You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournement situation

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Playing live in a £20 feezeout last night with standard 100BB starting stack and 25 minute blinds. After level 3 I have trippled up and I'm joint chip leader. I've played tight but I flopped a set and won half a stack, ran queens into his kings and got lucky for the rest of his stack and got it all in pre with QQs against two short stacks for the rest.

Normally this would be a point to turn up the aggression to maintain my chip lead through the shortstacks busting out to final table domination. But the player to my left has almost the same number of chips as me and is a complete maniac. He limp-calls literally everything, bets with any pair and calls with any draw.

I come back and loose 1/3 of my stack to him almost imediately after flopping top pair against him and he called with bottom pair only to make trips on the river and pot bet me. I called coz I'm a huge fish.

After this I just played my normal game and didn't make any light raises or try to bluff the shortstacks because this player was involed in every hand. The table finally broke and I went to the final table with a below average stack of 15BBs

The story has a happy ending because I shoved with A4 ater this maniac limpped and he called with K9. I double up with ace-high and cash in 4th place. But could/should I have played more poker on this earlier table to maintaine my chip lead or was I right to be patient and wait for my spot.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I think you know that maniac on your left is going to hugely hamper your positional and stack size advantage.

I think I just look for spots to punish him, letting him undo himself.  But if these spots dont appea I think I'm just going to have to drop it down a notch and wait for him to do damage to the table or the rest of table damage him.  Then step on the gas again.

But If your hand has to win at showdown vs maniac each time its going to be hard to find a skill advantage
  • edited October 2011
    If he is a maniac then just wait for a hand and check it over to him.
    If you joint chip leader there is no need to be messing with the the other chip leader who is sitting on your left :S
    It's ok to bully but really it's great to have a big stack because you can take flips and apply pressure with minimum risk. Don't feel it's you job to bust everyone though otherwise you end up leaking your stack away.
  • edited October 2011
    if you have an aggressive maniac to your left with alot of chips you should tighten up your opening ranges and wait for a good spot to trap him. Think you did the right thing in this tournament just wait for a good spot, would have been a total different story if you had poisition on the maniac.