    Param3dic All-in   10450.00 15250.00 0.00
    colnic1970 Call   8050.00 23300.00 7645.00
    colnic1970 Show

Param3dic Show
    • A

Turn

• K

River

• J

Param3dic Win Flush to the Ace 23300.00   23300.00
    he went all inn with ace high and a possible flush draw reraising my bet on the turn while I had the straight on the flop he won on the river with j clubs
  • edited October 2011
    You're doing nothing wrong.

Part of poker is being able to deal with the losses, especially in tournament play.

I would advise that in freerolls players will gamble alot more.
  • edited October 2011
    Hand shown is standard and he is drawing to the nuts so money is going in. Dont limp into hands raise or fold dont play freerolls and get annoyed withg losing as you will lose in freerolls. Try only playing pots your the initial raiser in and fold to 3bets. Keep betting and never ever ever ever donk bet onto flops
  • edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    pre is a standard fold in hand you posted
  • edited October 2011
    hi thanks for the advice but I am still confused a bit, some say fold preflop some say bet after flop, but this is what I did,
    preflop, all though my hand was not strong I was on small blind all other players  folded player A limped in with just a call big blind checked it was only 400 to see the flop, after hitting a straight on the flop I did a standard 3x bet but was immedatly reraised by the all'in, given the cards on show and being on a cast iron straight i called as could not see any hand that would put me behind playerA had been play aggressivley all nite and winning pots by frightning other players into folding the best hand with all in's yes there was a possible flush draw BUT??

what would you have done

the OP was about consistanly losing in  similar situations the one posted just the latest incident in a long line of losses at the tables
  • edited October 2011
    Dont play so many hands, learn to use the fold button, if you are going to play a weak hand like 89 raise we really dont want to play this in a multi way pot, if they 3bet your weak hand muck it..... if you cant pump a hand dump it, use the fold button more and you will win more long term!
  • edited October 2011
    Dont play so many hands, learn to use the fold button, if you are going to play a weak hand like 89 raise we really dont want to play this in a multi way pot, if they 3bet your weak hand muck it..... if you cant pump a hand dump it, use the fold button more and you will win more long term!
    Posted by waynec
    thanks mate read your post and it struck a nerve, going over the hand history discovered 70% of the lossed pots were due to the re-raiser hitting a flush draw on turn or river.

bearing this in mind the last tourney I played in I deliberatly folded if re-raised post flop even when it turned out to be a winning hand. the consequence was instead of being dump out the tourney it kept my seat alive and although loosing a few chips along the way managed to get my FIRST payday on sky poker comming second

thanks again.